CaptainJackSparrow

The Little Mermaid | Disney | May 26, 2023 | Queen Halle will rule the summer!

5 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

dr-evil-one-billion.gif

I don't see this at all. Asian tracking is not good. Maybe japan will do fine. But it would need to pop off hard in Europe or LATAM for this and do much better numbers than Aladdin in those countries. Even if it hits the high end of DOM projections and does 400M, 600M OS is a very hard ask if asia doesn't show up.

Edited by JustLurking
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

I don't see this at all. Asian tracking is not good. Maybe japan will do fine. But it would need to pop off hard in Europe or LATAM for this and do much better numbers than Aladdin in those countries. Even if it hits the high end of DOM projections and does 400M, 600M OS is a very hard ask if asia doesn't show up.

That meme was more a cheeky response to domestic tracking going up than a prediction.

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, PNF2187 said:

Soundtrack is out digitally. Been listening to Under the Sea...

... and I can't stop listening to it. I have a problem. Mind you, Under the Sea is probably my single favourite Disney song and I'm a sucker for any version of it, so I was probably going to enjoy this regardless, but I fully expect this version to be eviscerated all over the internet.

Whatever. I love this version of Under the Sea, so I'll just keep listening to it.

It feels like there are points where Daveed really wanted to go for it but was stopped, but I do enjoy Halle singing along. It will grow on me I'm sure.

I'm a person who thinks Evermore is the best original song one of these remakes have done. I kind of like Wild Uncharted Waters.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Wait, I haven't heard of most of those shows, but why the heck are they removing Willow and Ivan and Magic Camp and Jeff Goldblum? 

If I want to be extra cynical, it's "not popular enough to draw in crowds on their own" but "too popular to want to pay residuals".  

It's that whole B/B- tier of properties from Big Shot all the way up to Willow which is the real eye opener.  

Looks like anything that doesn't have a Marvel or SW or Other Major Cultural Attachment isn't safe.

And, brother let me tell ya, if Disney can throw Willow over the ledge after just six months on the service despite it doing fairly decently in the Nielsen charts (actually charted/just missed on occasion), then a whole lot of lower-tier Marvel and Star Wars and Other Properties ain't safe either. 

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 4
  • Astonished 1

12 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Wait, I haven't heard of most of those shows, but why the heck are they removing Willow and Ivan and Magic Camp and Jeff Goldblum? 

My guess is that the data shows hardly anyone is watching them. I'm surprised the docs and factual series are being removed as I can't imagine they're that costly to keep on the service. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, DAJK said:

B/c they want me not to feel guilty when I cycle off D+ and back to Paramount+ on Black Friday?:)  (Yes, this is my kid cycle)...

4 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

My guess is that the data shows hardly anyone is watching them. I'm surprised the docs and factual series are being removed as I can't imagine they're that costly to keep on the service. 

You would be wrong, at least in the case of Willow, as that did draw in enough numbers to be noticed occasionally on the Nielsen charts. 

Or rather, it's more than hardly anyone watches ANY streaming shows beyond the big names and the whole model when it comes to NEW content is approaching a reckoning.

They're ultra caustic about this point, to the point of being really unhelpful, but it's a drum that TV Grim Reaper on Twitter has been banging for a long time:  Streaming is actually a terrible business model when it comes to overall viewing and the fact that none of the businesses are coming close to profitability, with the exception of Netflix (and we all know how cancel happy they are), is why I personally have been ultra-pessimistic about the WGA strike being over any time soon and I don't give great odds on a SAG-AFTRA strike being avoided.

This is drifting way off topic, naturally, but I do think folks don't realize just how fucked the whole streaming business model is.  At least IMO.

NB: I am not a doomer when it comes to streaming, it must be said.  And I ain't as down as TV Grim Reaper is, for that matter.  But, folks, let me tell ya.  The whole reckoning over all of this ain't gonna be pretty.

• Like 2