cannastop

Tuesday: Apoc $6.5M, Alice 2 $2.8M, Angry Birds $1.8M, Cap3 $1.5M, Neighbors 2 $1.3M

2 minutes ago, cannastop said:

And people wonder why animated features are so big.

I disagree, there is far more originality and creativity in animated movies than live-action atm.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Treecraft said:

I disagree, there is far more originality and creativity in animated movies than live-action atm.

I mostly agree, mainly focusing on blockbuster and hit level films. The playing field naturally evens at the art house level.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, cannastop said:

And people wonder why animated features are so big.

Looking at this summer, the only non-franchise plays (they could get sequels, but it is pretty clear that a sequel was not planned while making the movie) which are wide releases are:

- Money Monster

- The Darkness

- The Nice Guys

- Me Before You

- Popstar

- Free State of Jones

- BFG

- The Shallows

- Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates 

- Lights Out

- Bad Moms

- Nine Lives

- Most everything after August 5th i.e. the dump releases

12 movies in 3 months basically, almost all of them either horror, adult targeted dramas or R-rated comedies. The tentpole movies are pretty much all sequels all the time.

Very few options exist in the marketplace for either a non-sequel or a non "This is obviously going to be the first of a planned many, many movies if it is a hit". The issue is that every single movie cannot be the "Must see event of the summer", which leads to the underperformance of so many movies.

• Like 7

Just now, cannastop said:

That's what I meant. I'm surprised you think that, though.

I love animation, and I think we're going through almost a golden age of animation right now. There is so much variety, and since high-quality animation has become cheaper and cheaper, more and more studios can play around with new ideas in animated movies. Inside Out, The Tale of the Princess Kaguya, and Strange Magic were all in my top 10 movies last year, and they couldn't be more different. I loved Minions, The Good Dinosaur, Spongebob, and Shaun the Sheep too. Between all those, there are watercolours, 2D, 3D, stop-motion; franchises, original films, dramas, comedies, adventures and musicals. There's so much going on, more so than any other genre of major studio movies.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Treecraft said:

I love animation, and I think we're going through almost a golden age of animation right now. There is so much variety, and since high-quality animation has become cheaper and cheaper, more and more studios can play around with new ideas in animated movies. Inside Out, The Tale of the Princess Kaguya, and Strange Magic were all in my top 10 movies last year, and they couldn't be more different. I loved Minions, The Good Dinosaur, Spongebob, and Shaun the Sheep too. Between all those, there are watercolours, 2D, 3D, stop-motion; franchises, original films, dramas, comedies, adventures and musicals. There's so much going on, more so than any other genre of major studio movies.

And that's why calling animation a genre is an insult to animation.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, department store basement said:

With all the sequels underperforming will the "age of franchises" end soon, with only the gigantic brands like Star Wars surviving?

Not yet. They aren't bombing hard enough. I want to see how Universal's Monster Cinematic Universe plays out. 

We have a movie over 4000 theaters every weekend since March 25 and I assume that will continue at least until the July the 4th weekend.

8 minutes ago, department store basement said:

And that's why calling animation a genre is an insult to animation.

It is not a genre of film (obviously), I more meant as a genre or category within the public perception and from a marketing standpoint. Animated movies, at least family-oriented ones, are sold as being very similar, despite their vast chasms of difference.

Edited by Treecraft

5 minutes ago, CJohn said:

We have a movie over 4000 theaters every weekend since March 25 and I assume that will continue at least until the July the 4th weekend.

I think it'll continue until at least Ice Age 5/Star Trek Beyond weekend. Even one of those two might get 4000.

The streak might even last until Ben-Hur weekend.

Edited by department store basement

2 hours ago, Captain Craig said:

So it'll take till Friday for XM:A to hit $100m domestic then.

Is $200m out of the question, even if it had to crawl to that mark. 

2 hours ago, cannastop said:

Yes, very much so.

2 hours ago, department store basement said:

Yes.

50246-so-youre-telling-me-theres-a-c-4OL

• Like 3

1 hour ago, grim22 said:

Looking at this summer, the only non-franchise plays (they could get sequels, but it is pretty clear that a sequel was not planned while making the movie) which are wide releases are:

- Money Monster

- The Darkness

- The Nice Guys

- Me Before You

- Popstar

- Free State of Jones

- BFG

- The Shallows

- Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates 

- Lights Out

- Bad Moms

- Nine Lives

- Most everything after August 5th i.e. the dump releases

12 movies in 3 months basically, almost all of them either horror, adult targeted dramas or R-rated comedies. The tentpole movies are pretty much all sequels all the time.

Very few options exist in the marketplace for either a non-sequel or a non "This is obviously going to be the first of a planned many, many movies if it is a hit". The issue is that every single movie cannot be the "Must see event of the summer", which leads to the underperformance of so many movies.

I'm rooting for Passengers.  I wish it weren't coming out so close to Rogue One.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, CJohn said:

I imagine Independence Day will be over 4k for two weeks. Then Pets for the next two, IA5 and STB may be close but not quite over 4k theatres.

1 minute ago, Spaghetti said:

I imagine Independence Day will be over 4k for two weeks. Then Pets for the next two, IA5 and STB may be close but not quite over 4k theatres.

I assume Pets won't get 4000 theaters. 

Department store basement, there is only one question left? How are original movies doing? Tomorrowland last year came with hard write-downs for Disney. The nice guys didn't do terribly well. Hollywood has to make changes with sequels. But, what if the original movies do not perform or even bring big and painful losses?

Edited by superweirdo87