WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates (Page 50): The Conjuring 40.3M | Warcraft 24M | NYSM 23M| TMNT 14.8M | X-Men 10M | Me Before You 9.2M

You know what's in Dory's favor? Being a critically acclaimed (assuming the RT score stays in the 90s) family movie in a summer where they've been actively disinterested in most of their choices. TMNT, Angry Birds and Looking Glass are underperforming while Jungle Book remains in the top 10. When tickets are more expensive than ever families won't put down $100 or whatever unless the movie can deliver. 

Legs are more questionable though. Word is that it's good but not as good as the original and that's the sort of thinking that prevents repeat viewing. It can clear 100m next weekend and still not clear IO, I think. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Gopher said:

You know what's in Dory's favor? Being a critically acclaimed (assuming the RT score stays in the 90s) family movie in a summer where they've been actively disinterested in most of their choices. TMNT, Angry Birds and Looking Glass are underperforming while Jungle Book remains in the top 10. When tickets are more expensive than ever families won't put down $100 or whatever unless the movie can deliver. 

Legs are more questionable though. Word is that it's good but not as good as the original and that's the sort of thinking that prevents repeat viewing. It can clear 100m next weekend and still not clear IO, I think. 

Did anyone ever expect it to he as good as the original? The original is an all time classic to many people

2 minutes ago, filmnerdjamie said:

I expect a repeat of Toy Story 3/Despicable Me with Finding Dory/The Secret Life of Pets. Not that exact same amount of business but that model.

I agree.

Some people have been going insane with theit Pets predictions expecting similar to Zootopia. I think closer to 250M

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Gopher said:

As long as it does 110M it'll pass IO, it would need legs worse than MU to not pass it.

14 hours ago, Spaghetti4Real said:

The Force Awakens and WALL-E were the only movies I saw three times in theaters in recent memory.

WALL-E is my all time favourite movie in terms of cartoons.Only movie i have rated with a 10/10 if i could i would've put it even more.

SImply fantastic.

ANd yes winter soldier was better than CW but nowhere near a fantastic movie, nothing beats the Dark knight Saga.What comes close is Iron man 1(in my opinion).ANd i also enjoyed GOTG more than i thought i would

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Treecraft said:

Conjuring 2 may technically be ahead in numbers, but it is a sequel to something audiences were already familiar with and liked, whereas Warcraft is original. So that's the real win.

DOesnt even matter tbh.If  Warcraft makes 10-20 mill less or more than expected in US. It already sits in 277 million foreign.144million from CHina and an impressive 100 million propably from Europe.WHo cares about Muricans, let them pay 330 mmillion domestic to watch that dreadfull B v S

Just got back from NYSM2, I thought it was pretty good.  The small crowd seemed to enjoy it enough

Edited by 75live
  • Like 1

Here's my weekend predictions for the three new films...

The Conjuring 2

Saturday: $13.6M (-17%)

Sunday: $7.5M (-44.9%)

OPENING WEEKEND TOTAL: $37.5M

Warcraft

Saturday: $10.1M (-5.94%)

Sunday: $6.57M (-34.8%)

OPENING WEEKEND TOTAL: $27.4M

Now You See Me 2

Saturday: $8.65M (+2.99%)

Sunday: $4.51M (-47.8%)

OPENING WEEKEND TOTAL: $21.6M

Watched Warcraft last night. It's pretty much what I expected an adaption to look like. I enjoyed it for the most part. 

I thought it could at least make 100m DOM

The international gross is what will most likely give it sequel. If Universal won't do it, LP will probably just take it somewhere else. LP can't pass up what they can make on it from China.

Edited by Cookson
  • Like 5

30 minutes ago, Cookson said:

Watched Warcraft last night. It's pretty much what I expected an adaption to look like. I enjoyed it for the most part. 

I thought it could at least make 100m DOM

The international gross is what will most likely give it sequel. If Universal won't do it, LP will probably just take it somewhere else. LP can't pass up what they can make on it from China.

That is also my thinking, you just don't gross that much in China and OS to not make a sequel. Plus, the sequel will have the bonus of goodwill from fans and non fans that have seen it, a huge plus would be that we'll be seeing carrachters that are actually pretty popular (Thrall, Arthas)  ,and chinese box office is going to be even bigger in 3-4 years.  Oh, one more thing - it's going to be more critic proof  that the first one.

Edited by snitch
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, johnboy3434 said:

Here's my weekend predictions for the three new films...

The Conjuring 2

Saturday: $13.6M (-17%)

Sunday: $7.5M (-44.9%)

OPENING WEEKEND TOTAL: $37.5M

Warcraft

Saturday: $10.1M (-5.94%)

Sunday: $6.57M (-34.8%)

OPENING WEEKEND TOTAL: $27.4M

Now You See Me 2

Saturday: $8.65M (+2.99%)

Sunday: $4.51M (-47.8%)

OPENING WEEKEND TOTAL: $21.6M

Those Sunday drops seem a little extreme.

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic:  $16,400,000    45.7%
Foreign:  $19,500,000    54.3%

Worldwide:  $35,900,000  

The Conjuring 2 made 19.5m OS on Friday alone. Lol.  I think it can manage over 60m for the weekend. And it still has to open in UK, France, Germany, Russia, Spain, Italy, Japan plus a few other territories.

The original made 180m OS. Thinking this one makes at least 200m.

• Like 2