FlashMaster659

Tuesday #s: Dory - $23.2M, CI - $4.5M, TC2 - $2.3M, NYSM2 - $1.6M, WC - $1M

22 minutes ago, pieman said:

This has really stood out this year. There have been very few mid-range successes. Movies seem to either do really really well or have mediocre runs. I read somewhere that this has something to do with everyone seeing the movie of 'the moment' but nothing else.

Yeah, they're going for the event movies that feel like events but don't bother otherwise.  The mentality there is not new--it is always more fun to have someone to talk about the thing you're checking out. It has been intensified hardcore with streaming, mobile devices, and technology.

9 minutes ago, The Pandaren said:

Why is such an increase expected anyways?  It's actually precedent for big openers to decrease on Tuesday instead of increase.  I find it funny that some naysayers are saying, "Oh, it's expected."

No it's not.  I can think of a single 100m Opener in recent memory that he a massive increase on its first Tuesday, especially after a big Monday.

Discount Tuesday has increased exponentially in the last few years. It was an easy call. I knew it would go up by about 20%.

6 minutes ago, narniadis said:

Minions says high :) 

It's that summer weekday thing with cheap Tuesdays that has changed things over the last couple of years. 

For what's it's worth it was expecting it to stay flat so I know where you are coming from. 

Still, it's not exactly precedent for the first Tuesday.  Discount Tuesday usually starts to kick in week 2 going forward.  I was expecting maybe a 1-3% increase today based on precedent.  Dory's Tuesday is one of the top 4 non-opening Tuesdays of all time.  That is huge.

• Like 1

Just now, Baumer said:

Discount Tuesday has increased exponentially in the last few years. It was an easy call. I knew it would go up by about 20%.

I know it has.  But look at the precedent for big openers, the first Tuesday is usually flat due to spillover on Monday.  

I'm saying it isn't a typical number, that was a good call, but it's also unprecedented for how large the opening was and how big Monday was.

It's not really unprecedented though. Discount Tuesdays are bigger now than even 6 months ago. More theater chains have added the cheap Tuesday and this is why the massive Tuesdays and massive drops on Wednesday 

• Like 1

Wed: 16.5m

Thu: 16.1m

Fri: 27.4m

Sat: 35.6m

Sun: 24.9m

Wknd: 87.9m (-35%)

An under 40% drop looks really likely as long as it holds to the 15-17m range tomorrow and Thursday.  Even with minimal Friday and Saturday increases.

4 minutes ago, Baumer said:

It's not really unprecedented though. Discount Tuesdays are bigger now than even 6 months ago. More theater chains have added the cheap Tuesday and this is why the massive Tuesdays and massive drops on Wednesday 

Which is why Civil War's first Tuesday increased by 3.5% and Zootopia's 18.3% (after an 81% drop Monday, so easier to increase from).

Summer's especially, the first Tuesday increase should be less because Monday has more spillover.

Im not saying it hasn't happened before, but the precedent for a 100m opener is for the first Tuesday to stay flat, and the 2nd to have those wild increases

24 minutes ago, narniadis said:

Minions says high :) 

It's that summer weekday thing with cheap Tuesdays that has changed things over the last couple of years. 

For what's it's worth it was expecting it to stay flat so I know where you are coming from. 

Minions increased on Tuesday, but its increase didn't come after an amazing 43% Monday drop.

12 minutes ago, The Pandaren said:

Wed: 16.5m

Thu: 16.1m

Fri: 27.4m

Sat: 35.6m

Sun: 24.9m

Wknd: 87.9m (-35%)

An under 40% drop looks really likely as long as it holds to the 15-17m range tomorrow and Thursday.  Even with minimal Friday and Saturday increases.

That would be great a great Friday jump. I expect a 50% increase from Thursday

1 hour ago, Baumer said:

I still don't think it gets passed 450

That's stupid. How could it miss $450m when it's already at $178m after 5 days? Wednesday, Thursday, and the weekend will put it at roughly $280m...

Barring unusual drops, it's passing $450m.

• Like 4

There'll be so much panic tomorrow. 

To to be honest I really can't tell if 500m is in play right now, I gotta wait at least until I see Friday's number to know how it's really holding up.

Im hopeful though.

Edited by Arlborn