Ezen Baklattan

July 1-4 Weekend Estimates | Dory 50.2m, Tarzan 45.6m, Purge 34.8m, BFG 22.2m, IDR 20.2m

1 minute ago, a2knet said:

APOC is on 529m WW (not sure if that includes this weekend's OS). I don't think much left in the tank OS...sub 550m WW is below expectations considering DOFP did 515m OS. But on a 178m budget it's a solid number considering no Wolverine.

I'm expecting it to finish at close to 535m without Japan. Japan won't do more than 10m, as that's what DOFP did, so it should end up close to 550m but not quite there, sadly. Still, yes, solid number all things considered.

• Like 2

Wow, Tarzan's OW was really fun to follow. Went from bomb talk and sub-20m predictions to beating expectations every day and getting a solid OW. Yeh, it's budget is huge and that is throwing a shadow over it's opening, but let's be honest: that is good debut. I'm eager to see what it does this week, but if things go well, it should top 130m and it could go even higher. Really fun watching an underdog succeed. 

• Like 5

BFG + ALICE2 could end up around ~135m (57.5+77.5). Wonder if TARZAN can go over that - right now feeling 120m dom.

Edited by a2knet

8 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Oldies calling animated films "cartoons" and proceeding to act like they can only be for kids is legit one of my biggest pet peeves in life. And I've never met anyone over the age of like 50 who doesn't think that way, save for my Mom, thank goodness. 

"Cartoon" is nothing to be ashamed of.

And my 65 year old stepfather once said that Cars was one of the best movies ever. Sounds weird to me, but I think he really connected to the nostalgia that the movie evoked with Route 66.

• Like 1

Hard to see how DORY will fall below 500m.

It's 119m away after Monday (it's 3rd Monday).

TS3 added 114m after it's 3rd Monday.

IO added 106m after it's 3rd Monday.

But DORY's 3rd weekend (just the 3-day of 41.4m*) is bigger than TS3 (30.3m) and IO (29.8m).

It will at least get to low 490s...at which point Disney will not let it die below 500m. 

But I think it will go over 500m without any help.

*Even if Sunday was not boosted by ID the 3-day would have been 39m+

20 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Is it for 475m target. That bet you have lost for sure. Dory would be close to 410m when Pets opens. So even if it has bigger drop than what TS3 had when DM opened, it should have enough gas to make > 475m.

Oh yea I know. Lol. I've lost. That's 200 from me and @Telemachos each this summer on lost bets.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Guys, Tarzan isn't hitting 130-150M. Let's be real.

Sure it will. Why wouldn't it?

Monday's increase for IDR isn't really surprising. This is, after all, the 4th of July we're talking about.

Same thing happened with the movie "Mother's Day" on Mother's Day earlier this year :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RyneOh1040 said:

i really, really, like this analysis (SAM is also my favorite of the year so far) but I do disagree with Angry Birds.  Comparing it to the Disney cannon is non sensical and I honestly think it's actually a pretty big success.  It had all the makings to be a huge flop (just the concept in itself is so nuts) but it's going to finish around 350 on a 75 million budget and that's nothing to scoff at.  I legitimately thought it would struggle to hit 50 domestic even up until OW.  But yeah, great analysis.

It's a financial success for sure but for a mid-May major studio CGI release it had a fairly weak opening and really terrible legs, at least domestically. It's also a title that could've made upwards of 300 million here if they had it out in 2013.

Wow Tarzan is really over performing. I guess people were desperate for some entertainment this weekend.  I don't expect it to have good legs though, Ghostbusters, Star Treknow Beyond and Bourne should kill it. 

• Like 1