baumer

Weekend #s STB 59.6M, Pets 29.3M, GB and LO 21.6M, IA5 21M

James Wan apparently had a lot of influence on the set of Lights Out. 

The director said he would get in arguments with the lighting guys and DP at times.

Then when Wan would show up and say something like "let's use candles to light this scene" everyone would just stfu and agree with him ??

The Power OF JAMES WAN COMPELS YOU!!

• Like 7

The Hollywood experiment we are living is still unprecedented though, we are getting close to have the same 15-20 or so IPs year after year until we all die.

I could give you the schedule of Summer 2029 quite easily without being too far off, or 2045.

:bagoverhead:

Rey s ghost turning to the dark side in Star Wars XII is gonna be great tho.

• Like 1

Just now, Baumer said:

The director said he would get in arguments with the lighting guys and DP at times.

Then when Wan would show up and say something like "let's use candles to light this scene" everyone would just stfu and agree with him ??

Everyone listens when God Wan speaks.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Baumer said:

Funny you say that because the Lights out trailer had all the James Wan tricks.

14 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

How other studios are holding up this year for profits (using double the budget unless stated and rounding off to the nearest whole number):

Hide contents

Disney:

Finest Hours: -75M (Per Bob Iger)

Zootopia: +723M

Jungle Book: +588M

Civil War: +651M

Alice: -63M

Dory: +328M (So far)

BFG: Best case scenario is -50M, worst case -70M. Let's say -60M.

Total: +2.1B

WB:

How to Be Single: +36M

Midnight Special: -30M

BVS: +373M

Barbershop: +15M

Keanu: -9M

The Nice Guys: -39M

Me Before You: +133M

The Conjuring: +222M

Central Intelligence: Will end up around +30M as Universal handled the foreign gross

Tarzan: Let's be optimistic and say -80M

Total: +651M

Fox:

Kung Fu Panda: +230M

Deadpool: +666M :jeb!: 

X-Men: +178M

IDR: +13M (so far)

Mike and Dave: Probably won't make much money in the remaining countries so let's say -10M

Total: +1.077B

Sony:

The Fifth Wave: +41M

Risen: +6M

Grimsby: -45M

Miracles From Heaven: +48M

Money Monster: +37M

Angry Birds: +197M

The Shallows: Should end around 70M WW so let's say +36M

Ghostbusters: Probably will end up losing or gaining nothing.

Total: +320M

Universal: 

Ride Along: +44M

Hail Caesar: +19M

Big Fat Wedding: +54M

The Boss: +21M

The Huntsman: -65M

Neighbors: +34M

Popstar: -30M

Warcraft: Who fucking knows :lol: 

The Purge: +60M (so far)

SLOP: +126M (so far)

Total: +263M

1. Disney: +2.1B

2. Fox: +1.077B

3. WB: +651M

4. Sony: +320M

5. Universal: +263M

6. Paramount: -98M

Sony could end up ahead of Universal if Mag 7, Passengers, and Sausage Party do great. Not doing Lionsgate but let's just say NYSM saved their ass :lol: 

Atleast Sony has been smart with their budgets, not losing money, the only film i think they overspent on was Ghostbusters. 

Looks like Deadpool and Kung Fu Panda really saved Fox this year, because they look mediocre outside of those two films.

A cool down year for Universal, but they aren't losing huge amounts of money so it's ok. 

• Like 1

Yea but make no mistake about it...this was the directors vision....according an article I read. Wan definitely made suggestions but the director had the vision.

• Like 3

WB v Universal:

WB: Harry Potter, DCEU, WAG, Wanverse, D&D, Tomb Raider, Godzilla/Kong

Universal: Fast series, Illumination, Dreamworks, Jurassic, Bourne, Pitch Perfect, Classic Monsters 

worldwide: I'd favor Universal because Illumination, Fast series, and Jurassic are larger appeal. Minions everywhere! 

dom: I'd favor Warner. I doubt Universls will beat Warner domestically any time soon, unless Pokemon actually hits its potential (since Universal has DOM distribution) This year, WB will be 2nd place for sure, and well above Universal. WBs big franchises are just beginning or rebeginning.

parent company: Comcast controls your television and Internet. Bow to Comcast.

Edited by UrosepsisFace

13 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

I can't find the article but @Telemachos posted an article that explained that big budget films, on average, are more profitable more often.

If it's the article I'm thinking of, there's a link in the Numbers/Data Archive thread (in the Numbers/Data subforum).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WrathOfHan said:

If Viacom got bought out by them Paramount would die and Universal would handle it all.

That's why paramount's stuff should go to Universal. They're doing the most sucessful, and more sucessful than Paramount has been in the past two years. 

Edited by Maxmoser3

Just now, Maxmoser3 said:

That's why paramount's stuff should go to Universl. They're doing the most sucessful, and more sucessful than Paramount has been in the past two years. 

Universal might be fifth this year so I wouldn't say they're the most successful :lol: That said, Comcast is powerful enough to go through with a buyout.

42 minutes ago, Goffe said:

if you are going to use the official figures, use the reported budget for all of them. BvS cost 250m.

I would except for I keep hearing the film wasn't profitable. which leads me to the conclusion that it must have been closer to $300m. and the fact that several sources said that it was. 

1 hour ago, DAJK said:

Paramount needs to either re-think their strategy, or get the rights to a different popular brand, or make an original blockbuster that's hopefully a hit. Turtles is dead, Transformers will eventually go the way of Ice Age 2-3 more films down the line, and they have done surprisingly little with Hansel and Gretel.

Hansel and Gretel?

Is that a joke?

I haven't heard any news on a Hansel sequel in some time. 

I found the first film modestly enjoyable. In the sense that they set the world up adequately enough and I could see some solid potential in a sequel but it's got to have he right treatment.

I'm open to it if it happens in much the same way I am to the Underworld series. I feel that fandom is what a H&G sequel should try to aspire towards, niche but there.