MinaTakla

Weekend Thread | Bourne 60M, Trek 24M, Bad Moms 23.4M, Pets 18.2M

It s crazy that Paramount kept the budget that high for Beyond, they are treating Star Trek like a huge worldwide franchise while it is clearly not, the two JJ's Star Trek proved that.

Just now, The Futurist said:

It s crazy that Paramount kept the budget that high for Beyond, they are treating Star Trek like a huge worldwide franchise while it is clearly not, the two JJ's Star Trek proved that.

Brad Grey needs to be fired, Cloverfield is the only movie that's given them a profit this year so far.

Just now, The Futurist said:

Into Darkness had a massive OS marketing campaign and could only do 240M OS. This one was obviously gonna decrease both DOM and OS and they still somehow spent 185M on it lol. 

6 minutes ago, trifle said:

I thought Star Trek 4 was already in preproduction.  I doubt they drop it.  This one was good.  If it doesn't clean up at the theaters it will have a great secondary market. 

The new Trek show is gonna be on every Netflix region apart from the US and Canada. I guess Paramount will look at how well CBS may or will do with the show before moving forward.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mrqe93 said:

Maybe Paramount thought OS Star Trek fan base would grow, which didn't turn out to be the case.

That's a shame.  I'm not a classic Star Trek fan, but 09 was a really really good movie even if you knew nothing about the ST universe.  STID was lesser, but not awful, and this one is fun again, if not as great as 09.

2 minutes ago, mrqe93 said:

Maybe Paramount thought OS Star Trek fan base would grow, which didn't turn out to be the case.

STID was made for foreign audiences.

A trade article mentionned that STID's last act with the Ship destroyong a city was made after foreign market studies showed people wanted to see shit being blown up in Star Trek.

If it didn't work with JJ ...

• Like 1

Tonight sucks, first that Trek number and now my internet is too slow to load Netflix :sadben: 

Just now, filmlover said:

They'll make one more movie this Trek team then call it a day. I mean, we're still gonna get another X-Men movie and the reception for this was certainly better than for Apocalypse.

If by that you mean Deadpool 2 and Wolverine 3, sure. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

They'll make one more movie this Trek team then call it a day. I mean, we're still gonna get another X-Men movie and the reception for this was certainly better than for Apocalypse.

I am pretty sure we won't get either another Trek movie with this team nor another X-Men movie with that cast.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Not if the next one is really popular. 

As for Trek and XA, STB's opening weekend was $59,253,211; and XA's was $65,769,562.  I am not at all trashing STB here, I liked it, but I do get defensive when people keep treating XA as a bomb when it did $534,547,826 world wide before Fox stopped tracking it (and yet to open in Japan.)

Edited by trifle
  • Like 2

This summer very few films have had any staying power. It's like the films are cursed. Most films that have had some nice legs for their genres are the smaller non blockbuster films excluding Dory and SLOP. Who would have thought the non blockbusters like Central Intelligence, The Conjuring 2, The Purge, The Shallows etc would have been films with the better multipliers especially with a summer filled with blockbusters and big names. The smaller films are winning out. Here's to hoping Bourne and Suicide Squad buck the trend. 

Also The V had a nice run. Forgot about it. If only it had a higher OW to save it completely. 

But damn. 

I'd say Paramount will still make another Trek film, perhaps with a slightly reduced budget and in a less competitive slot. The new TV series will likely be a success for CBS All Access and Netflix so the brand will stick around in one form or another. 

Paramount only has Trek, Transformers and Mission Impossible as their big franchises and Mission Impossible while it's still doing great can't rely on Tom Cruise forever as he's not getting younger and Transformers will decrease next year.  

• Like 2