CJohn

SUICIDE SQUAD WEEKEND THREAD | New REVISED SUNDAY NUMBER 134m FROM GURU ON PG 212 | 267.1M WW OW | Nine Lives 6.5 OW |No Spoilers Allowed!!! | ACCOUNT SALES THIS WEEKEND - see first post for details !!

5 minutes ago, Tele Loves Bay & Twilight said:

All that shows is how little you know of writers in Hollywood -- understandable since most of them aren't ranting on their blogs about what they would do. :lol: 

Seriously, dude, there are plenty of people who could do a wonderful take on El Hombre de Acero.

There is NO DOUBT

2 minutes ago, a2knet said:

That Batman was so good in BVS shows that there is room for different and successful director-actor combos for any and every superhero, even IM and BAT.

Batman and James Bond both have a long history of different actors doing a very good job in the role. We'll see what happens when RDJ is done with Iron Man. It will probably be the biggest challenge to replace since Sean Connery with Bond.

• Like 11

5 minutes ago, superweirdo87 said:

What about 2006? And the fact that aside from Death of Superman, his comics are outsold?

4 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

The DCU sucks and it is all WB's fault.

tumblr_lmj8w1pM2T1qe4zhy.gif

:(

9 minutes ago, excel1 said:

DCCU STATE OF THE UNION

#MakeDCFilmsGreatAgain!

The biggest takeaway from all of this is the DC Properties were - and largely still are - on a completely different level than pretty much any Marvel property sans IRON MAN, and that will change as soon as RDJ leaves. Higher floors, higher ceilings, not even comparable. Where Marvel has essentially reached the potential for nearly all of its properties, DC has had several underperformers in a row. While SS in no way is an underperformer as a concept, it is clear the film will underperform what became its very real potential due to the terrible reviews (even though WOM will be fine).

At what point does WB worry about damaging/destroying what were previously extremely popular brands just for the sake of matching Marvel? Christopher Nolan made Batman the most popular single character ON EARTH. Look at what Zack Snyder was able to do him in a single film. SUICIDE SQUAD clearly had the potential to be a MASSIVE break out hit & make stars out of all of its main characters. While the latter part still may be true (Deadshot, Joker, and Harley won't be turning off any fans), the former now appears to only be a quasi breakout hit ands frankly cannot help feeling like a disappoint relative its clear potential.

This is now 3 straight films that I personally thought were too important for WB to fuck up, but in reality have all been fucked up to varying degrees. It is clear that despite seemingly strong concepts, limitless budgets, the finest production values, the most incredible marketing campaigns, etc that each DCCU property SHOULD have made more money than it is.

The less than perfect quality of MAN OF STEEL, BATMAN V SUPERMAN, and SUICIDE SQUAD has no doubt cost WB at least $1 billion dollars worldwide between the three from the terrible legs they all have experienced (though SS will likely have OK legs). They are underperforming their potential SEVERELY.

MAN OF STEEL should have been a easy 130M OW, 350M total, 900M WW Film

BATMAN VS SUPERMAN should have been an easy $215m, 550m, $1.3b WW Film

SUICIDE SQUAD should have been an easy $175m, $400m, $1b WW Film

The biggest problem they have is living up to the insurmountable legacy of THE DARK KNIGHT TRILOGY.

MARVEL established a precedent of terrible plots, horrible villains, no existent themes, awesome action, hilarious humor, and loveable hero's. Marvel has made popcorn films from day one. They have trained both critics and their audiences to view their films through THAT looking glass. As a result, viewers are never wondering "Why didn't they do this that way??" or "where was this person?" or "a hero wouldn't do that" etc. They are trained to be dumbed down and not question anything. Their films make no attempt to utilize ones brain and as a result, most issues bounce in one ear and out the other. This approach means they will never experience the true critical success that films as Superman 1, TDK or Spider-man 2 achieved. But, they likely will not upset anybody either. Marvel makes water for all, not wine for a few.

DC Films simply cannot escape the comparisons to Nolan's incredible films. Even when DC tries to go the Marvel route, such as is the case with Suicide Squad, it is held to a CLEAR double standard in the eyes of critics. Critics laugh and take no issues with Starlord having a "dance off" at the end of GOTG because they know what they're watching has a film IQ of 45. They take issue with the more well thought out "Martha!!" scene because this is a film bragging that it has a film IQ of 130 when it's really 110. It's absurd, and ridiculous, and it is all Chris Nolan's fault.

While Marvel trained audiences to turn their brains off, Nolan stimulated moviegoers brains in ways never imagined or thought possible for comic book films. We all instinctively view DC with a greater stature than Marvel properties (as evidenced by the fact they are CLEARLY on a much higher financial starting point than any Marvel property was) and look to DC for the brain stroking Nolan's TDK films gave us. When we do not receive that feeling we came to expect from them, the feeling of disappointment is overwhelming. With Marvel, there is no sense of disappointment because the expectation was never there to begin with.

GIVE ME QUALITY, OR GIVE ME DEATH! MAKE DC FILMS GREAT AGAIN!

This is one of the biggest false narratives and pieces of drivel i've seen on this board.

The GA in general wouldn't know a Marvel comic from a DC comic. Reviewers aren't giving Marvel movies better ratings because of either 1) a conspiracy among reviewers around the world or 2) Marvel has tricked reviewers into being dumb.

The 3 recent DC films so far have gotten those reviews because they are poorly constructed movies. I'm ok with MoS - don't care for the 3rd act much and I don't think Snyder gets Superman and what he should be, but overall that film is ok with me. BvS is a mess of a movie - period. Every CBM i've ever seen has had big plot holes in them, that goes with the territory. I think the GA is happy to accept that.

The DC movies frankly have not been fun to watch, or even more importantly - they haven't been very entertaining (which is not the same thing as fun but important for a movie to do well). As a kid the only characters I knew where DC ones (though i didn't know they were DC characters, I just knew they were superheroes). i could care less about all the DC vs Marvel idiocy that goes on on this site. At the end of the day give me a movie that entertains me. To this point WB is doing a very poor job of that. 

What amazes me is that DC is doing so much better with their TV shows than Marvel, but man they cannot get their stuff together for movies. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Batman and James Bond both have a long history of different actors doing a very good job in the role. We'll see what happens when RDJ is done with Iron Man. It will probably be the biggest challenge to replace since Sean Connery with Bond.

Not all, since it will probably be a Black girl.

Just now, RamblinRed said:

What amazes me is that DC is doing so much better with their TV shows than Marvel, but man they cannot get their stuff together for movies. 

It'll be something else if Tyler Hoechlin's version being introduced on Supergirl this season ends up being more well-received than Henry Cavill's. Salt, meet wound.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Baumer said:

Some quick comps:

If it follows:

BvS it does 125 mill OW

Civil War:  147

Deadpool:  240 

GOTG:  160

My guess is 140

:popcorn: imagine  if that happened 

19 minutes ago, excel1 said:

DCCU STATE OF THE UNION

#MakeDCFilmsGreatAgain!

The biggest takeaway from all of this is the DC Properties were - and largely still are - on a completely different level than pretty much any Marvel property sans IRON MAN, and that will change as soon as RDJ leaves. Higher floors, higher ceilings, not even comparable. Where Marvel has essentially reached the potential for nearly all of its properties, DC has had several underperformers in a row. While SS in no way is an underperformer as a concept, it is clear the film will underperform what became its very real potential due to the terrible reviews (even though WOM will be fine).

At what point does WB worry about damaging/destroying what were previously extremely popular brands just for the sake of matching Marvel? Christopher Nolan made Batman the most popular single character ON EARTH. Look at what Zack Snyder was able to do him in a single film. SUICIDE SQUAD clearly had the potential to be a MASSIVE break out hit & make stars out of all of its main characters. While the latter part still may be true (Deadshot, Joker, and Harley won't be turning off any fans), the former now appears to only be a quasi breakout hit ands frankly cannot help feeling like a disappoint relative its clear potential.

This is now 3 straight films that I personally thought were too important for WB to fuck up, but in reality have all been fucked up to varying degrees. It is clear that despite seemingly strong concepts, limitless budgets, the finest production values, the most incredible marketing campaigns, etc that each DCCU property SHOULD have made more money than it is.

The less than perfect quality of MAN OF STEEL, BATMAN V SUPERMAN, and SUICIDE SQUAD has no doubt cost WB at least $1 billion dollars worldwide between the three from the terrible legs they all have experienced (though SS will likely have OK legs). They are underperforming their potential SEVERELY.

The biggest problem they have is living up to the insurmountable legacy of THE DARK KNIGHT TRILOGY.

MARVEL established a precedent of terrible plots, horrible villains, no existent themes, awesome action, hilarious humor, and loveable hero's. Marvel has made popcorn films from day one. They have trained both critics and their audiences to view their films through THAT looking glass. As a result, viewers are never wondering "Why didn't they do this that way??" or "where was this person?" or "a hero wouldn't do that" etc. They are trained to be dumbed down and not question anything. Their films make no attempt to utilize ones brain and as a result, most issues bounce in one ear and out the other. This approach means they will never experience the true critical success that films as Superman 1, TDK or Spider-man 2 achieved. But, they likely will not upset anybody either. Marvel makes water for all, not wine for a few.

DC Films simply cannot escape the comparisons to Nolan's incredible films. Even when DC tries to go the Marvel route, such as is the case with Suicide Squad, it is held to a CLEAR double standard in the eyes of critics. Critics laugh and take no issues with Starlord having a "dance off" at the end of GOTG because they know what they're watching has a film IQ of 45. They take issue with the more well thought out "Martha!!" scene because this is a film bragging that it has a film IQ of 130 when it's really 110. It's absurd, and ridiculous, and it is all Chris Nolan's fault.

While Marvel trained audiences to turn their brains off, Nolan stimulated moviegoers brains in ways never imagined or thought possible for comic book films. We all instinctively view DC with a greater stature than Marvel properties (as evidenced by the fact they are CLEARLY on a much higher financial starting point than any Marvel property was) and look to DC for the brain stroking Nolan's TDK films gave us. When we do not receive that feeling we came to expect from them, the feeling of disappointment is overwhelming. With Marvel, there is no sense of disappointment because the expectation was never there to begin with.

:apocalypse:

• Like 2

When RDJ eventually quits, as long as Marvel writes a good script, brings decent marketing, and find a charismatic actor, I think the next Iron Man will do well.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, No Prisoners said:

yes RT does usually. Doesn't matter as much in OW but it is seen in the legs with the GA. of course there are always outliers.

Wild hogs, not a CBM, is a mystery to me

Wild Hogs came out before RT's matter, plus it appealed to the older crowd.

Edited by Daniel Dylan Davis

The GA in general wouldn't know a Marvel comic from a DC comic. Reviewers aren't giving Marvel movies better ratings because of either 1) a conspiracy among reviewers around the world or 2) Marvel has tricked reviewers into being dumb.

Yes, most would know the diff. between Marvel and DC, and WITHOUT QUESTION, YES - Marvel has trained audiences to be dumb.

A normal critic looks for themes, character arcs, plot hole, etc. Every Marvel film is stuffed like a turkey with holes while missing entirely absent of themes, character arcs, etc. Yet there is not a peep said about. DC Movies try and be something more, and get attacked when they fail to reach their high ambitions they so clearly reach for.

It's an obvious double standard. Get over it. You think IRON MAN 2 has better themes or character arcs than BATMAN V SUPERMAN? Didn't think so. Yet it has near 3x it's RT rating.

Complete nonsense.

The 3 recent DC films so far have gotten those reviews because they are poorly constructed movies. I'm ok with MoS - don't care for the 3rd act much and I don't think Snyder gets Superman and what he should be, but overall that film is ok with me. BvS is a mess of a movie - period. Every CBM i've ever seen has had big plot holes in them, that goes with the territory. I think the GA is happy to accept that.

Critics who hated on the "Batman viewing Superman as an equal when he hears his Mothers name" scene yet deep throated Starlord dancing off with a villain. Critics loathed Superman using Lois Lane as motivation to "come out" as an alien, but totally bought Starlord and the alien falling in love after 10 minutes of trying to kill each other. Critcs were quick to point out that Lois Lane was not NEEDED on the alien ship, BUT did not even pick up "Hydra creating the Avengers" ???

*Superman throws Zod in a building, causing minimal damage*

Critics: OMG WHAT KIND OF HERO IS HE???!!!

*Iron Man shots down a a city-block sized flying turtle over NYC, no doubt crushing dozens of buildings beneath and killing thousands of people*

Critics: OMG THAT WAS MUCH FUN!!!!

Enough fucking said.

Marvel's plot holes and gaps in logic are on completely different levels than anything in any of the 3 DCCU films.

The DC movies frankly have not been fun to watch, or even more importantly - they haven't been very entertaining (which is not the same thing as fun but important for a movie to do well). As a kid the only characters I knew where DC ones (though i didn't know they were DC characters, I just knew they were superheroes). i could care less about all the DC vs Marvel idiocy that goes on on this site. At the end of the day give me a movie that entertains me. To this point WB is doing a very poor job of that. 

If people want to hate on them not being as entertaining - fine. But do not judge them with two obviously different lenses. It is hypocritical and beyond unfair.

Edited by excel1
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, excel1 said:

DCCU STATE OF THE UNION

#MakeDCFilmsGreatAgain!

All I got out of this is "it's all Christopher Nolan's fault."

Nolan, Marvel, Ghostbusters (lmao), Hillary Clinton, Rotten Tomatoes.

It's everyone's fault but the studio and the filmmakers they hired. Oye!

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Superman was advertised in the marketing material for BVS exactly like he was in the movie, yet everyone was excited and showed up on OW despite the horrible (and unfair) reviews.

I didn't.  Nor any other weekend. 

DC fans showed up, Superman fans, not so much imho (DESPITE the fact that I really like Batman, too.)  Or it might have only been me.

1 minute ago, trifle said:

I didn't.  Nor any other weekend. 

DC fans showed up, Superman fans, not so much imho (DESPITE the fact that I really like Batman, too.)  Or it might have only been me.

Well, it had a huge OW, that's what I'm saying :unsure:

• Like 1