DAJK

Weekend #s: Sully 22M, Blair Witch 9.6M, Bridget Jones 8.2M, Snowden 8M, DB 5.6M, WTBB 5.5M, Squad 4.7M

4 hours ago, Noctis said:

I like Renee and what she's done to her face is clearly a result of not being offered roles she wants once she hit 40. 

But let's not pretend that what she did to her face didn't affect her image. I think she looks better than she did a couple of years ago, but she looks beyond plastic. 

Well she was mocked for her looks back when she was popular (to the point where Tracy Ullman nailed her appearance in a skit).

But I also think winning that Oscar for Cold Mountain kinda affected her career since so many people felt she didn't deserve it. Entertainment Weekly ran an anonymous Oscar poll several years ago about previous acting winners and most members claimed they wished they had given it to Shohreh Aghdashloo instead that year.

8 minutes ago, DAR said:

I hate that actresses once they hit forty have to alter their appearance.  I just read that Courtney Cox says she regrets getting work done

I remember reading an interview with Patricia Arquette where she said that Linklater advised her not to get any plastic surgeries during the years of making Boyhood because it would've been out of sync with her "normal" character.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Well she was mocked for her looks back when she was popular (to the point where Tracy Ullman nailed her appearance in a skit).

But I also think winning that Oscar for Cold Mountain kinda affected her career since so many people felt she didn't deserve it. Entertainment Weekly ran an anonymous Oscar poll several years ago about previous acting winners and most members claimed they wished they had given it to Shohreh Aghdashloo instead that year.

You can add Gwyneth Goop Paltrow to that list. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DAR said:

I hate that actresses once they hit forty have to alter their appearance.  I just read that Courtney Cox says she regrets getting work done

I hate that when an actress does get work done people begin to judge her. As if actors haven't gotten work done before. There's always judgement when it comes to an actress getting work done but never when an actor gets work done. It's a bull shit double standard that I hate. 

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, DAR said:

They don't HAVE to, they CHOOSE to.

And Zellweger just didn't try and look like a young version of herself, she  changed her face almost completely.  Of course, people were creeped out.

Then she says nothing was done, lol.

She can be a decent actress at times, but can also grate if onscreen too much.  I remember when I saw Cinderella Man, the audience was really into the film and would groan/sigh when she would  appear.  One of her worst performances, imo.

Edited by Gumby

I saw Bridget Jones last night and honestly she doesn't appear that much different than she did in the previous movies (clips from them are included as a montage later in the movie), or certainly not completely different like she did at that event where everyone was like "OMG what happened?!" a few years ago (which was probably the work of bad makeup than anything else). Understandable since it's been 12 years since the last movie anyway.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I saw Bridget Jones last night and honestly she doesn't appear that much different than she did in the previous movies (clips from them are included as a montage later in the movie), or certainly not completely different like she did at that event where everyone was like "OMG what happened?!" a few years ago (which was probably the work of bad makeup than anything else). Understandable since it's been 12 years since the last movie anyway.

Back before the surgery when she smiled she would squint her eyes, now that she's had so much work done it's like her face has no feeling left to the point where even squinting is impossible.