DAJK

Weekend #s: Sully 22M, Blair Witch 9.6M, Bridget Jones 8.2M, Snowden 8M, DB 5.6M, WTBB 5.5M, Squad 4.7M

26 minutes ago, That One Guy Has Malaria said:

My curse continues with Snowden.  Mag 7 would prove that if I stan for a Sony film with a male main character, that's the only way the curse can be broken.

Snowden actually did pretty well relative to expectations, and the other openers. Too bad it's still gonna go down as another miss for JGL. Don't think he's ever gonna breakthrough at this point, unfortunately.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, That One Guy Has Malaria said:

My curse continues with Snowden.  Mag 7 would prove that if I stan for a Sony film with a male main character, that's the only way the curse can be broken.

Quit stanning for Passengers!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Snowden actually did pretty well relative to expectations, and the other openers. Too bad it's still gonna go down as another miss for JGL. Don't think he's ever gonna breakthrough at this point, unfortunately.

The issue for JGL is the same as for a lot of leading ladies now. The one genre he would have been perfect for i.e.romcoms, are just not made now.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Well, he'll never be a star, but he should always have interesting projects lined up.

• Like 1

Just now, grim22 said:

The issue for JGL is the same as for a lot of leading ladies now. The one genre he would have been perfect for i.e.romcoms, are just not made now.

I think romcoms and romantic dramas can be successful but the days of them making huge numbers are over. Me Before You did $200m on a $20m budget so clearly there is an audience for it. 

I do think there hasn't been a new generation of writers who could replace Garry Marshall, Nora Ephron, Richard Curtis etc and write the new Pretty Woman or Notting Hill

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jayhawk said:

Well, he'll never be a star, but he should always have interesting projects lined up.

They just shouldn't put him as the lead. Even Blake Lively as a better track record and she barely works as often as he does. 

Edited by babz06

5 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I think romcoms and romantic dramas can be successful but the days of them making huge numbers are over. Me Before You did $200m on a $20m budget so clearly there is an audience for it. 

I do think there hasn't been a new generation of writers who could replace Garry Marshall, Nora Ephron, Richard Curtis etc and write the new Pretty Woman or Notting Hill

I think it also has to do with the shift in recent years that female vehicles have done well and proved they don't need a prominent male costar to make the big bucks. Call it progress, if you will.

9 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Only fitting that he was in the last great one. 

He's doing pretty well for himself though. He's not interested in blockbusters except for certain exceptions. And now he's heading into the producing/writing business. 

34 minutes ago, grim22 said:

A bit more involved than simple rooting

Nasty! (even 2 minutes was too much)

Be that as it may, it is used interchangeably with 'fan' on the internet and 'stanning' is 'fanboying/fangirling', or 'rooting for' as said above.

Edited by trifle

8 minutes ago, grim22 said:

I don't think so, teen or quirky comedies, yes. But JGL still looks too much like a nerdy boy, not a man.

Now Ryan Gosling is someone who is perfect for romcoms. I'm shocked he never took advantage his huge popularity with females and instead chose to do small off-kilter dramas after The Notebook. You'll see what i'm talking about after La La Land breaks out in December. 

12 minutes ago, babz06 said:

I don't think so, teen or quirky comedies, yes. But JGL still looks too much like a nerdy boy, not a man.

Now Ryan Gosling is someone who is perfect for romcoms. I'm shocked he never took advantage his huge popularity with females and instead chose to do small off-kilter dramas after The Notebook. You'll see what i'm talking about after La La Land breaks out in December. 

I don't think he wanted to be a big star tbh. He's turned down a lot of franchise flicks over the years.

I think both JGL and Gosling just prefer to go for movies that interest them without caring too much about whether their appeal is limited or if they'll become star-vehicles for them.

Thing is, I think you need to balance it out - go for some movies for the soul and for some movies to keep your clout as a successful draw/star. Otherwise you run the risk of studios losing faith in your ability to carry a big movie.

3 minutes ago, JennaJ said:

I think both JGL and Gosling just prefer to go for movies that interest them without caring too much about whether their appeal is limited or if they'll become star-vehicles for them.

Thing is, I think you need to balance it out - go for some movies for the soul and for some movies to keep your clout as a successful draw/star. Otherwise you run the risk of studios losing faith in your ability to carry a big movie.

Denzel does that, he'll do a Flight or Fences along with a more populist title like Mag 7. I think Affleck playing Batman means Warner Bros will allow to do riskier films like The Accountant or Live by Night.

The overseas success of Bridget Jones makes me wonder how Inferno will do next month, the Langdon franchise is a overseas draw but I wonder if the success of Sully might help Inferno go over $30-35m

• Like 1