DAJK

Weekend #s: Sully 22M, Blair Witch 9.6M, Bridget Jones 8.2M, Snowden 8M, DB 5.6M, WTBB 5.5M, Squad 4.7M

9 minutes ago, JennaJ said:

I think both JGL and Gosling just prefer to go for movies that interest them without caring too much about whether their appeal is limited or if they'll become star-vehicles for them.

Thing is, I think you need to balance it out - go for some movies for the soul and for some movies to keep your clout as a successful draw/star. Otherwise you run the risk of studios losing faith in your ability to carry a big movie.

Gosling is finally trying for his first  franchise with Blade Runner next year so we'll see how it goes. 

• Like 1

BW floppage doesn't surprise me. No one under 30 cares about the Blair Witch franchise and you simply can't have a horror hit without that audience. Not that bad for Bridget on the other hand considering it was never that big DOM and the last two are so old. Its OD is on par with the second one. Doing what it was made to do and cleaning up in Europe. 

Bring on next weekend and two 45m+ September OWs.

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

BW floppage doesn't surprise me. No one under 30 cares about the Blair Witch franchise and you simply can't have a horror hit without that audience. Not that bad for Bridget on the other hand considering it was never that big and the last two are so old. Its OD is on par with the second one. 

Bring on next weekend and two 45m+ September OWs.

Bridget Jones was made for the OS audience and it should have no problem making money, domestic is just gravy. 

Working Title have done well in the last few years with their films with Universal and Studiocanal. They still do films which aren't tentpoles but that can make a decent profit 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Bridget Jones was made for the OS audience and it should have no problem making money, domestic is just gravy. 

Working Title have done well in the last few years with their films with Universal and Studiocanal. They still do films which aren't tentpoles but that can make a decent profit 

Yeah I was strictly speaking DOM and edited to make that clear. 

• Like 1

Just now, MinaTakla said:

Despicable Me 2 in 71 days - 357 million

Pets in 71 days - 362.3 million

Seems it has a great shot at becoming Illumination's highest DOM release to date.

And the animation domination that is this year continues (for better or for worse) next weekend when Storks possibly beats Transylvania 2's OW. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

And the animation domination that is this year continues (for better or for worse) next weekend when Storks possibly beats Transylvania 2's OW. 

I'm not sure it will beat HT2 but anything over $35m would be great. It would put really strength in the WAG brand if they can get a successful original film 

11 minutes ago, MinaTakla said:

Despicable Me 2 in 71 days - 357 million

Pets in 71 days - 362.3 million

Seems it has a great shot at becoming Illumination's highest DOM release to date.

Will beat Deadpool on Sunday and Jungle Book next weekend.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I'm not sure it will beat HT2 but anything over $35m would be great. It would put really strength in the WAG brand if they can get a successful original film 

The marketing has been some Illumination level shit. It's everywhere since AugustMore than that, it does look appealing to its target audience even if I think it looks a bit insufferable. 50m+ won't surprise me at this point, especially since it's coming off basically the first breather in family hits this year has had. On another note, speaking of Illumination it recently occurred to me  that I think their marketing has caused all the animation studios to majorly step up their game. It seems like every animated film has been marketed to hell this year, which is probably no coincidence why animation has been so huge this year. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 2

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

The marketing has been some Illumination level shit. It's everywhere since AugustMore than that, it does look appealing to its target audience even if I think it looks a bit insufferable. 50m+ won't surprise me at this point, especially since it's coming off basically the first breather in family hits this year has had. On another note, speaking of Illumination is recently occurred to me with this movie that I think they're marketing has caused all the animation studios to majorly step up their game. It seems like every animated film has been marketed to hell this year, which is probably no coincidence why animation has been so huge this year. 

I think Mag 7 might prevent it from being number 1 but I think if anyone can market an animated film and make it a huge hit it's Warner Bros.

I do think WAG's approach of using established brands like Lego, Batman, Scooby Doo and original ideas like Storks works, they seem to be going for a more zany style similar to the Looney Tunes and other WB properties 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

The marketing has been some Illumination level shit. It's everywhere since AugustMore than that, it does look appealing to its target audience even if I think it looks a bit insufferable. 50m+ won't surprise me at this point, especially since it's coming off basically the first breather in family hits this year has had. On another note, speaking of Illumination it recently occurred to me  that I think their marketing has caused all the animation studios to majorly step up their game. It seems like every animated film has been marketed to hell this year, which is probably no coincidence why animation has been so huge this year. 

I don't think it hits 50m, but if it does then we could have our first movie in the 200-300m area this year. Also, it would basically lock WB for a 2B+ year DOM. 

• Like 1

Looking like,

DP 2.74x [original; 133.43 ow]

SS 2.43x [original; 133.68 ow]

APOC 2.36x [sequel; lowest ow of the lot at 65.77]

CW 2.28x [sequel; highest ow of the lot at 179.14]

BVS 1.99x [oriquel ?; 166.01 ow]

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I think Mag 7 might prevent it from being number 1 but I think if anyone can market an animated film and make it a huge hit it's Warner Bros.

I do think WAG's approach of using established brands like Lego, Batman, Scooby Doo and original ideas like Storks works, they seem to be going for a more zany style similar to the Looney Tunes and other WB properties 

4 minutes ago, James said:

I don't think it hits 50m, but if it does then we could have our first movie in the 200-300m area this year. Also, it would basically lock WB for a 2B+ year DOM. 

Storks was / is trending on twitter so I checked in but it is almost all either tweets by the official movie account (about the premier) or something about $25 or $50 visa gift card Storks package.  I don't know if that means anything.

• Like 1

There's nothing wrong with plastic surgery if you know how to do it. For example, if you remove a bump on your nose and make it a little more straight...but when you go overboard and keep doing procedures, and then filling your face with so much botox and fillers your cheeks resemble donuts, then...

• Like 1