kayumanggi

BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY | Nov 2 2018 | Fox | Rami Malek | Queen biopic | Bryan Singer fired | Kindly avoid libeling anyone in this thread

16 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

The movie literally has a "downfall" montage where he gives lingering stares to gay sexual partners in leather bars and it smash cuts to a news report on AIDS. Even if it's not homophobic it definitely plays into some pretty dumb 5th grade stereotypes there.

.... that was the reality of the 80s. hiv contagion amongt gays exploded.... its not homophobic, it's literally what was happening and how it happened to him.

https://www.hiv.gov/hiv-basics/overview/history/hiv-and-aids-timeline

Edited by TombRaider
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, expensiveho said:

Who would've thought that this would be the one that benefited more from the award season? 

It would’ve been a box office hit regardless even if it shot past the initial $100-120M total expectations. Power of Queen is undeniable.

As much of an issue as I had with the movie, I think its two big issues most critics have, namely its derivative nature and messy handling of LGBT themes, are not ones that would readily stick out to moviegoers, especially since no biopic has had a real power in terms of box office outside of Straight Outta Compton (and there were a lot of other factors going in to that movie)

It really is this year’s Greatest Showman, helping distract a mediocre plot and potentially tone deaf storytelling with great music and a solid central performance. I am not saying the film isn’t worth criticizing, especially if we’re actually going to say it’s one of the best movies of the year, but I do understand why it’s resonating.

Granted, this is completely ignoring the elephant in the room but there you go.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, TombRaider said:

.... that was the reality of the 80s. hiv contagion amongt gays exploded.... its not homophobic, it's literally what was happening and how it happened to him.

https://www.hiv.gov/hiv-basics/overview/history/hiv-and-aids-timeline

If they had ignored that, Twitter would have complained about erasure and sanitization or whatever they felt like it. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, expensiveho said:

If they had ignored that, Twitter would have complained about erasure and sanitization or whatever they felt like it. 

Lol, exactly! You're never going to please everyone. Just make a good movie and let people piss and moan on social media to their heart's content.

By the way, my uncle has a husband. They both saw it and adored it! Why? Because they're homosexuals that also don't feel the need to over expose themselves and people like them, or draw attention to their "plight", or invent narratives that make it sound like they're still oppressed. Luckily, the majority of people are sensible like this and that's why the film is nearing 800 million freaking dollars!

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Lol, exactly! You're never going to please everyone. Just make a good movie and let people piss and moan on social media to their heart's content.

By the way, my uncle has a husband. They both saw it and adored it! Why? Because they're homosexuals that also don't feel the need to over expose themselves and people like them, or draw attention to their "plight", or invent narratives that make it sound like they're still oppressed. Luckily, the majority of people are sensible like this and that's why the film is nearing 800 million freaking dollars!

You are aware not all homosexuals have the fortune to live such easy lives, right? Would you tell a gay person who had been beaten just for being who they are that they are just seeking attention and not trying to raise awareness that hatred indeed exists?

• Haha 1

The readings people get from this movie are amusing.

The very idea that a gay filmmaker and the rest of the band Freddy was in tried to portray him in a negative light is so astonishingly stupid it boggles the mind.

It s not the movie or the filmmakers, it's YOU & YOUR delusions.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

You are aware not all homosexuals have the fortune to live such easy lives, right? Would you tell a gay person who had been beaten just for being who they are that they are just seeking attention and not trying to raise awareness that hatred indeed exists?

Absolutely not. But that's my point. It WAS tougher on gay people back then and that's how the film portrayed it. If some people feel the film went and "legitimized it" then that's how they're perceiving it. That's what I mean by creating narratives. It's why social media is borderline unbearable right now. Something offends someone, whether it was legitimate or they perceived it that way, they go and write a thinkpiece, and BAM! you have a bunch of angry flag wavers.

5 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

The readings people get from this movie are amusing.

The very idea that a gay filmmaker and the rest of the band Freddy was in tried to portray him in a negative light is so astonishingly stupid it boggles the mind.

It s not the movie or the filmmakers, it's YOU & YOUR delusions.

I know!!!!

18 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Absolutely not. But that's my point. It WAS tougher on gay people back then and that's how the film portrayed it. If some people feel the film went and "legitimized it" then that's how they're perceiving it. That's what I mean by creating narratives. It's why social media is borderline unbearable right now. Something offends someone, whether it was legitimate or they perceived it that way, they go and write a thinkpiece, and BAM! you have a bunch of angry flag wavers.

Fine if you feel that way. Your post made it sound like homophobia had become completely resolved and become a thing of the past when...definitely not.

By the way my main issue with the film’s treatment wasn’t its depiction of what it was like at the time but that they made the gay manager an embodiment of every single Evil Gay trope there is for obvious dramatic license. Odd acting choice by Allen Leech.

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Fine if you feel that way. Your post made it sound like homophobia had become completely resolved and become a thing of the past when...definitely not.

By the way my main issue with the film’s treatment wasn’t its depiction of what it was like at the time but that they made the gay manager an embodiment of every single Evil Gay trope there is for obvious dramatic license. Odd acting choice by Allen Leech.

I concede that sometimes I don't express myself very well. I probably come off as a worse person than I really am, trust me. What I need is a break from the internet, I think!

15 hours ago, Spagspiria said:

Also, it’s fine to showcase how attitudes were in the past. The problem is when you  legitimize these attitudes.

Allow me to ask, Moonlight showed us the Black are drug dealers and drug addicts,  

How you see those portrayal?

55 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Allow me to ask, Moonlight showed us the Black are drug dealers and drug addicts,  

How you see those portrayal?

It was completely different for Moonlight. The film centers on blackness through and through, primarily through the eyes of our protagonist, and the characters are actually written as three dimensional, nuanced, and even sympathetic in places. It was the reality, but they were written as human, real and not as stereotypes.

• Like 1