kayumanggi

BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY | Nov 2 2018 | Fox | Rami Malek | Queen biopic | Bryan Singer fired | Kindly avoid libeling anyone in this thread

One of the best films of the year! I tell everyone the best review of it I can give is it was more a show than a movie. Everyone involved put on a show for the ages! If only some could get over their agendas and watch the film for the film and nothing else outside of it. No matter, clearly many people around the globe are doing just that. What a triumph!

1 minute ago, Spagspiria said:

Well I’m happy that SING STREET is sparking a new career.

No joke: a friend of mine said he thought Lucy Boynton was the same girl from Rogue One. I legit laughed out loud before correcting him. Poor guy probably saw the On the Basis of Sex poster in the lobby afterwards and thought why she was in every movie now.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, filmlover said:

No joke: a friend of mine said he thought Lucy Boynton was the same girl from Rogue One. I legit laughed out loud before correcting him. Poor guy probably saw the On the Basis of Sex poster in the lobby afterwards and thought why she was in every movie now.

I mean, I did think she looked a bit like Felicity Jones. Not to the point where I thought it was the same person, but I can definitely see the similarities. 

4 hours ago, JB33 said:

One of the best films of the year! I tell everyone the best review of it I can give is it was more a show than a movie. Everyone involved put on a show for the ages! If only some could get over their agendas and watch the film for the film and nothing else outside of it. No matter, clearly many people around the globe are doing just that. What a triumph!

Even if the movie wasn’t directed by Bryan Singer, it’d still be generic, cliched, a bore to watch, weirdly homophobic, and littered with inaccuracies for contrived dramatic tension.  Stop acting as if this is some “agenda” whenever someone doesn’t like the movie.  I hate everything about this movie, and Bryan Singer being the director of it is just the cherry on top.

Edited by That One Guy
  • Like 2
  • Astonished 1
  • ...wtf 1

10 hours ago, That One Guy said:

Even if the movie wasn’t directed by Bryan Singer, it’d still be generic, cliched, a bore to watch, weirdly homophobic, and littered with inaccuracies for contrived dramatic tension.  Stop acting as if this is some “agenda” whenever someone doesn’t like the movie.  I hate everything about this movie, and Bryan Singer being the director of it is just the cherry on top.

No-one cares about your opinion. The majority love this movie and see nothing homophobic with it but hey there's always a few snowflakes who want to throw their toys out the cot because a biopic about one of the most famous bands of all time didn't focus on the gays too much. <Mod Edit>

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Jessie said:

No-one cares about your opinion. The majority love this movie and see nothing homophobic with it but hey there's always a few snowflakes who want to throw their toys out the cot because a biopic about one of the most famous bands of all time didn't focus on the gays too much. Go watch brokeback mountain and stop your fucking moaning

Sorry for sharing my opinion on a movie forum.  Especially when one makes a post that seems to be a direct response to my opinion.  I’ll refrain from doing so in the future so I don’t offend “snowflakes” like you.

33 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Sorry for sharing my opinion on a movie forum.  Especially when one makes a post that seems to be a direct response to my opinion.  I’ll refrain from doing so in the future so I don’t offend “snowflakes” like you.

You called the movie homophobic, you don't deserve an opinion. It was even made by a gay guy 😂

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Jessie said:

You called the movie homophobic, you don't deserve an opinion. It was even made by a gay guy 😂

Yes, and I’m a bisexual who’s viewing a movie about a bisexual.  Just because it’s made by a gay guy doesn’t mean it’s automaticaly not homophobic.  Especially because he had little to no involvement with the script.

3 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Yes, and I’m a bisexual who’s viewing a movie about a bisexual.  Just because it’s made by a gay guy doesn’t mean it’s automaticaly not homophobic.  Especially because he had little to no involvement with the script.

The movie is called Bohemien rhapsody, not the queer life of Freddie mercury. Nothing will ever please you people. People came for the band and the music, choosing not to make his queer life which led to aids the centre of the movie was a good choice as it's clearly not a tone people want to see and the numbers support this. Queens music touched on so many people lives, there's nothing wrong with making that the main focus of the film, if you don't like it then fair enough but calling it homophobic just doesn't make your opinion credible 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Jessie said:

The movie is called Bohemien rhapsody, not the queer life of Freddie mercury. Nothing will ever please you people. People came for the band and the music, choosing not to make his queer life which led to aids the centre of the movie was a good choice as it's clearly not a tone people want to see and the numbers support this. Queens music touched on so many people lives, there's nothing wrong with making that the main focus of the film, if you don't like it then fair enough but calling it homophobic just doesn't make your opinion credible 

I think it’s homophobic because the movie treats his homosexuality as if it’s a problem for him to overcome.  It’s all there; the movie seems to act as if his gay relationships are an issue for him rather than something he should embrace.  His relationship with another man is the entire reason that the band broke up within the movie (another inaccuracy for forced dramatic tension).  Every problem is solved when he stops embracing his homosexuality.  Even if this wasn’t intentional, it’s still a bad look, and something the movie CAN be criticized for.

It’s not that the movie doesn’t focus on his homosexuality enough.  It’s that the movie focuses on it in such an insulting way.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, That One Guy said:

I think it’s homophobic because the movie treats his homosexuality as if it’s a problem for him to overcome.  It’s all there; the movie seems to act as if his gay relationships are an issue for him rather than something he should embrace.  His relationship with another man is the entire reason that the band broke up within the movie (another inaccuracy for forced dramatic tension).  Every problem is solved when he stops embracing his homosexuality.  Even if this wasn’t intentional, it’s still a bad look, and something the movie CAN be criticized for.

It’s not that the movie doesn’t focus on his homosexuality enough.  It’s that the movie focuses on it in such an insulting way.

This isn’t true. His relationship with Jim Hutton is portrayed positively even if his screentime is small. Hell, Mercury has to BECOME comfortable with his sexuality before they get in a relationship (blah blah historical inaccuracies). 

3 minutes ago, Jessie said:

For saying musicals are gay and for liking BR. Wow, so homophobic...

Not really what you’re saying, but rather how you’re talking about it, and the words used. “his queer life which led to aids” doesn’t sound super respectful. Idk, i’m just another straight dude on the internet so maybe it’s not my place to deem what is and isn’t homophobic.

The 1980s was problematic for homosexuality in the UK. 1988 saw the introduction of the section 28 law banning it's promotion by government institutions. Prominent individuals felt they had to hide their sexuality.

9 minutes ago, TMP said:

Not really what you’re saying, but rather how you’re talking about it, and the words used. “his queer life which led to aids” doesn’t sound super respectful. Idk, i’m just another straight dude on the internet so maybe it’s not my place to deem what is and isn’t homophobic.

I don't understand how you can call it disrespectful or even say it differently. His queer life of parting hard and having unprotected gay sex lead to his disease, it's pointing out a commonly known fact about the guy and it takes absolutely nothing away from him. There's not really a way of sugar coating it 

Bohemian Rhapsody uses extensive amount of feel good drama approach to make general audience loves them, there is a reason why the movie staying power was so strong. 

I instantly recognize all those tactic in the cinema, but i still fall, it is not the best movie of the year, my best film of the year is spider-verse and roma. 

But I must say, the movie did uses feel good approach effectively, I got it. The advantage of feel good tactic in filmmaking is, the flaw of the film can't bother general audience and they feel good after the film. 

And I must say, this could be the first LGBT film given the crowd-pleaser treatment style, well-received by heterosexual dominated crowd. 

2 hours ago, That One Guy said:

I have not seen the film but...

You are looking at Homosexuality from a 2019 perspective and not a 1980s perspective.

You may be on the younger side but I think you fail to realize how different things were about such issues even 20-40 years ago.

A lot of people who were gay in the past felt it was some sort of an 'affliction' or that it was a 'fault of their character' which is stupid but that is how people felt.