kayumanggi

BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY | Nov 2 2018 | Fox | Rami Malek | Queen biopic | Bryan Singer fired | Kindly avoid libeling anyone in this thread

BR's GG success makes 100% sense cause BR is the absolute event of 2018 in foreign markets. It's the most beloved movie over there and it makes sense that FOREIGN press association would click with it more than with strictly American-themed movies that were vying for Best Picture Drama. It's just the way it is. So American twitters that go 'but but Bryan Singer" or whatever other reason why BR shouldn't have won better learn to look at it from foreign perspective. The movie brought Freddie back to life and that moved people more than movies that moved Americans because of domestic themes that are unrelatable or simply no1curr internationally. There's no chance it wins the Oscar for the same reason since, while a huge hit domestically, it isn't a cultural phenom it is overseas. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

BR's GG success makes 100% sense cause BR is the absolute event of 2018 in foreign markets. It's the most beloved movie over there and it makes sense that FOREIGN press association would click with it more than with strictly American-themed movies that were vying for Best Picture Drama. It's just the way it is. So American twitters that go 'but but Bryan Singer" or whatever other reason why BR shouldn't have won better learn to look at it from foreign perspective. The movie brought Freddie back to life and that moved people more than movies that moved Americans because of domestic themes that are unrelatable or simply no1curr internationally. There's no chance it wins the Oscar for the same reason since, while a huge hit domestically, it isn't a cultural phenom it is overseas. 

Agree, when a one-off movie, dialogue and song driven pure drama made a potential 800m worldwide, it is clearly evident that general public loves the film. It is very rare drama without visual extravaganza or action-packed plot can do this well, and its lead is gay!

Not even that, IMDB . RT audience score to cinema score, all suggest that the film is adored by the crowd.  

The film has no chance in Oscar but it did helps to hype up the award season, by giving more mysterious buzz about what film will win eventually, instead of all the award go to one or two films, and almost everybody can guess which film is going to win on oscar night. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Agree, when a one-off movie, dialogue and song driven pure drama made a potential 800m worldwide, it is clearly evident that general public loves the film. It is very rare drama without visual extravaganza or action-packed plot can do this well, and its lead is gay!

Not even that, IMDB . RT audience score to cinema score, all suggest that the film is adored by the crowd.  

The film has no chance in Oscar but it did helps to hype up the award season, by giving more mysterious buzz about what film will win eventually, instead of all the award go to one or two films, and almost everybody can guess which film is going to win on oscar night. 

All of This.

also, I enjoy uncertainty over what's gonna win Picture. :stirthepot:

Edited by Valonqar

1 hour ago, Lordmandeep said:

I have not seen the film but...

You are looking at Homosexuality from a 2019 perspective and not a 1980s perspective.

You may be on the younger side but I think you fail to realize how different things were about such issues even 20-40 years ago.

A lot of people who were gay in the past felt it was some sort of an 'affliction' or that it was a 'fault of their character' which is stupid but that is how people felt.

The movie is a 2018 movie, not an 80s movie now, is it?  The movie itself sides with a 1980s perspective on homosexuality.  The film itself seems to claim that it is a genuine fault on his character, and that his homosexual relationships leads to the band breaking up (which again, didn’t happen, making it all the more contrived)

• Like 1

This was basically confirmed yesterday as not being our Best Picture winner after missing WGA (and it’s gonna be tough to crack the field at the Oscars given what’s nominated - The Favourite will replace either Eighth Grade or A Quiet Place since it was ineligible) so all this handwringing over the movie is pretty much for naught.

1 hour ago, That One Guy said:

The movie is a 2018 movie, not an 80s movie now, is it?  The movie itself sides with a 1980s perspective on homosexuality.  The film itself seems to claim that it is a genuine fault on his character, and that his homosexual relationships leads to the band breaking up (which again, didn’t happen, making it all the more contrived)

Movie is made in 2018 but is set in the 80s...

hmmmm

hmmmmm

hmmmmmmmmmmmm

Using your logic Gladiator should have any slaves in it as slavery was wrong?

I am just confused really. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

23 minutes ago, filmlover said:

This was basically confirmed yesterday as not being our Best Picture winner after missing WGA (and it’s gonna be tough to crack the field at the Oscars given what’s nominated - The Favourite will replace either Eighth Grade or A Quiet Place since it was ineligible) so all this handwringing over the movie is pretty much for naught.

except that certain handwringlers will feel like their power of complaint sunk BR's Best Picture chances which it never had to begin with. that's really the whole point of useless handwringling, the right to spin the outcome as the result of it. 

I enjoyed this movie very much, and the reason was the amazing songs. I will not pretend that i was an Queen fan for years but everybody knew the songs so listening to them all together was huge fun. Other than that it was like reading wikipedia, it jumped from scene to scene, and from song to song without investing in the story.
Rami was amazing but it is kind of annoying that he keeps imitating Freddie Mercury even on an awards stage or when he is asked about Singer he answers "it's about Freddie, people love Freddie".
People love Freddie and Freddie Mercury was and will always be more than just a movie. There will be more adaptations in the future so i wish they could just stop hidding in his shadow to avoid problems. 

I'm beyond happy that Freddie Mercury movie is SH-level hit. I knew it would be huge when people got up and started to chant Freddie Freddie teary eyed and all at the end of the movie on the opening night. I just didn't know HOW huge but I'm glad BR keeps exceeding expectations.

and whether Fox is hiding their problems behind Freddie tribute or not, it's nice to hear cast&crew crediting Freddie and saying awards are for him. 

Edited by Valonqar

4 hours ago, Lordmandeep said:

Movie is made in 2018 but is set in the 80s...

hmmmm

hmmmmm

hmmmmmmmmmmmm

Using your logic Gladiator should have any slaves in it as slavery was wrong?

I am just confused really. 

It's like how a movie that takes place anywhere from, IDK, 1920s to the 1970s, but if the movie was made in the 21st century, it won't show that much smoking, compared to movies/TV shows that were actually made back then and at least half the population smoked. I mean, they used to even smoke on game shows.  Except for maybe Mad Men, but that was a cable show for adults, but anything PG-13 or lower that is made these days tends to avoid showing the "good guys" smoking. Even if they are playing characters in a time where a lot of people smoked and big 1950s-1960s sitcom star would endorse cigarettes in character and on the TV show set.

It's kind of the same with how this movie handles Freddie's sexuality, I wouldn't entirely say it portrayed homosexuality as an obstacle, but the way the Jim Hutton relationship played out does remind me of the 1990s movies where Hollywood wanted to be progressive, but couldn't show too much for fear of audiences shunning. Like in Philadelphia, when it was made in the early 90s and didn't show Tom Hanks actually kissing a love interest, even though the movie was about this gay man in a relationship who got discriminated against because he had AIDS. If it was made now (but still set 25-ish years ago) and portrayed the sexuality in that retro way, it would be reviewed a lot more harshly that it was at the time. Even under a PG-13 rating, there's a bit more freedom with how far directors can go with a male-male romantic scenes. You can think the movie was really tame and not necessarily believe it should have had an R rating.

Edited by BoxOfficeChica
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, BoxOfficeChica said:

It's like how a movie that takes place anywhere from, IDK, 1920s to the 1970s, but if the movie was made in the 21st century, it won't show that much smoking, compared to movies/TV shows that were actually made back then and at least half the population smoked. I mean, they used to even smoke on game shows.  Except for maybe Mad Men, but that was a cable show for adults, but anything PG-13 or lower that is made these days tends to avoid showing the "good guys" smoking. Even if they are playing characters in a time where a lot of people smoked and big 1950s-1960s sitcom star would endorse cigarettes in character and on the TV show set.

It's kind of the same with how this movie handles Freddie's sexuality, I wouldn't entirely say it portrayed homosexuality as an obstacle, but the way the Jim Hutton relationship played out does remind me of the 1990s movies where Hollywood wanted to be progressive, but couldn't show too much for fear of audiences shunning. Like in Philadelphia, when it was made in the early 90s and didn't show Tom Hanks actually kissing a love interest, even though the movie was about this gay man in a relationship who got discriminated against because he had AIDS. If it was made now (but still set 25-ish years ago) and portrayed the sexuality in that retro way, it would be reviewed a lot more harshly that it was at the time. Even under a PG-13 rating, there's a bit more freedom with how far directors can go with a male-male romantic scenes. You can think the movie was really tame and not necessarily believe it should have had an R rating.

That is not a critique I think that can be focused on this film alone really though. 

I think most people wanted to watch the film for his music then it being a thinkpiece about his sexuality though?

Edited by Lordmandeep

34 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

I think most people wanted to watch the film for his music then it being a thinkpiece about his sexuality though?

Pretty much. It’s one of the reasons why we’ll never get a warts-and-all Michael Jackson biopic (such a biopic would never get the approval of the Jackson Estate and no one’s gonna see a biopic about a musician without the greatest hits).

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, That One Guy said:

homophobic because the movie treats his homosexuality as if it’s a problem for him to overcome.  

the film doesn’t do that, at all. you mentioned the band breaking up as example. the band broke up in the movie because fame and success went over freddie’s head, a typical trope in musical biopics.

• Like 2

People loooove mediocrity and mediocre films and filmmaking.

That s why they literraly adore this film and recommand it to their friends and families.

Mediocrity is championned, as it always is.

Even better, mediocrity is Universal and sells everywhere since this movie is beloved in so many countries.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 1