75Live

Weekend Thread | est. DS 43 | Trolls 35 | Arrival 24 | Alm.X-Mas 15.56 | Hacksaw 10.77 | Account. 4.57 |

54 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Arclight is okay, but it is owned by the Church... of Scientology. Can't go there in good conscience anymore.

Going to the Spectrum to watch Arrival later today.

Really, I thought that was not true.

Very good for Arrival, at least I kind of get what Paramount was thinking with the theater count given the combo of star/subject matter: hopeful the reviews will help with WOM/legs but hedging their bets just in case the public doesn't get it. Flight, OTOH, I will never understand Paramount never expanding to even 3000 theaters its entire run, unless they had "research" saying the heartland would be turned off by Denzel playing a drugged up, drunk version of Sully banging women half his age. 

Edited by BoxOfficeChica
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CJohn said:

I was talking this to another forum member yesterday. Paramount dropped the ball. This could have opened with 30M. Paramount has been absolutely incompetent this year.

30m is not a very big opening either, that would still be third for the weekend.  You know Paramount was hoping for 40m+, those aspirations were probably too big.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Their fall will be solid. Transformers will save their summer. Everything else does look pretty weak next year though. 

Edited by babz06

Good weekend for my movie watching so far.  Arrival was great, Dr. Strange was so so, but fun enough, so I can't complain.  The numbers are pretty good too this weekend :) 

3 hours ago, La Binoche said:

Oh wait I just saw this on Deadline: 

Twenty-nine percent of those who arrived at the theater to watch  Arrival came because of Adams which is a solid drew for a headliner.

I seriously doubt this. These poll "reason why" things are meaningless, they were probably intrigued by the concept, and really good reviews helped too.

2 hours ago, grim22 said:

Veterans Day, basically the movies got 2 Saturdays this weekend. Today will see minimal (5-10%) to no bumps for movies due to that.

Oh, didn't realise Friday was a holiday. I didn't know the US celebrated remembrance day, that's weird given that the US wasnt even involved in world war 1.

4 minutes ago, Treecraft said:

Oh, didn't realise Friday was a holiday. I didn't know the US celebrated remembrance day, that's weird given that the US wasnt even involved in world war 1.

The US was involved in WWI but Veteran's Day is for all Veterans of all wars. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, trifle said:

The US was involved in WWI but Veteran's Day is for all Veterans of all wars. 

really? I studied ww1 for 2 years  in school and I don't remember anything about America. huh.

4 minutes ago, Treecraft said:

really? I studied ww1 for 2 years  in school and I don't remember anything about America. huh.

During the war, the U.S. mobilized over 4 million military personnel and suffered 110,000 deaths, including 43,000 due to the influenza pandemic.[

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_in_World_War_I

• Like 7

Not sure if this is slightly pushing on the race angle or not

But there is no denying that Birth of a Nation kind of backfired spectacularly on Fox Searchlight. 15M in the end was pretty much best case scenario after all that happened. Won't be a big write-down, but will take a long life on home video and peripherals to get to break-even.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

But there is no denying that Birth of a Nation kind of backfired spectacularly on Fox Searchlight. 15M in the end was pretty much best case scenario after all that happened. Won't be a big write-down, but will take a long life on home video and peripherals to get to break-even.

that's less than what fox searchlight paid for it at sundance. who was that guy declaring over and over that it wasn't a flop and that leg would easily carry it to 25?

17 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Those are ridiculous comparisons .  Might as well call it an "Urban movie" which is a bullshit descriptor.

The Free State Of Jones is a far better recent comparison. 

Or if one wants to compare biopics of important black figures then Selma or Malcom X.  Or slavery movies - Armistiad, 12 Years A Slave.  Or Civil War movies -Lincoln, Glory.  Etc etc. 

But Pootie Tang?  GTFO

$15.5m+ another $15-20m in marketing  =  $30-35m output for $7.5m back in box office - maybe a million or two O/S but I don't see it making much without award contention.  There's ancillary but $23-28m worth, that's a long haul to get to  break even.   Not a big write down for a major studio at all but for the specialty arm of Searchlight it's significant.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, BoxOfficeChica said:

Really, I thought that was not true.

Very good for Arrival, at least I kind of get what Paramount was thinking with the theater count given the combo of star/subject matter: hopeful the reviews will help with WOM/legs but hedging their bets just in case the public doesn't get it. Flight, OTOH, I will never understand Paramount never expanding to even 3000 theaters its entire run, unless they had "research" saying the heartland would be turned off by Denzel playing a drugged up, drunk version of Sully banging women half his age. 

It's not true.

http://la.curbed.com/2013/10/11/10189010/is-arclight-cinemas-owned-by-the-church-of-scientology