75Live

Weekend Numbers: Fantastic Beasts 75M, Strange 17.6M, Trolls 17.5M, Arrival 11.8M, Edge of 17 4.8M, Bleed 2.35M, Billy Lynn 930k

Remember the macabre sentiment last Tuesday was that "Hey, at least with President Trump, filmgoing will go up and there will be less underperformers because movies are escapism"?

Yeah, the "no underperformers" part lasted about a week 

• Like 5

• Community Manager
3 minutes ago, RyneOh1040 said:

I think we, like Hermione in DH1, have to remember perspective.  IF this can still open around 75 million it comes it right at where tracking had it.  I think some of us wanted this to touch Potter OW numbers and that may be have been out of touch.  A 75 OW, and 200+ would, IMO, be enough to keep the series on track for 5 films.  WB is in desperate enough shape in terms of franchises (with DC response being mild) to want to have another 600-700 WW grosser per year.   Also, if the sequels can do more to tie in Hogwarts/Dumbledore it might peak more interest for the Potterheads.  I know at least 4 friends who love the series and havent seen this yet (and arent seeing it OW).  The rush just isn't there and if they can do more to tie it back in with the original characters and settings maybe some of the later entries can get a bump.  Again just my thoughts but I think their relationship with JK is important (especially with a potential Cursed Child series) and reviews are good enough that even if this comes in on the lower end of expectations they'll be happy.  

The next 4 films will drop bigly though. This first film needed to be a knockout hit.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Nutella of Arabia said:

You're welcome to PM me if you want to discuss it further. That's really minor, man -- I don't consider that any sort of abrasive comment, actual slur or attack on you. You're not really helping your argument by accusing me of not reading the thread or not having a clue either.

I didn't consider it a slur or attack either, but LOL at acting like someone @ someone out of the blue and gloating weirdly and incorrectly and then of course refusing to even point out what the hell the point was wasn't intended to be abrasive.  Shit man, Calbears even admitted that is exactly what his intent was because of some perceived slight in a completely different and unrelated thread. 

Look again if you missed it @Nutella of Arabia, he flat out told you he did it intentionally a few pages ago if you don't remember, so LOL at calling me out.  

Either way, not a big surprise as the board moderation in the weekend threads is usually half assed at best and the reason they turn into a clusterfuck.  Not surprised to see it happen again as it happens all the time so seems business as usual.  

Just now, Blankments said:

Remember the macabre sentiment last Tuesday was that "Hey, at least with President Trump, filmgoing will go up and there will be less underperformers because movies are escapism"?

Chillax, dude. This just had little appeal to those who weren't already enamored with Harry Potter. Plus, it's still early.

1 hour ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Who'd have thought Marvel Studios foray into the magic with Strange would possibly resonate more with DOM audiences than spinoff to Potter, set in the same universe with Rowling as the story/screenwriter, David "Potter" Yates directing and Heyman still essentially as the show-runner. Could be very interesting to see which grosses more DOM.

Apparently Rowling didn't actually write the script, she only wrote the story, and Kloves and Lionel Wigram worked on the script.

24 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

You've been basically trolling Baumer, myself and others in the RO under 450m, I'm not the only one to get annoyed by it.

Here you go @Nutella of Arabia

Like I said, next time try a little harder to read the thread and understand before you call someone out publicly.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Blankments said:

People are too busy rioting to go to the movies, duh!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Blankments said:

Only because Fantastic Beasts' time period reminds Americans we're heading for another Great Depression.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I think they'll be disappointed with domestic but as long as overseas holds up then it'll be fine. Potter was more of a OS beast especially in its native U.K. And it's seems to doing very well in the U.K. 

Yes, but the fact that it's going to do average business in NA, where earlier Potter films often opened better, even if it is a spinoff. It's gotta be a blow for WB.