75Live

Weekend Numbers: Fantastic Beasts 75M, Strange 17.6M, Trolls 17.5M, Arrival 11.8M, Edge of 17 4.8M, Bleed 2.35M, Billy Lynn 930k

2 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Or you guys could actually do your job correctly for once in a big weekend thread, but that might be asking too much.  

This is the third time you're directing calling us out (and frankly, insulting us) for gently asking you not to be quite so rude to people. Do you have no greater perspective about this at all?

• Like 11

5 minutes ago, Dbot1800 said:

I wish I could believe that.  But I get the feeling that Disney won't let these new heroes they have created die at the end of the movie.

Well that's true, knowing Disney's current whoring of Star Wars, they probably have an entire Rogue One trilogy planned between the PT and OT

2 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

This is not a Harry Potter film. This is a Fantastic Beasts film. We don't know how stable this series is yet but frankly the reception to this event among the hardcore hasn't been what it needed to be for me to be confident about stability.

People seem to think that just because it's set in the same universe, it'll follow the same rules as the main series. Nope. Same universe, different franchises.

I don't disagree with you but there are too sides of that coin.  You can't say it's doing poorly (when a new franchise that started with a 70+ million opener would be heralded) and then in the same sentence bash it for not reaching the heights of the second highest grossing franchise of all time.  People need to pick a lane.  That's all I'm saying.

It's not doing poorly. I'm saying it now. It's easily going to gross $750M WW. I mean, that's pretty good. Just below expectations. If it grosses sub-$200M DOM, that's not poor but it ain't what WB wants either. Set the next installment in Gotham with Newt and Bats working alongside one another. Win, win.

• Like 6

• Community Manager
1 minute ago, GiantCALBears said:

WB I like your opinions, whats your current feeling on RO? Curious...

450 million about. Wouldn't be surprised  it's lower or higher but the trailer are great, the buzz is good, and even though it's a spinoff it has familiar Star Wars characters and objects. I think it has a story audiences will care about.

In Disney I trust.

• Like 8

Just now, Water Bottle said:

450 million about. Wouldn't be surprised  it's lower or higher but the trailer are great, the buzz is good, and even though it's a spinoff it has familiar Star Wars characters and objects. I think it has a story audiences will care about.

In Disney I trust.

Is the implication there that FB doesn't really have a story the GA would care about?

3 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Well that's true, knowing Disney's current whoring of Star Wars, they probably have an entire Rogue One trilogy planned between the PT and OT

An entire trilogy based on the rebellion stealing Death Star plans and putting them in a droid. :rofl:

When 90% of this takes place in Rogue One. :rofl:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

It's not doing poorly. I'm saying it now. It's easily going to gross $750M WW. I mean, that's pretty good. Just below expectations. If it grosses sub-$200M DOM, that's not poor but it ain't what WB wants either. Set the next installment in Gotham with Newt and Bats working alongside one another. Win, win.

this is perspective.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Water Bottle said:

In Disney I trust.

Also: "This is a rebellion, isn't it? I rebel."

Words that probably ring true at the moment.

• Like 1

• Community Manager
1 minute ago, GiantCALBears said:

Is the implication there that FB doesn't really have a story the GA would care about?

I'm not implying it. As a huge Harry Potter fan who has seen the movie, I'm saying it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WrathOfHan said:

151.4M from weekends through Christmas alone. It should still get to 200M with a 75M OW.

This is potter.

Try 2.4x.

70 OW

170-175 total

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

The main problem is sustaining 750 m WW for five movies.

I doubt future movies increase so it's probably a downhill slide from here.

Edited by grey ghost
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, grey ghost said:

So much for the five sequels planned for FB.

WB will probably push a Harry Potter reboot instead.

NA might come in soft (180 was my prediction about six months ago so I don't think this is soft at all, to me is pretty normal) but internationally this will probably do very well. So I don't see any reason to abandon Fantastics universe and the sequals.

13 minutes ago, Nutella of Arabia said:

This is the third time you're directing calling us out (and frankly, insulting us) for gently asking you not to be quite so rude to people. Do you have no greater perspective about this at all?

Oh, you guys don't like being insulted publicly?  Imagine that, isn't it funny how that works?