CaptainJackSparrow

⊃∪∩⪽ | Legendary | October 22 2021 | Denis Villeneuve | Returns to IMAX on December 3

Valonqar I admire your efforts, but this has "flop" written all over it.

It will be front-loaded as hell here in continental Europe as  the book is obscure to most, and there is no global superstar that can actually sell the film to the over 40 moviegoers (I'm talking about Di Caprio,Pitt, Kidman, Jolie etc..).

The first few days its gross will be pretty great, as the ultra nerds and few  book fans will show up, but soon after it will decline into oblivion...mark my words.

As for the USA I have no clue,, but I guess it's not going to do too well there either. 

Edited by ThePrinceIsOnFire

7 minutes ago, ThePrinceIsOnFire said:

Valonqar I admire your efforts, but this has "flop" written all over it.

It will be front-loaded as hell here in continental Europe as  the book is obscure to most, and there is no global superstar that can actually sell the film to the over 40 moviegoers (I'm talking about Di Caprio,Pitt, Kidman, Jolie etc..).

The first few days its gross will be pretty great, as the ultra nerds and few  book fans will show up, but soon after it will decline into oblivion...mark my words.

As for the USA I have no clue,, but I guess it's not going to do too well there either. 

Frontloaded isn't a bad thing if OW is big and this looks like it'll have a big enough OW to sustain potential drop. We'll see but, atm, lets appreciate that it's shaping up to be bigger in Europe than anticipated. So I wouldn't call it a flop since it's exceeding expectations. Which weren't high but it's exceeding them so that's a win. :)

I doubt it will be frontloaded this way with the stellar reception it gets in Europe. This book sell 20 million copies or so, it's not that niched.

Yes it's tricky and everything that we've been discussing for years now, still i think is a little smug to act like audiences cannot develop interest in it, people can engaje in a 155 minutes scifi if they liked the movie.

Trailer views for this are great and lots of people don't think it's a good representation of interest, now it's doing excellent whenever it was released and people still think is not a good indicative that maybe this isn't the colossal failure that was expected to be.

We still need to see how reception will be on Asia, US etc (and HBO Max will hurt it), but so far being positive about it seems normal to me because well, it is doing good.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Last Man Standing said:

It's an extremely limited sample size, but considering all of the constant gravedancing about this movie's box office prospects, the numbers so far are a reason to be optimistic for sure.

Amen. Nothing here screams flop/bomb. Quite the contrary. 

On 9/14/2021 at 7:27 PM, ThomasNicole said:

Did you realize HBO Max already asked for a TV show right? 

They´re investing not only in movies but also in other projects for their streaming related to Dune, clearly they want to build this universe even if it doesn´t find huge audiences in the first movie, there´s always room to grow when you have such an intriguing world building being constructed, and also they already know this movie will never make enough money since their entire slate passed through the same, so they won´t see the underwhelming box office numbers and decide there won´t be another movie being made because of that alone.

Even variety say that clearly:

´´However, insiders say the HBO Max deal gives Villeneuve assurances that diminished box office revenues won’t prohibit him from having the chance to make his follow-up film. Other films that had a hybrid release still have sequel talks, with Warner Bros. looking to develop other installments in its “Mortal Kombat” universe.´´ 

Clearly this is another WB move trying to short cut to success. This happened to DCEU when they assemble their superheros before the general audience even care about the universe. The result is history. 

Now Dune number isn't even out yet they are already thinking how can exploit this into a series forgetting the fact that Marvel took years and extra care to make sure they have strong base before moving into TV series. 

2 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Clearly this is another WB move trying to short cut to success. This happened to DCEU when they assemble their superheros before the general audience even care about the universe. The result is history. 

Now Dune number isn't even out yet they are already thinking how can exploit this into a series forgetting the fact that Marvel took years and extra care to make sure they have strong base before moving into TV series. 

Yeah i disagreed with this comparisson. Dune have more than enough material to get a TV Show and it can actually help to build the brand because this needs some extra content, the mithology is too complex, having other projects will only help to make it clearer for audiences.

You don't necessarily need to be solidified with movies to do a TV Show just because Marvel did this way.

DC Universe was indeed chaotic but unlike that Dune have one person taking care of the Universe which is Villeneuve, and he already delivered a well received First movie (critically at least).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

You don't need to wait a decade to make a TV show spin-off. Plus, the show is set a prequel set before the movie. Making it a movie would just confuse audiences. This isn't even up to WB. It's a Legendary franchise.

It started with a 8.7/10 on imdb and 4.0 on letterboxd and people are still here saying people won't love the movie and a 1.5M opening day in france it's because of the popularity of a sci fi nerd book written in english 60 years ago  😅 (according to this idea every pride and prejudice movie should sell 4 m tickets in one day).

For you to know, probably the 80% of kids and under 30 outside the United Kingdom never heard about the lord of the rings before 2001. 

ps: nicole kidman doesn't sell a movie since like the 1998 😇

Edited by vale900

Actually Marvel made the first series connected to the movie universe (agents of the shield) back in 2013.

The boom of the streaming market is more recent, so it's disney plus. They had Abc but you can't put 7-8 marvel series every year on abc.

Same reason star wars needed 40 years for a live action series. 

Edited by vale900

6 hours ago, Eric and the Ten Rings said:

Give me all the deets on Timmy

Chalamet is far removed from the usual main character in a big blockbuster. Potentially not the best for a general audience mostly familiar with Marvel performances, but a huge win for me looking for anything different in big movies. He's really great in it, and brings a level of maturity to how he approaches the role that puts the performance many notches above other franchise leads. I could say the same for many aspects of the film.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, vale900 said:

Reactions by french people on twitter are like for the 90% very positive but ... they're french 😄

This one is in English:

Theater was packed when I saw it today. Just got back. I won't spoil anything, but just let me tell you that the journos who said that it was too complicated to follow unless you've read the books, and that you should just enjoy the ride are complete smoothbrains. I didn't read the books, the movie wasn't hard to follow. There aren't many characters.

The only thing I imagine they might have found confusing was the fremen language they use sometimes, but it's all explained. Like they'll go "shai hulud means sand worm in the fremen tongue", and then later in the movie they refer to the sand worms as shai hulud without turning to the camera and going "that means sand worm, remember?"
Overall good movie, and the audience didn't seem composed of book nerds, there were a bunch of normies, which is a good sign.

Also, confirmed that Canada can see it only in theaters. 

It's a great film, a breath of fresh air for big blockbuster filmmaking. In the age of quips, and an excessive need to look at the audience and nod to confirm that "yes, we know big concepts are silly"... this has the same level of maturity to the way it approaches scenes and characters as great indie dramas, just with a budget and scope that makes it look bigger than the biggest blockbusters.

I was very high on it to start, after a little while it started petering out even though it remained very good, but then something would happen that brought it up again, and kept moving along very well. I do not know how a general audience is gonna react to the pacing of it, or the somber tone. It works very well for me, but I am definitely gonna have to be picky which ones among my close friends I recommend it to. It would be easier to recommend to people, had the story actually ended here.

The main point of contention is definitely going to be where it ends. I think what makes the ending feel jarring to people is what big blockbusters have conditioned us to expect from the third act. You tend to end a blockbuster with the biggest action scene occupying the third act, but Dune is a pretty extreme version of doing the opposite. The lack of a huge climactic sequence probably doesn't clue some people in that the end of the movie is about to come. I would say that to me the movie felt about as complete as Fellowship, which does have a grander third act (though compared to pretty much any setpiece in the following two films, it's pretty damn small and insignificant, just dudes in the woods), but it also could not make it more clear that there is absolutely more story to come. What'll also set people off with Dune is not even knowing if there's actually gonna be more to come, and if there is, when?

If Dune Part 2 (and maybe even a Part 3) is comparable to this, then collectively Dune has a real shot at being my favorite film trilogy (or duology), that would truly make this the cinematic thunderclap that one tweet claimed. Dune Part 1 just can't do it alone.  Though as far as comparing it to other first-entries in a franchise? This is the best in a long time.

• Like 12

I would pretty much agree with what @Lucas wrote. Dune just oozes quality, it's a mood piece on a grand scale with a thick atmosphere, it is not afraid of giving scenes room to breathe and the actors are on top of their game. My man Villeneuve is not interested in silly popcorn cinema, which i appreciate but i dunno how the serious tone and slower pacing will go down with mainstream audiences. And yeah, the ending is rather low-key. I wish, they had shot Part 1 and 2 back to back.

Already got tickets for my 2nd viewing, this time in IMAX. Looking forward to that. :)

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, Elessar said:

I would pretty much agree with what @Lucas wrote. Dune just oozes quality, it's a mood piece on a grand scale with a thick atmosphere, it is not afraid of giving scenes room to breathe and the actors are on top of their game. My man Villeneuve is not interested in silly popcorn cinema, which i appreciate but i dunno how the serious tone and slower pacing will go down with mainstream audiences. And yeah, the ending is rather low-key. I wish, they had shot Part 1 and 2 back to back.

Already got tickets for my 2nd viewing, this time in IMAX. Looking forward to that. :)

Glad you enjoyed it! How crowded was your cinema?

20 minutes ago, A Star is Orm said:

Glad you enjoyed it! How crowded was your cinema?

My showing was pretty full, exception being some places on the very sides and the empty seats due to the pandemic distancing regulations.

However, there are plenty tickets available still for the upcoming weekend. Hopefully, sales pick up.

Edited by Elessar
  • Thanks 1