CaptainJackSparrow

⊃∪∩⪽ | Legendary | October 22 2021 | Denis Villeneuve | Returns to IMAX on December 3

Came out a few hours ago and I am still thrilled.

Wonderful movie with a wonderful cast - Rebecca F and Timothee C. are outstanding.

Definitely the movie of the years so far.

I hope it makes a shitton of money for as many sequels as possible

Go an watch it in cinema/IMAX.. its a fantastic ride - even 3D is not totally awful  ;)

Regarding Oscar nominations.: in pretty much every category it has chances..

Its something else - ROTK level

Edited by chaos
  • Like 4

21 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Do the movie’s Oscar chances still seem promising? I don’t mean in terms of wins, but nominations in general.

I think it will win sound and VFX at least. Picture and director noms seems likely with it being nominated in every technical category. Acting noms aren't happening. Adapted screenplay will be the least likely but still possible.

edit: A win in score is very likely too.

Edited by Felipe

Rebecca Ferguson was outstanding, good enough for a nomination, but a win is not very likely.

Sound design is almost a lock.

And I love the visual style - doing the analog - digital- re-analoging thing makes it uniquely looking like an 70/80ies movie

add.:

all OV showings are pretty much sold out here

add2.:

being here after so many years also could be an indicator for something special  :D

Edited by chaos

5 minutes ago, chaos said:

Rebecca Ferguson was outstanding, good enough for a nomination, but a win is not very likely.

Sound design is almost a lock.

And I love the visual style - doing the analog - digital- re-analoging thing makes it uniquely looking like an 70/80ies movie

add.:

all OV showings are pretty much sold out here

I'm cheering for her, but the Academy has a history of overlooking performances in sci-fi/fantasy films.

$ 35-40M opening OS should be enough to 110M finish in those countries considering great WOM. Still have some important markets to come in October like Latin America, UK etc, which could add 40M or so (mostly from UK which seems Very excited about this).

The rest will depends on Asia, this could do relativelly well in Japan and South Korea given the scale. If they get a date for China before HBO Max maybe it can make 30M  or so there to +50M finish on Asia.

Australia is a big question, but it's coming in December so things should be better and doesn't look like piracy matters that much there, if everything goes right maybe +15M in Australia.

All of this to say, if everything goes right thanks to Europe i can see this doing 200-220M OS which would be a great result. If HBO Max didn't completely destroy the movie on US and Canada, i think 300M worldwide can happen.

Of course it's early, but now it's clear that can happen, and it would be considered a big win, only the second WB movie to reach 300M since pandemic started and enough to guaranteed the sequel, even ignoring HBO streams (which should be good at least considering it have a fan base).

To be honest the way WB movies are doing, i think even 250M worldwide would be considered a win internally.

8 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

$ 35-40M opening OS should be enough to 110M finish in those countries considering great WOM. Still have some important markets to come in October like Latin America, UK etc, which could add 40M or so (mostly from UK which seems Very excited about this).

The rest will depends on Asia, this could do relativelly well in Japan and South Korea given the scale. If they get a date for China before HBO Max maybe it can make 30M  or so there to +50M finish on Asia.

Australia is a big question, but it's coming in December so things should be better and doesn't look like piracy matters that much there, if everything goes right maybe +15M in Australia.

All of this to say, if everything goes right thanks to Europe i can see this doing 200-220M OS which would be a great result. If HBO Max didn't completely destroy the movie on US and Canada, i think 300M worldwide can happen.

Of course it's early, but now it's clear that can happen, and it would be considered a big win, only the second WB movie to reach 300M since pandemic started and enough to guaranteed the sequel, even ignoring HBO streams (which should be good at least considering it have a fan base).

To be honest the way WB movies are doing, i think even 250M worldwide would be considered a win internally.

It'll be interesting. Definitely has a shot of doing better than anticipated, but who knows at this point. 

• Like 1

All I know is WB needs a win. 

Out of boredom I recently calculated how the major studios are doing so far this year, and WB is dead last among them, and only one of two (the other being Lionsgate) in the red in terms of 2021 theatrical product. 

Disney and Universal are on top by a pretty wide margin. 

Edited by tonytr87

11 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

You don't need to wait a decade to make a TV show spin-off. Plus, the show is set a prequel set before the movie. Making it a movie would just confuse audiences. This isn't even up to WB. It's a Legendary franchise.

It is not about how long, it is about how much people cares. Setting an interconnected stories in a universe without having a strong "base reference" for general audience, is taking unnecessary risk and result likely chaotic like DCEU. Any failure in between will make people not taking care your universe seriously. And, it takes time for people to build their "care" or devotion to a universe.

Like DM franchise, people watch Minion because DM form a strong base to start. I doubt the result will be as great if they launched minion and DM concurrently.   

4 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

Do the movie’s Oscar chances still seem promising? I don’t mean in terms of wins, but nominations in general.

It is going to be challenging since the movie isn't that universally acclaim.

This would need BR or Joker like of momentum to carry the film. But WB track record to bring tentpoles to Oscar stage is undeniably good, so ya, there is chance. 

The list of high profile tentpoles (How to define tentpoles itself is already challenging) that got nominated for BP in the past 10 years. So maybe Dune is the next one .

1. Toy Story 3 (Disney)

2. Inception (WB)

3. Gravity (WB)

4. Mad max (WB)

5. Martian (20th)

6. Dunkirk (WB)

7. Bohemian Rhapsody (20th)

8. Black Panther (Disney)

9. Joker (WB)

4 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

LoTR was very crowd pleasing, Dune looks bit artsy from trailer. Is it different in movie?

If your are familiar with Villeneuve movies you know what to expect. I would say something like LOTR is closer to mainstream sensibilities.

On 9/15/2021 at 8:33 AM, Parasite said:

French early WOM seems great from previews, it debuts with a 4.4/5 audience score and 4.0/5 press on Allociné.

Audience scores have been harsher lately since Allociné changed their algorithm to eliminate fake reviews / bots. 4.3s have been acting like 4.5s.

Up to 4.5 now. Only Green Book, Bohemian Rhapsody, Parasite, Spider-Verse and Joker atteined similar scores recently. 

• Like 2