Dementeleus

ROGUE ONE WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals R1 155.09m, Moana 12.7m, OCP 8.58m, CB 7.1m, FB 5.07m

1 minute ago, Bonenash said:

Why JW did nearly 190 after previews? Now we don't know how the public will go the wom  is begin to kick in (or not) via the social network the weather could have affect it the night... Personaly i will not attend a movie even SW if it's raining or cold as fuck i will wait the week end.

So we ll see.

cause it looked like a fun movie for the whole family, and it was. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bonenash said:

Why JW did nearly 190 after previews? Now we don't know how the public will go the wom  is begin to kick in (or not) via the social network the weather could have affect it the night... Personaly i will not attend a movie even SW if it's raining or cold as fuck i will wait the week end.

So we ll see.

JW was a summer release not to mention has nowhere near the rush out factor. Not even really comparable.

Just now, Lestranger said:

I mean JW did 189 after previews. CACW did over 151 million after previews. Why is that so crazy to think RO can do that?

Agree. we'll see how it goes :) but even if its OW is not that good i can't see bad legs....

It's the second most tickets sold at Fandago guys don't forget it even if not all for the OW its second week end will be great :) (as its weekdays) :)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SoSaysI said:

No it doesn't.  But what are your counter examples?  This is uncharted territory since this is the first Star Wars film that is not part of the main series.  Why would this be more frontloaded than Twilight films? 

Because the Twilight movies were entirely driven by their fanbase, while Star Wars is a four-quadrant event that both hardcore and causal fans of most (if not all) generations are into?

5 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

This is straight bait, relax man. Expectations can't be discounted just because they seem optimistic. 

I know lmao, I as starting to think 180M+ as well :) 

Its also me kinda saying what I think. Am I disappointed? A but yea, but I totally know I shouldn't be. A lot of us myself included can get to the point of excitement where if our expectations aren't the floor, than we (I) get disappointed.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lestranger said:

I mean JW did 189 after previews. CACW did over 151 million after previews. Why is that so crazy to think RO can do that?

Why would it have such a dramatically different internal weekend multiplier than TFA, which opened just one year ago on the same weekend? I don't think it will.

• Like 1

Objective facts about Force Awkens :

The Good

- It was a good/great/decent (depending on who you ask) film, very well done by one of the most talented storytellers in modern Hollywood, led by a terrific cast.

- The movie had the usual JJ qualities : great writing (dialogues & banter between characters), great pace, great actor's direction, the movie sings when it s good and feels modern.

-It looked good enough visually with some great shots for the trailers.

-Story & emotional  beats mostly worked.

Story wise, there are two fronts, the global narrative and what happens to the characters

What happens to the characters inside the global narrative : this is where JJ tries a lot of things and takes risks, Rey being force sensitive (the theme and name of the movie) , death of characters, Emo Kylo, crumbs for Episodes 8&9, female (hi Katniss !) and black Lead, the final light saber fight, Luke as the macGuffin

And now

The Ugly with the global narrative :

let s face it, this was A New Hope remake through & through, from Rey s journey to the role of the droids to the Mini Me Darth Vader to the third Death Star, that was so overkill, it was a bitter pill to swallow despite the Han joke about it.

Too many ANH & ESB refrences to count really.

It s absolutely fascinating that Disney spent millions of dollars with their secrecy, to hide the fact they made a bonafide remake.

The movie had no creativity whatsoever artistically, from a design standpoint : spaceships, places.

Despite some new creatures here and there, the only creature that had an important role looked literraly like a giant ass hole.

The mandate of JJ was this : make the movie look like it was shot in 1985 for a 1986 release, 3 years after Return of The jedi.

That was my biggest grip with Force Awakens, it never felt like a 2015 movie, scope wise, ambition wise, set pieces & action wise and VFX wise.

I am harsh but the movie almsot felt cheap.

It wasn't, don't put words into my mouth but you know what I mean.

All The Star Wars movies had a WOW effect, yes, even the PT folks, the PT were fucking epic in scope & scale.

They redefined what you could do in a movie when they were released.

Force Awakens was so obsessed with its nostalgia that it never felt grounbreaking in anything visually or technically.

The last act of RogueOne had that fucking WOW effect that left me in awe, just like a Star Wars movie should.

In comparison, the final space (kinda)  battle above Rey & Kylo s heads in FA felt half-assed and not very spectacular or memorable.

Which is a shame because both JJ's Star Trek were spectacular.

That being said, I completely  understand all these choices, Bob Iger was honest with JJ, he said to him :

this is a 4B$ movie, so this new Star Wars movie needs to be the biggest nostalgia rush for the audiences in the History in Hollywood.

And it was, oh, it was, JJ, Lucasfilms played the nostalgia card with an undeniable virtuosity that was quite a sight to behold.

Wich leads me to my final point : the super positive reception of the movie which to me was rooted in the irrational hatred in the english speaking countries for the Prequels.

Most people hate or tolerate the prequels to various degrees (a tiny minority loves them), every conversation you have about Star Wars will end like this :

- The PT sucks !

or

OT> PT

people joke about the PT all the time and not in a nice way , the role of Force Awakens was to erase officially the existence of the PT in people s minds & the bitter taste the prequels left in everyone s mouth.

JJ never really acknowledged publicly the existence of the prequels, he was maddly in love with that spirit of '77, '80 & '83, and 3 generations of Star Wars fans agree with him.

Critics felt that way too.

JJ was simply the right man at the right time & Katheen Kennedy knew it all too well.

Well fucking played folks, now let s try to be creative in Episode 8.

Rian, I am onto you man.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 7

32 minutes ago, ThePanda A Star Wars Story said:

Critcising ANH for having "out of date" effects would be like criticizing the Vikings for being poor at warfare because axes and swords "are out of date" and so they don't compare to a modern soldier.

Tbh yeah vikings would be bad soldier today, they woudn't be a match for the modern day soldier. One soldier in a tank would beat 1000 vikings. So for they day they might have been extremly strong, but in comperison with the date we live in today they are bad and stupid. Same with the starwars effects or jurasicpark for that matter. They were great, revolutionairy in there time perriod but if you look at them today they woudn't stand a chance. This is not to be rude, and i do respect starwars, i actualy love the story, but the vxf is out dated and most computer games do beter now adays.

Solid number and ahead of BvS and Captain America as expected.  Today will also be helped as a lot of schools let out at noon for the Holiday season.  I think with the WOM and as long as the weather doesn't get too bad still feel pretty good about this going right in the range of where I thought it would.  

• Like 6

However, I think the massive hype surrounding The Force Awakens made it more front-loaded than Rogue One will be, at least during its opening weekend. I’m still going with just over $140 million during its opening weekend, but maybe $141 million is more likely now. On a related note, just over 50% of The Force Awakens could be a trend for Rogue One, as the film earned the tenth biggest opening day in Australia with $4.78 million, or 50.5% of The Force Awakens’ record.

http://www.the-numbers.com/news/218110830-Thursday-Night-Previews-Rogues-Previews-are-One-Half-of-Force-Awakens-at-29-million

@DeeCee

DeeCee!!!!

• Like 10