Dementeleus

ROGUE ONE WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals R1 155.09m, Moana 12.7m, OCP 8.58m, CB 7.1m, FB 5.07m

1 minute ago, Daxtreme said:

Well, if B.J. ends up being right... amazing! I mean, I'm all for it, I just don't see it happening.

If it happens though, R1 grosses $77M in 2nd week-end and 80M in 3rd week-end like he says, 600M is indeed locked and that would be incredible.

Yeah, when I went and looked at those comps, it's pretty crazy.  Yes, the Saturday being Christmas Eve will be deflated, but with Christmas falling on a Sunday, most everyone will get the Monday off.  Then the following weekend, New Year's Eve is nowhere near as depressed as Christmas Eve is, so there's a small increase.  

But, since TFA wasn't able to increase from Christmas Eve-New Year's Eve, so I don't expect this one too either, but it should have a nice drop.

• Like 1

Unless something catastrophic happens re: legs, I'll be happy to finally have another 500m-599m DOM film alongside The Dark Knight. It's so odd that there are 5 600m+ DOM grossers, 18 400M-499M grossers, and just one film in between.

Also, since despite being - imho - a very uneven film, the fact remains that they took far more chances with Rogue One than with TFA, and for that I hope it's very successful and Disney isn't discouraged to take more risks with the upcoming SW films.

Edited by Celedhring
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

It did?

Yeah don't let the positive reviews trick you, audiences did not like it at all. It often comes up as an example of big movies where the critics were polar opposite of the audience.

39 minutes ago, Christmas Baumer said:

Id like to thank Russel Wilson for not throwing to Graham anymore and id like to thank Ajayi for only getting me 5 pts yesterday. Both of them really helped me in the semi finals. (Sarcasm)

I follow the dolphins. Disappointed since I started Ajayi as well, but I had literally no other options lol. They stacked the box and forced Moore to beat them. 33% of his completions ended up being TDs, go figure 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

Rogue One is already the 15th biggest domestic release of 2016 after 3 days :ph34r: 

12   Moana   BV $161,858,745 3,875 $56,631,401 3,875 11/23 -
13  Star Trek Beyond   Par. $158,848,340 3,928 $59,253,211 3,928 7/22 10/20
14  X-Men: Apocalypse  Fox $155,442,489 4,153 $65,769,562 4,150 5/27 7/28
15  Rogue One: A Star Wars Story  BV $155,000,000 4,157 $155,000,000 4,157 12/16 -

Lol @ X-men Apocalypse. They need a revamp badly.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Christmas Baumer said:

Id like to thank Russel Wilson for not throwing to Graham anymore and id like to thank Ajayi for only getting me 5 pts yesterday. Both of them really helped me in the semi finals. (Sarcasm)

:sadben:

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

Rogue One is already the 15th biggest domestic release of 2016 after 3 days :ph34r: 

12   Moana   BV $161,858,745 3,875 $56,631,401 3,875 11/23 -
13  Star Trek Beyond   Par. $158,848,340 3,928 $59,253,211 3,928 7/22 10/20
14  X-Men: Apocalypse  Fox $155,442,489 4,153 $65,769,562 4,150 5/27 7/28
15  Rogue One: A Star Wars Story  BV $155,000,000 4,157 $155,000,000 4,157 12/16 -

Star Trek Beyond... :sadben:

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Am I the only one who has a Valerian trailer in front of Rogue One?

I missed all the trailers, but there was a 5-minute IMAX footage from Dunkirk. Do you know if that was across IMAX cinemas in the US too?

• Like 1

Just now, Treecraft said:

I missed all the trailers, but there was a 5-minute IMAX footage from Dunkirk. Do you know if that was across IMAX cinemas in the US too?

To be honest I'm not certain. I would hope so, wouldn't be fair for us not to see that beaut ;)

11 hours ago, Grand Moff Tele said:

Sure, Luke had gone through some formal training with Yoda at that point. I'm not trying to argue an exact match, or even any sort of power-level type status, merely that what we've seen of Rey so far more-or-less matches what we've seen in other key, Force-sensitive protagonists in the SW movie saga. Honestly, Luke in ANH probably wins all the medals for doing the most with the least concept or direction of what it is he's dealing with (and trying to control). But somehow that's never been an issue at all -- nor do I think it should be! What Luke did was awesome and cool and fun and a great movie experience. And so is what Rey did -- in a somewhat different capacity and with a somewhat different goal. I cheered Luke when I was a kid. I cheer Rey as an adult.

I think it's important to note that I am not approaching this from a storytelling perspective. I am approaching this from a canonical or lore perspective. In terms of relevant experience, in what is currently canon, Luke in ESB had infinitely more than Rey in TFA. He did have some formal training with Yoda, but there was far more to his journey than that. He had a few duels with Vader beforehand, and fought others with a lightsaber. Practiced his lightsaber technique, and force abilities. Rey had only picked up a lightsaber once before, and not to wield it in combat. 

It would be axiomatically ludicrous to criticize Luke's path of development in ANH, as that is the event that sets the precedent. You can say that Luke's accomplishments are more impressive, but that is not what I am concerned with. Luke's major accomplishment before any significant investment of time in force training was in piloting. He was supposed to be a pilot, that was his character. The force aided him in making a shot the script claimed he made many times. If you claim this is more impressive, fine, but that is irrelevant. I will not stand to see Luke's piloting accomplishment compared, apples to apples, to Rey's dueling accomplishment. 

Rey is categorically the least experienced duelist ever to duel in a Saga movie. Even Finn had more experience than her. Infinitely more to be precise. You try to parallel Rey's path with others, but this is no parallel to be drawn. You make the argument that other feats are more impressive, but that is not what I am concerned with. 

I believe you highly underestimate Kylo Ren. He is a dark sided Skywalker. Descended from the most powerful force lineage the universe has ever seen. At least twice as many years in training as Luke when Luke 'beat' Vader in RoTJ. Hand picked by Snoke for his potential, called the killer of jedi because he canonically wiped the jedi out. Kylo Ren does not need to be Vader for the outcome to be questionable.