Dementeleus

ROGUE ONE WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals R1 155.09m, Moana 12.7m, OCP 8.58m, CB 7.1m, FB 5.07m

600m+

Fri 71.1m

Sat: 46.35m

Sun: 38.00m -18%

Opening Wknd: 155.45m

Mon: 20.90m -45%

Tue: 20.05m -4%

Wed: 18.90m -5%

Thur: 21.75m +15%

Opening Wk: 237m

Fri: 29.50m +35%

Sat: 16.85m -42%

Sun: 31.20m +85%

2nd Wknd: 77.40m -50%

Mon: 37.50m +20%

Tue: 26.15m -30%

Wed: 23.50m -10%

Thur: 23.25m -1%

2nd Wk: 187.85m -20%

Fri: 29.25m +25%

Sat: 24.85m -10%

Sun: 26.10m +5%

3rd Wknd: 80.20m +3%

Mon: 22.15m -15%

Tue: 10.00m -55%

Wed: 6.50m -35%

Thur: 6.00m -8%

3rd Wk: 124.85m -33%

Dom total after 21 days: 550m

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Donnie Yen might help offset that a bit - unlike in Russia

Yeah, but the film itself is the big thing. If they don't connect with the story like they didn't with TFA, Donnie Yen is not going to be much of a factor. It'll be a "Donnie Yen was great, but the film was bad - don't bother" kind of thing. The Chinese have plenty of Donnie Yen elsewhere (including in xXx: Return of Xander Cage which might be getting a January 2017 release date near to Rogue One's), so it's not like they're going to sit through what they think is a bad film just to see his character.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, #ED said:

Rogue One is doing great and all, but Fantasy football playoffs are a bitch.

Id like to thank Russel Wilson for not throwing to Graham anymore and id like to thank Ajayi for only getting me 5 pts yesterday. Both of them really helped me in the semi finals. (Sarcasm)

• Like 2

If it holds a 19% drop on Sunday that will be pretty impressive.

It's performance relative to FRI numbers is better than TFA

On a tangential movie note. The USD is not strong because of Trump. It has been getting stronger for some time. Trump was a surprise and the USD was getting stronger long before that surprise. Fed hike had nothing to do with Trump either. Everyone knew that was coming. There should have been a rate hike in the summer/fall but Fed chose not to make one as they didn't want to appear political.

Frankly the Fed should have started raising interest rates 2 years ago but were afraid (and partially cowed by politicians) into not raising them for fear of hurting the economic recovery. But that means when the next recession comes (and we are overdue by historical standards) they haven't given themselves much leverage to do anything.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, RascarCapat said:

I can't read every post of every thread.

And it's not like I didn't post this list 100 times in the RO thread asking if I forgot anyone's prediction.

If you had pinged me or quoted me, I wouldn't have missed your prediction.

You repeatedly wrote to ping or quote you, so it is not you who missed him/her, it id him/her who missed to do it in the correct way.

Its a lot of work you with that club, respect. :)

11 minutes ago, jandrew said:

Never did a trailer report:

How did your mother like the film?

31 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Predictions for next weekend:

Rogue One: 93M

Sing: 50M (70M 5 day)

Passengers: 30M (40M 5 day)

Assassin's Creed: 25M (33M 5 day)

Why Him: 20M

Moana: 10M

Fences: 7M OD

La La Land: 6.5M

Collateral Beauty: 4.7M

Manchester by the Sea: 4.3M

That seems quite high for Rogue One to me. Just a 40% drop when it loses out on the previews (obviously) and has the most important day cut down due to christmas?

That would be an identical drop to TFA, while being in a far worse situation. Instead of getting a boost due to christmas day being on Friday, it actually loses due to christmas eve falling on Saturday.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, B J said:

sure

You think that a mega-blockbuster like this will increase on its 3rd week-end with such huge numbers? 

It's not going to gross almost $80M on its 2nd week-end and then $80M again the next week-end. I'm sorry but that's just not how box office works for big openers. 

Even TFA managed to drop only 40%, and that's an excellent drop, pretty much the best Rogue One could hope for.

Just now, Daxtreme said:

You think that a mega-blockbuster like this will increase on its 3rd week-end with such huge numbers? 

It's not going to gross almost $80M on its 2nd week-end and then $80M again the next week-end. I'm sorry but that's just not how box office works for big openers. 

Even TFA managed to drop only 40%, and that's an excellent drop, pretty much the best Rogue One could hope for.

yup

I'm actually expecting about $70m next weekend, give or take a few million. Last two times the weekend fell on December 23-25, King Kong dropped 57% and Sherlock Holmes 2 dropped 49%, I don't see RO holding better especially with more competition. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

That was the trend for that weekend in 2011.  Every movie except Ghost Protocol increased on New Year's weekend, and even that only dropped .5%.

Of course, those movies weren't making anywhere near what R1 will be making, so I don't see it happening either, but I do think it will have a very good drop.  

• Like 2

Just now, Jake Gittes said:

I'm actually expecting about $70m next weekend, give or take a few million. Last two times the weekend fell on December 23-25, King Kong dropped 57% and Sherlock Holmes 2 dropped 49%, I don't see RO holding better especially with more competition. 

I know Kong isn't a great comparison as it opened so much lower, but it had very bad word of mouth. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jake Gittes said:

I see it holding less since neither of those films had such huge previews in proportion to FSS

• Like 1