John Marston

Wednesday Box Office - (Asgard pg 17) R1 about 15, Sing 11, Ass 4.5, Pass 4.1, Moana 2.2

I love Jennifer Lawrence in Winters Bone, and she's good in Silver Lining, but does anyone else feel like she doesn't suit her characters in most of her newer movies? American hustle, serena, joy, and now passengers she just doesn't suit the characters or age or the characters imo. Haven't seen passengers yet so obviously I can't say for sure, but from what I've seen she seems out of place again.

• Like 2

Thought passengers was pretty good. Not great, but solid. The first 2 acts WERE great, the third was okay, but the most lost some steam for sure, and there was a straight 10 minute segment I thought was pretty bad.

Effects IMO were on the level of gravity. Anyways, hope it builds steam, as it had only half the tickets sold as Assassin's Creed at my theatre.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

No I mean you literally wrote $295M by the end of this coming Monday then $335M by the end of the next. You meant $435M I assume. Your math wouldn't make it $40M over 7 days :P

He was giving 2 alternate scenarios of this week, so low end 295 through Monday the 26th, or high end 335 that day.  My estimate is about 310 which is almost the mid-point of his two.

Edited by MattW
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, HesAPooka said:

I love Jennifer Lawrence in Winters Bone, and she's good in Silver Lining, but does anyone else feel like she doesn't suit her characters in most of her newer movies? American hustle, serena, joy, and now passengers she just doesn't suit the characters or age or the characters imo. Haven't seen passengers yet so obviously I can't say for sure, but from what I've seen she seems out of place again.

Blame Hollywood. They can't work with more than one A-list actress at a time. Back in the 2000s every single studio role was first offered to Angelina Jolie regardless of whether she was right for the part or not.  In the 1990s it was Julia Roberts. Now JLaw has the first dibs on every major female role.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HesAPooka said:

She's miscast in some films (I can't speak on Passengers because I haven't seen it) but I feel like she can still pull it off. However I do understand what you're talking about and its not her fault. She has the talent and if I got offered $20 million I wouldn't turn down roles either. She gets cast in films as a character that is supposed to be 10+ years older than her. But again I don't blame her. It's what she's offered. 

• Like 5

Just now, Nova said:

She's miscast in some films (I can't speak on Passengers because I haven't seen it) but I feel like she can still pull it off. However I do understand what you're talking about and its not her fault. She has the talent and if I got offered $20 million I wouldn't turn down roles either. She gets cast in films as a character that is supposed to be 10+ years older than her. But again I don't blame her. It's what she's offered. 

Tbf, this is largely David O. Russell's fault. 

• Like 1

Just now, redfirebird2008 said:

Takes two to tango. She has control over the roles she chooses. 

Myeah, but I'm still not gonna blame her for joining a project by the dude who helped win her an Oscar, especially since a bunch of handwaving from him along the lines of "don't worry about the age thing! This'll play great, trust me" is probably enough to convince almost anyone. 

Deadline logic is to say that a film's audience doesn't come out until Christmas Day and beyond but then talks about how they believe that Passengers needs to make $50M in its first 6 days to be successful. Huh. If it's audience doesn't come out until Christmas Day and beyond why bring up what it needs to make in its first 6 days. My head hurts every time I read a damn deadline article. 

Essentially, the core female audience that would go watch Passengers doesn’t come out until Christmas Day and beyond.

Essentially, box office analysts believe that Assassin’s Creed is front-loaded by the fanboy quotient.  In regards to Passengers, which cost a reported $110M, I’m told that should the movie gross $45M-$50M in its first six days that should be fine, but anything under that would be tough sledding.

• Like 1

Sing looks like hot garbage. Every time I see the trailer it looks worse. Though, yeah, it's probably going to play well.

On the ride back from Moana today, my mom said she wanted to see Sing.

Me: I do not want to see Sing at all.

Mom: Why not?

Me: Because Illumination doesn't make good movies.

Mom: That's because you're a connoisseur.

Of course three times since then I've had to correct her on things because she couldn't remember the difference between Rock Dog and Sing. Generic talking animal films about music? Just shuffle them up and it doesn't matter.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, babz06 said:

It's not like there are great roles out there for women, especially young females, they mostly play girlfriends and wives. Even Lawrence has to play second fiddle to Pratt. I blame hollywood.

There are a lot of great roles for women but for the most part they're outside the studio system. The last couple of years have been a boon to women's roles. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

This, pretty much. Most of her roles since Silver Linings Playbook feel like they were written for someone at least 10 years older.

And it doesn't help that JLaw has like a baby face. To me at least. She doesn't look like someone who could be 36 or 40 years old whereas there are some actresses that are around her age who can pull off the older actress look. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, TLK said:

Blame Hollywood. They can't work with more than one A-list actress at a time. Back in the 2000s every single studio role was first offered to Angelina Jolie regardless of whether she was right for the part or not.  In the 1990s it was Julia Roberts. Now JLaw has the first dibs on every major female role.

Now that you say this...who was the to-go box office starlet in the 80s? Jane Fonda? Barbra? Goldie?