FlashMaster659

Tues #s (Asgard pg 136) R1 22.4 Sing 17.7 Pass 6 Moan 4.6 Ass 3.6 WH 3.4 Fen 3.1 LLL 2.6

January and February are two of the best months when you're living overseas. From October to December almost none of those platform-release prestige/indie pics get released around here so you just have to hope the blockbusters are any good and there's an occasional Social Network among the typical middle-brow wide release dramas for adults. In the next two months however we're getting La La Land, Silence, The Red Turtle, Paterson, Jackie, Moonlight, and Toni Erdmann, and that's in addition to actual 2017 releases like Lego Batman and A Cure of Wellness. Gonna be good.

• Like 13

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

It's acceptable. The reviews are mediocre so expecting it to do more than OK in limited release would've been expecting too much. It's worth mentioning that The Lovely Bones tanked in limited release but did well enough in wide release after the marketing was retooled after the movie bit the dust as an awards player.

Reviews aren't SO bad.

The average rating is 5.7/10.

2 minutes ago, efialtes76 said:

Reviews aren't SO bad.

The average rating is 5.7/10.

They're still mediocre overall though and at this time of year, when you're competing against movies that will actually figure into the Oscar race, it doesn't help. I still think it'll do OK in wide release though, this and Patriots Day were never gonna set the world on fire in limited release (even though the latter's done pretty well so far).

2 minutes ago, narniadis said:

Yeah, all really depends on what they decide to report. Should be around 960k. 

Great start IMO and it will be a 100m film in wide release I think. 

Just like (BO.com) did with Sing, they have underestimated Hidden Figures. They predicted only $10M OW! It did way better than Selma in limited release!!!!!!

Edited by BenedictL11
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, BenedictL11 said:

Just like (BO.com) did with Sing, they have underestimated Hidden Figures. They predicted only $10M OW! It did way better than Selma in limited release!!!!!!

Yeah BO.com has had several predicts since fall that I have just scratched my head at. And then they double down on things instead of reevaluating. Crazy

7 minutes ago, BenedictL11 said:

yeah Selma opened to 322k on Christmas with 19 theatres so about 17k PTA. 38 k with 26 is really good. 

Edited by ban1o

Just to make clear how incredibly huge that number for Hidden Figures is:

The Revenant had a 43k- PSA last year on only 4 screens.

HF scored 38k on 26 screens. 

Also good news for Silence, then. 

It won't do anything near Reventant in its wider release, but that's a very nice rebound after the muted opening days.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Poseidon said:

Just to make clear how incredibly huge that number for Hidden Figures is:

The Revenant had a 43k- PSA last year on only 4 screens.

HF scored 38k on 26 screens. 

Also good news for Silence, then. 

It won't do anything near Reventant in its wider release, but that's a very nice rebound after the muted opening days.

Hidden Figures is this year's crowd-pleasing mainstream Best Picture nominee. It'll be nice to have another one of the Big 6 studios represented other than Paramount since the rest are looking to sit on the sidelines in favor of newer indie studios and a mini-major (Lionsgate).

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Nova said:

Aren't these the same people that thought they could boycott Hamilton the Musical? They really believe they can control everything, don't they. 

As if they were even the audience for Hamilton.

It's like me saying I'm boycotting Vegemite which I wouldn't eat even if it was free.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The first two months of 2017 look bleak. Split and The Lego Batman Movie are the only movies I actually care to see. March looks to make up for it, though.

Monster Trucks is opening on the 13th which should be one of the most exciting opening weekends of all time

• Like 2

All the people I've talked to about upcoming movies have talked about how much they want to see Hidden Figures when it goes wide.  They didn't know the title of the movie, but said, "Hey, I really want to see that film with the three women who worked for NASA."  They said the trailers really resonated with them.  Even kids in my school want to see that film. 

• Like 2