That One Girl

Film Piracy (opinions and box office effect)

I agree it's not a black and white issue. There are always shades of grey. But I don't think one can deny it's (in the vast majority of cases) morally wrong. Doesn't make you a terrible person if you do it, but it's important to at least acknowledge what you're doing is hurting the industry.

• Like 6

16 hours ago, AndyLL said:

Did that work in the music industry?

Now that there are a billion ways to cheaply stream music or buy individual tracks has music piracy decreased?

Yes it did work, as evidenced by the massive success of Spotify. People will subscribe to these services if they find it easier than piracy.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, AndyLL said:

Did that work in the music industry?

Now that there are a billion ways to cheaply stream music or buy individual tracks has music piracy decreased?

Looking at the study by the UK Intellectual Property Office, there was a noticeable drop in piracy as streaming services became more popular

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/546223/OCI-tracker-6th-wave-March-May-2016.pdf

The fact that data of file sharing as a whole going up might seem otherwise, but remember Spotify is still growing and isn't even available everywhere geographically.  It's possible for file sharing to be decreasing where streaming is popular, but growing in countries like China that don't have access to services like Spotify.

Streaming services are still picking up steam, and worldwide music piracy won't die from it overnight (in fact, I doubt it'll die from it at all, I just think it'll become less prevelant.  Which can be seen in the UK where Spotify is popular).  

You also have to reckon not all music is available on Spotify and streaming services.  I need to find the study, but it was done domestically and claimed that 80% of the people pirating music also received their music legally, and were pirating for specific cases.

Spotify helps for cases such as, liking a song but not wanting to pay for it, as you technically don't have to.  

Edited by La La Panda
  • Like 5

11 minutes ago, Treecraft said:

Yes it did work, as evidenced by the massive success of Spotify. People will subscribe to these services if they find it easier than piracy.

Tbh, even if I didn't have an ethical dilemma over pirating music/movies (which a lot of people don't), I'd still use Spotify over pirating.  It's cheap, much more convenient, no risk of viruses, and my music library through Spotify is larger than it could ever be through pirating (as there's only so much space I have available for downloading).

And that's the type of thinking you have to use to beat pirating.  Offer something better, which Spotify has done for a lot of people

• Like 2

I can't stand piracy.

I think people who pirate films are very cheap.

They always seem to have the most to say about a film, despite never seeing it the way it was intended. 

If you can't afford a £9 cinema ticket, times must be tough. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, La La Panda said:

Tbh, even if I didn't have an ethical dilemma over pirating music/movies (which a lot of people don't), I'd still use Spotify over pirating.  It's cheap, much more convenient, no risk of viruses, and my music library through Spotify is larger than it could ever be through pirating (as there's only so much space I have available for downloading).

And that's the type of thinking you have to use to beat pirating.  Offer something better, which Spotify has done for a lot of people

That's ultimately what piracy comes down to, for the most part - ease of use. If you make Netflix or Spotify or w/E easier to use then people will use it. If it's harder to pirate than to use Netflix, most people will choose Netflix, even if it means having to pay. 

There are some people who will always take everything for free no matter what, but those people aren't going to change. There's a very large number of people who can be swayed if given the right reasons.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Krissykins said:

I can't stand piracy.

I think people who pirate films are very cheap.

They always seem to have the most to say about a film, despite never seeing it the way it was intended. 

If you can't afford a £9 cinema ticket, times must be tough. 

So buying a DVD and watching a movie on a TV is wrong as a movie is intended for a big screen?

Edited by AJG

It seems people have ideals that seem nostalgic of evryone going to cinema as some collective tribal experience of joy and adventure a a society.

That era has passed...

Apart from the Avengers or Sw7 and uber hits.

Most people who watch a film watch it after it released from theaters.

Case in point Interstellar.

3 hours ago, Lordmandeep said:

It seems people have ideals that seem nostalgic of evryone going to cinema as some collective tribal experience of joy and adventure a a society.

That era has passed...

Apart from the Avengers or Sw7 and uber hits.

Most people who watch a film watch it after it released from theaters.

Case in point Interstellar.

Yep. Movies have to compete with a bunch of other forms of entertainment nowadays

On 12/31/2016 at 2:34 AM, Talkie said:

I imagine every person here looking like their avatars. That's good if they choose someone attractive (or cute and furry), not so much if the image is hideous. For instance, someone here had this guy as their avatar pic and I still imagine them looking like this:

green-lantern-hammond_1308358020.jpg

...eeewww that's never going away. :wacko:

On 12/31/2016 at 2:40 AM, Sam said:

@Chewy Such an honor. 

On 12/31/2016 at 3:47 AM, Talkie said:

@Chewy should go back to Hector. I hardly recognize him now. :(

I'm a man of the people

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bishop54 said:

I pirated Train to Busan today, pretty cool flick. I'm not sure how'd I'd be able to watch it otherwise.

It's on Google Play to rent for $3.99 (or 99 cents if you haven't used their holiday coupon yet).

Edited by elcaballero
  • Like 2

I have Amazon and Netflix. I do both the streaming and discs at home from Netflix. 

I would very much pay a monthly fee for a movie streaming service that would allow me to see new movies while they're still in theaters. Sure, there are movies that I would most definitely see in theaters, like RO, but there are a number of movies that either don't play near me or I just don't feel the need to see in theaters. 

• Like 1