WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 40): Hidden Figures 22.8M | Rogue One 22.1M | Sing 20.7M | Underworld 13.7M | La La Land 10.1M | Passengers 8.8M | A Monster Calls 2.1M

Holy shit, I looked over MBFGW's run, and it's unbelievable.  How the hell did a limited release feature that started in 108 theaters make 241M (352M adjusted).  I looked over the run, and it somehow kept increasing theaters over its first 4 months until it finally hit #2 at least.  Absolutely unbelievable.

• Like 12

3 hours ago, Finnick said:

DISNEY OWNS THE FIRST 5 WW MOVIES OF 2016, THIS WILL BE THE FIRST TIME & THE LAST TIME A STUDIO CAN MAKE SUCH A FEAT!

CONGRATULATIONS DISNEY & THANK YOU

Worldwide Domestic / % Overseas / %
1 Captain America: Civil War BV $1,153.3 $408.1 35.4% $745.2 64.6%
2 Finding Dory BV $1,027.9 $486.3 47.3% $541.6 52.7%
3 Zootopia BV $1,023.8 $341.3 33.3% $682.5 66.7%
4 The Jungle Book (2016) BV $966.6 $364.0 37.7% $602.5 62.3%
5 Rogue One: A Star Wars Story BV $914 $477.4 51.3% $437.1 48.7%

you were 3 hours early :)

now owns entire Top5 2016 global blockbuster list: , , , & . $5.1B.

Edited by terrestrial
  • Like 7

6 minutes ago, Lumos said:

What? DH2 made 960m overseas. And would be over 1 billion overseas adjusted for inflation. So FB retained around 60% of DH2 audience....not 75%. 

No, the equivalent figure is lower today due to exchange rate changes and the massive strengthening of the dollar compared to other currencies (this far outweighs inflation).

• Like 5

Just now, That One Guy said:

Holy shit, I looked over MBFGW's run, and it's unbelievable.  How the hell did a limited release feature that started in 108 theaters make 241M (352M adjusted).  I looked over the run, and it somehow kept increasing theaters over its first 4 months until it finally hit #2 at least.  Absolutely unbelievable.

One of the many reasons I am so very much against so early HV releases....

58 minutes ago, alisson23 said:

What assures you that DS would not have opened smaller and FB bigger? Well, I will not argue about an unfounded assumption.

I'm in the camp DS >FB (I liked both) but credit where credit is due. FB held better likely due to better WOM. Critics fanboy'd with DS. It was good but not THAT good. All Marvel stuff that's rote in other movies is rote here as well. 

But, anyway, is it me or FB is going to have higher OS than Rogue One?

• Like 4

Heck, think back to the early 80s. For you young 'uns, imagine how you're feeling about LA LA LAND's expansion -- checking every week to see if it's coming to your town (or nearby). Then rushing to see it when it does. That's what every large movie was like -- although by the time of JEDI releases were getting wide enough that it wasn't too difficult to find a theater. 

• Like 16

31 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Alt left is just as bad. They are the reason for the rise of alt right. Also, alt left is the reason for terrorism in Europe. They let them in. 

You should read up a lot, incl to which political party who belongs or belonged then (it started not recently).

And incl who was against for which reasons for looking e.g. in the '70 and later more into what happens within the groups of the newly arrived. 

Or even why in which country parts of the population have roots where. 

But: this is not the political sub-forum

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

Alt left is just as bad. They are the reason for the rise of alt right. Also, alt left is the reason for terrorism in Europe. They let them in. 

They let in millions of decent men, women and children who became productive members of society.

A few idiotic terrorists doesn't erase the millions of good people who improved their new countries.

There are plenty of studies that prove that immigrants help their new countries more than hurt them.

The pro-Brexit and pro-Trump pundits lied compulsively to scare average people and convince them that a small segment of the population who are recent immigrants were the source of all their problems. 

But lets ignore the scientists, the academics, the journalists, the intelligence agencies, the intellectuals, etc. All the people who do massive research for a living and believe an orange clown who fails any moderate scrutiny or fact checking cause his political incorrectness is so "refreshing". :dunce:

Edited by grey ghost
  • Like 11

Why does a movie starring/dealing with some kind of a minority always lead to political discussions? Why do people think that they always have to follow some kind of agenda? Isn't it possible that they just made e.g. Hidden Figures because it seemed like a story worth telling, regardless of the race or gender of the people involved? Them being black women is obviously an added positive, but it doesn't make the movie better or worse. But the fact that they are black women also doesn't mean that the filmmakers are anti-white or some BS like that. It's just a movie made for entertainment, nothing more.

• Like 14

Just now, miketheavenger said:

Why does a movie starring/dealing with some kind of a minority always lead to political discussions? Why do people think that they always have to follow some kind of agenda? Isn't it possible that they just made e.g. Hidden Figures because it seemed like a story worth telling, regardless of the race or gender of the people involved? Them being black women is obviously an added positive, but it doesn't make the movie better or worse. But the fact that they are black women also doesn't mean that the filmmakers are anti-white or some BS like that. It's just a movie made for entertainment, nothing more.

Because if someone who isn't a minority has no interest to watch a minority movie, there's always someone who lashes out at them. Nice for HF but I don't care for the story. Not gonna root against it but won't contribute to the boxoffice either because I don't relate and simply am not interested. I think that some posters think that everyone here is an American and has to care about American race politics and that's not the case. Sorry if that sounds harsh but I'm not an American, I don't care for American history and race relations, I don't clamor for more black or other PoC Hollywood movies (I'll see Black Panther cause Marvel but that's it). I'm not against them but I won't watch them cause their problems, culture, etc don't interest me and many times I can't understand half of slang they use in those movies to make them authentic and some shit. Say what you will about white movies but they are generic and as such understandable and relatable to everyone. Frozen is much more relatable and understandable than Hawaii thing in Moana. Like, good on you if you care but don't expect everyone to give a crap. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fancyarcher said:

It's nothing new. Black movies on IMDb are often downvoted. It's quite sad.

Im annoyed anyone in the audience or anywhere could call Hidden Figures a "black movie" (if they're being serious, I'm not calling you out for making another point). I mean it's a movie about American heroes and geniuses, three inspirational people. They're people first, not black people and not women lol. Just great people! It's a problem when people see a movie like this and are like "well dem dere colored folk sure done good for demselves 'specially for being the womings!" SMH. 

• Like 5

it feels like wackos are jumping down down peoples throats about PC culture and leftist propaganda and all that jazz every weekend thread these days. it used to be every once in a while but now discussions don't seem to get far without it. those type of toxic discussions have infected the internet all over tho. just the current needlessly hostile landscape

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Like 8

5 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Because if someone who isn't a minority has no interest to watch a minority movie, there's always someone who lashes out at them. Nice for HF but I don't care for the story. Not gonna root against it but won't contribute to the boxoffice either because I don't relate and simply am not interested. I think that some posters think that everyone here is an American and has to care about American race politics and that's not the case. Sorry if that sounds harsh but I'm not an American, I don't care for American history and race relations, I don't clamor for more black or other PoC Hollywood movies (I'll see Black Panther cause Marvel but that's it). I'm not against them but I won't watch them cause their problems, culture, etc don't interest me and many times I can't understand half of slang they use in those movies to make them authentic and some shit. Say what you will about white movies but they are generic and as such understandable and relatable to everyone. Frozen is much more relatable and understandable than Hawaii thing in Moana. Like, good on you if you care but don't expect everyone to give a crap. 

I actually agree with you in the sense that if someone doesn't care for a movie involving minorities doesn't make the person racist/homophobic etc. I agree with that. But I haven't seen people here actually saying this.

edit: Sorry about further derailing the thread, mods. I will stay out of this political conversation now.

Edited by miketheavenger
  • Like 4

Valonquar is now explicitly referring to minority movies as something that don't interest him.  

Unless there is some translation issue, that is direct bigotry. 

HF has clear, direct portrayals of POC being treated terribly. If that makes it a "minority" movie, that's a scary way to define things. 

• Like 8

15 minutes ago, miketheavenger said:

That still doesn't excuse the Wayans Brothers

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I'm in the camp DS >FB (I liked both) but credit where credit is due. FB held better likely due to better WOM. Critics fanboy'd with DS. It was good but not THAT good. All Marvel stuff that's rote in other movies is rote here as well. 

But, anyway, is it me or FB is going to have higher OS than Rogue One?

I agree with you. I found DS a ok movie. I liked, but it could have been muuuuch better.

Yeah! FB is going to have higher OS than Rogue One!!

• Like 1