WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 40): Hidden Figures 22.8M | Rogue One 22.1M | Sing 20.7M | Underworld 13.7M | La La Land 10.1M | Passengers 8.8M | A Monster Calls 2.1M

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

I just saw Silence and at least half a dozen people walked out during the movie. I agree with @CoolioD1 that even if it gets a bunch of noms on Thursday, audiences won't latch on to it.

Well, yeah, because it manages to out-bore even Manchester. By far, actually. As was pointed out there IS some funny dialogue in Manchester, in parts, especially in the first 20 minutes I had hopes for the movie frankly. I thought maybe it's NOT going to be the pretentious, boring piece of crap that it sounds like. I was wrong, of course, but at least there were a few moments at the start that weren't boring. That can't be said of Silence, which was one of the most anti-cinematic movies I've ever seen. My girlfriend, my dad, and I made it through half the movie in the end before we turned it off. No way we were going to make it through almost 3 hours of that much boredom. I would have walked out of the theater too, probably even sooner frankly. That is one of those movies my friend used to joke is "nobody's favorite." With 7 billion people in the world I imagine almost every movie has someone who picks it as a favorite. I honestly cannot imagine Silence being that movie even for one person in 7 billion. Hell, I can't imagine anyone liking it at all, but that's just me. 

For fun here is a great little sample of audience reviews on RT:

"Probably the most boring pointless film in history. we walked out halfway through couldn't take anymore."

"Sooo boring, just when I thought I couldn't care any less about religion I suffer this 2 and a half hour snooze fest."

"DREADFULLY boring! Was really looking forward to this, but FOUR of us ended up walking out halfway through! Never done that before!"

"What a boring movie. Far too long and went only to see it as a Liam Neeson fan. Must have shot his scenes in a day. One big yawn."

"Utterly self-indulgent slog full of hammy White Savior imagery without even the semblance of an engaging story. ... perhaps the most painful cinematic experience I've ever had the misfortune to sit through."

"A self-indulgent test of patience to the audience. Three long, boring, monotonous hours of a movie that tells the story of the last Jesuit priests in medieval Japan."

"25 years in the making... more like 25 years in the watching... like watching paint dry in a rain storm!"

"very long and boring fell asleep i must admit the acting was great but this movie was 3 hours long no action mostly talking almost everyone around fell asleep and people started to walk out."

"Did not enjoy a single minute of this movie, stopped watching it."

I agree fully, Silence may be one of the worst movies ever made. It's certainly the most boring. I have a newfound appreciation for both Boyhood and Manchester, they were just normal run-of-the-mill boring movies about nothing happening. Silence was like the Michael Jordan of boredom, completely out-boring everything in its path and going down as one for the ages. Should be prescribed for anyone with insomnia. Instant cure.

Edited by JonathanLB

My ex girlfriend texted me right when I got off work and asked if she would like her to pick me up (it's snowing pretty bad here so I didn't drive to work). It was pretty random so I asked what was up and she said her family is watching La La Land and then the golden globes. But my parents are stupid and said if I'm not at the theatre when they come to pick me up they're taking my Cast Card away for a month. No idea why they're in such a bad mood :(

• Like 7

54 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

Well, yeah, because it manages to out-bore even Manchester. By far, actually. As was pointed out there IS some funny dialogue in Manchester, in parts, especially in the first 20 minutes I had hopes for the movie frankly. I thought maybe it's NOT going to be the pretentious, boring piece of crap that it sounds like. I was wrong, of course, but at least there were a few moments at the start that weren't boring. That can't be said of Silence, which was one of the most anti-cinematic movies I've ever seen. My girlfriend, my dad, and I made it through half the movie in the end before we turned it off. No way we were going to make it through almost 3 hours of that much boredom. I would have walked out of the theater too, probably even sooner frankly. That is one of those movies my friend used to joke is "nobody's favorite." With 7 billion people in the world I imagine almost every movie has someone who picks it as a favorite. I honestly cannot imagine Silence being that movie even for one person in 7 billion. Hell, I can't imagine anyone liking it at all, but that's just me. 

For fun here is a great little sample of audience reviews on RT:

"Probably the most boring pointless film in history. we walked out halfway through couldn't take anymore."

"Sooo boring, just when I thought I couldn't care any less about religion I suffer this 2 and a half hour snooze fest."

"DREADFULLY boring! Was really looking forward to this, but FOUR of us ended up walking out halfway through! Never done that before!"

"What a boring movie. Far too long and went only to see it as a Liam Neeson fan. Must have shot his scenes in a day. One big yawn."

"Utterly self-indulgent slog full of hammy White Savior imagery without even the semblance of an engaging story. ... perhaps the most painful cinematic experience I've ever had the misfortune to sit through."

"A self-indulgent test of patience to the audience. Three long, boring, monotonous hours of a movie that tells the story of the last Jesuit priests in medieval Japan."

"25 years in the making... more like 25 years in the watching... like watching paint dry in a rain storm!"

"very long and boring fell asleep i must admit the acting was great but this movie was 3 hours long no action mostly talking almost everyone around fell asleep and people started to walk out."

"Did not enjoy a single minute of this movie, stopped watching it."

I agree fully, Silence may be one of the worst movies ever made. It's certainly the most boring. I have a newfound appreciation for both Boyhood and Manchester, they were just normal run-of-the-mill boring movies about nothing happening. Silence was like the Michael Jordan of boredom, completely out-boring everything in its path and going down as one for the ages. Should be prescribed for anyone with insomnia. Instant cure.

Lol.  Of course.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DAJK said:

My ex girlfriend texted me right when I got off work and asked if she would like her to pick me up (it's snowing pretty bad here so I didn't drive to work). It was pretty random so I asked what was up and she said her family is watching La La Land and then the golden globes. But my parents are stupid and said if I'm not at the theatre when they come to pick me up they're taking my Cast Card away for a month. No idea why they're in such a bad mood :(

Would your dad understand and change his stance if you told him he was cockblocking you?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Doctor RTH gone Rouge said:

HF will take #1 spot

Sun looking

HF 6.4, R1/Sing 6.3,UBW 3.6,LLL 2.9

Assuming the F/Sa estimates don't change...

R1 would be about even with the estimate.

Sing is about 900k higher.

HF about 1.1m higher

UBW 600k higher.

LLL 200k higher.

So the weekend would be about

1. HF 22.9

2. R1 21.9

3. Sing 20.4

4. UBW 13.7

5. LLL 10.3

• Like 10

Curious about the press / social media reaction about HF overtaking SW R1 = especially certain ... biased people / outlets campaigning against SW R1 for imagined slight against Trump... Did they want/planed/... to reach HF to be #1? = Not seriously meant, imagine rather dry/dark humour.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, DAJK said:

Why don't you ask someone who maybe looks similar to you to be at the theater to fool your parents into thinking it's you

Spoiler

3xpKaF3.jpg

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, a2knet said:

Why don't you ask someone who maybe looks similar to you to be at the theater to fool your parents into thinking it's you

Reveal hidden contents

Maybe he'll do it:

Spoiler

11119782-1694294350646935.jpg

Close enough?

Edited by elcaballero
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, JonathanLB said:

Well I'm about to see the movie about terrorists blowing up a government building and stealing architectural plans for further terrorist acts. It's a sad movie with a lot of officers of peace dying in the name of security and safety for all but it has a mostly happy ending where all of the terrorists are killed or captured to await their sentencing. I think the producers just wanted to set it up for a sequel though because they introduce some other leader of the terrorist cell at the end who gets the plans for yet another incident of mass murder. Quite a plot twist there because I was so stoked watching Vader bring these murderous thugs to justice and then at the last they escape! I just hope in the next movie Darth Vader returns to stop the terrorists once and for all but I have a feeling with box office grosses as they were we're going to get more and more of these movies. 

You remind me of Zizek's interpretation and hoped-for remake of Star Wars. Darth Vader as a Christological figure, the Empire as progressive centralizers/modernizers and the Jedi/rebels as feudal/obscurantist reactionaries or even terrorists. In fact Rogue One goes further into providing fodder for this kind of interpretation as the rebels are clearly terrorist-like in their methods. Also, when Krannic tells Galen Erso that he can help bring order to the Galaxy and that order must start somewhere. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zO3YRlNLqCM

Here, Zizek on how Palpatine's transformation is complete in "awkward Hegelian" fashion: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIXVvkdwzUc

Darth Vader as the obscene, super-potent, Freudian Father:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ez9OIkw8O8A

• Like 1

1 hour ago, terrestrial said:

Curious about the press / social media reaction about HF overtaking SW R1 = especially certain ... biased people / outlets campaigning against SW R1 for imagined slight against Trump... Did they want/planed/... to reach HF to be #1? = Not seriously meant, imagine rather dry/dark humour.

They'd probably be pissed over a movie about women of color doing so well though.:ph34r:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DamienRoc said:

Assuming the F/Sa estimates don't change...

R1 would be about even with the estimate.

Sing is about 900k higher.

HF about 1.1m higher

UBW 600k higher.

LLL 200k higher.

So the weekend would be about

1. HF 22.9

2. R1 21.9

3. Sing 20.4

4. UBW 13.7

5. LLL 10.3

People finally getting out after the weather surely gave everything a slight spike. 

1 minute ago, titanic2187 said:

clearly, disney make an "accurate"  estimate to claim no.1 spot temporary as all others show significant increase over estimate but not for R1

Yeah, Sing and HF had estimated some pretty steep Sunday dropoffs.

It has been a bit of a meh weekend for all films. R1 and Sing crashed, LLL did just "okay", and I thought that HF would debut higher than that. But the best takeaway is that Sing will now get the record for highest grossing film to never be #1. I love when records get broken.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Celedhring said:

Yeah, Sing and HF had estimated some pretty steep Sunday dropoffs.

It has been a bit of a meh weekend for all films. R1 and Sing crashed, LLL did just "okay", and I thought that HF would debut higher than that. But the best takeaway is that Sing will now get the record for highest grossing film to never be #1. I love when records get broken.

Yeah, Sing can beat R1 next weekend but won't be able to top HF imo. If HF is ~2.5 ahead this weekend it could top Sing even with a worse hold.

• Like 2