WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 40): Hidden Figures 22.8M | Rogue One 22.1M | Sing 20.7M | Underworld 13.7M | La La Land 10.1M | Passengers 8.8M | A Monster Calls 2.1M

There's a difference between carefully controlled immigration and banning everyone because they're different. Immigration has made so many countries great and especially the United States! But of course in today's world I think borders should be carefully controlled because there are deserving people on these immigration lists who are doing things by the book. It shouldn't be a free for all running across borders. 

I feel like you cant ever just say logical or common sense things like "borders should be tight and immigration handled in an orderly fashion where everyone is background checked and approved" without either side going crazy. It's bizarre. 

I feel like the liberal ideal is no borders at all, just let everyone in, because diversity! 

Then the conservative ideal is ban all immigration from any non-white country and even then make sure mainly white people can come in and make America great again! 

Lol both sides.. just too much for me.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JonathanLB said:

There's a difference between carefully controlled immigration and banning everyone because they're different. Immigration has made so many countries great and especially the United States! But of course in today's world I think borders should be carefully controlled because there are deserving people on these immigration lists who are doing things by the book. It shouldn't be a free for all running across borders. 

I feel like you cant ever just say logical or common sense things like "borders should be tight and immigration handled in an orderly fashion where everyone is background checked and approved" without either side going crazy. It's bizarre. 

I feel like the liberal ideal is no borders at all, just let everyone in, because diversity! 

Then the conservative ideal is ban all immigration from any non-white country and even then make sure mainly white people can come in and make America great again! 

Lol both sides.. just too much for me.

the problem with two party system

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

Garbage. You can spin drops all sorts of ways but there's nothing pretty about those drops. I honestly thought Rogue One $30M and still thought a chance Sing could win the weekend. But I did the same thing with TFA.

Next time around I'm predicting a 60% drop for Episode VIII this time next year so I'm not bummed when it "only" falls 54%. This weekend and month in general is a pile of crap at the box office. Holidays end and nobody shows up anymore.

Yep. I realized I was looking at the wrong weekends lol

TFA dropped 53% the second weekend of Jan last year. So, yea, I would expect EP8 to be around the same. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

What if someone said you and millions of other innocent people should be deported simply because you had the same eye color or religion as a few terrorist?

Would that be fair?

No, it wouldn't. But I'm not talking about that.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Brainiac5 said:

A well deserved A-

See the inspirational movie about gaslighting your friends!  Right after the sci-fi movie about Stockholm Syndrome!  Then see a dull, dark, and dreary PG-13 action movie about assassins in the Spanish Inquisition!...

Wait, these are supposed to be our holiday feel-good movies?

• Like 1

Just now, junkshop36 said:

Yep. I realized I was looking at the wrong weekends lol

TFA dropped 53% the second weekend of Jan last year. So, yea, I would expect EP8 to be around the same. 

I just find it so weird tracking holiday movies where it seems like it's so much fun every day for two weeks... then it's not. Then it's like the box office is just kind of over.

Then again that's modern movies I guess anyway. By the end of two weeks they've made most of their money by far lol. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

See the inspirational movie about gaslighting your friends!  Right after the sci-fi movie about Stockholm Syndrome!  Then see a dull, dark, and dreary PG-13 action movie about assassins in the Spanish Inquisition!...

Wait, these are supposed to be our holiday feel-good movies?

Rogue One made me feel good!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JonathanLB said:

I just find it so weird tracking holiday movies where it seems like it's so much fun every day for two weeks... then it's not. Then it's like the box office is just kind of over.

Then again that's modern movies I guess anyway. By the end of two weeks they've made most of their money by far lol. 

True legs comes with true class.

3 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

They are not more relatable because they have white leads but because they created a generic "anyone can project themselves into" type of characters. In short, they are neutral. There's nothing culturally specific about most of those big blockbuster heroes. They all have generic Anglo-Irish names, are vaguely Christian but rarely explicitly, they all speak in a TV host accent (understandable to everyone though no locals anywhere speak like that), they don't have a culturally specific background, their personal woes are garden variety of "someone killed _____(loved one)" or "_____(loved one died, hero blames himself)". Will Smith is that type of a character in his biggest movies. He isn't white but he plays a typical "white" character. Neutral. Anyone can project themselves into the character. 

OTOH, movies that insist on some cultural specific that is incomprehensible to non-members of the culture poses a barrier. I'll give you an example. I watched some dance movie that happens in an African American college. I didn't understand what the rules were, what the whole thing was about. I think it was Stomp the Yard but can't be sure. There were some complicated rules that those who made the movie assumed the audience is familiar with so they didn't explain anything and I didn't know WTF was going on, who was winning and why. OTOH, I understood everything in Step Up even though I have no dance education. 

My point is, I've no problem with minority-headlined movies that are "neutral" or "generic" but can't follow stuff that's specific for the culture and clearly made for members of the said culture. 

I think there are plenty of non-white films that deal with universal concepts that deal with the human condition.

All humans have the same spectrum of emotions, we all face the same moral challenges from time to time and our hopes and dreams have plenty of overlap.

I understand if some things are lost in translation but I think it's short sighted to rule movies out based on culture or race.

You never know. You might discover something poignant or essential that's alien to your home customs and beliefs. ;)

• Like 9

7 minutes ago, elcaballero said:

I was looking up where Hidden Figures ranked among January openings and ended up on Texas Chainsaw 3D, with its back-to-back-to-back 75+% drops. Yeesh. 

Friday the 13th got it almost as bad.  It had an 80 PERCENT second weekend drop.  Yikes...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

I'm in the camp DS >FB (I liked both) but credit where credit is due. FB held better likely due to better WOM. Critics fanboy'd with DS. It was good but not THAT good. All Marvel stuff that's rote in other movies is rote here as well. 

But, anyway, is it me or FB is going to have higher OS than Rogue One?

Did it really hold much better, at least DOM?

FB's weekly take was  ... 110-54-23-14-8-8-7 ....

DS's weekly take was ... 109-53-28-16-9-6-3-1-1

Those look extremely similar.  Basically the same for weeks 1 and 2, then DS actually holds better in weeks 3 and 4 (thanks probably to a general increase in ticket sales because of Thanksgiving), and then they are again basically the same for week 5. FB doesn't have a clear hold advantage until we are at week 6, when DS drop from 9-6 while FB holds at 8-8, and then again in week 7, when DS drops from 6-3 while FB drops only slightly from 8-7.

But ... we're talking about FB gaining a hold edge only in week 6, which is after both films have clearly earned the vast majority of their DOM money so not many actual dollars are at stake, and (b) those two excellent holds for FB came during the two Christmas/New Years weeks, when again there is a bulge for all films that still have gas left in the tank, whereas DS's take was too low by then to really benefit from that.

As for OS, I thought it was clear all along that FB would easily beat DS there, because it had the Harry Potter lineage behind it.

Edited by SteveJaros
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

People obviously aren't going to go the movies as much (especially weekdays) when they're at work and school and not wanting a getaway from the house.

Add the weather as a factor (which happens a lot around this time of year) and the drops really aren't bad at all.

• Like 1