WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 40): Hidden Figures 22.8M | Rogue One 22.1M | Sing 20.7M | Underworld 13.7M | La La Land 10.1M | Passengers 8.8M | A Monster Calls 2.1M

17 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

I understand what you're saying in that America's space race and the struggle of women within NASA may not interest you but it's the WAY you said it, I think, that people take issue with.

When you make a movie into "that kind of movie" you're basically saying here, I'm putting this movie into this hole, and it's about "those people" and I'm not one of those people so I won't understand or like it. Well, im not a black woman, but I am a human being and the inspirational story of people achieving greatness amidst adversity is universal. The situations may change but the core story doesn't. I don't live in Rome and I don't live thousands of years ago but I felt human emotions for Maximus in Gladiator and wanted him to get revenge for his family. It's not like I said well I'm not Italian or European so I really can't relate to him. Yeah those crazy Europeans, always getting all bent out of shape when their family is murdered. They can show us those stories in America all they want but don't be surprised when we don't "get it." Hell most of us would breathe a sigh of relief if our families were wiped out in brutal fashion! Lol see what I am saying? People are just saying you're making it into that this movie doesn't have anything for people who aren't black American women but that's simply not true.

I apologize for the way. When I look back, I can see why there's an issue with it. 

I think that movies such as HF would be more acceptable if they didn't come with media drumming how important it is to have a movie like that. It's Ghostbusters all over again except that HF actually looks good while Ghostbusters never did. To me, all this importance talk is a huge turn-off. I feel like they are telling people what they should see instead of letting them come to that conclusion themselves. It's like those awful Avengers cast adds telling people how they should vote. No wonder that backfired. Less pressure, less threats and things will work themselves out.

• Like 1

That's true, I mean ultimately movies are a luxury and not everyone can afford to go see every movie. It doesn't make you a bad person and it's not a political duty or something to see a movie of any kind. 

I will say as one of the notorious haters of awards movies here (hate most of them), I don't say a movie is good or great just because it promotes some agenda or another or because I find it important. I just really enjoyed Hidden Figures, that's all. I actually thought it may be boring and didn't have that much interest in seeing it, but I'm glad I gave it a chance because I really enjoyed it!

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

Manchester by the Sea is definitely not a happy movie, though there was more humor than I thought there would be.

Yes, it's very funny actually. But that's Kenneth Lonergan's beautifully light and balanced touch.

2 minutes ago, LateReg said:

Yes, it's very funny actually. But that's Kenneth Lonergan's beautifully light and balanced touch.

I used a similar light and balanced touch to

break my DVD screener in two immediately after watching that "movie." 

I mean because the studio told me to destroy it after viewing, of course. I'm surprised they didn't include a warning like "DO NOT OPERATE HEAVY MACHINERY WHILE WATCHING THIS MOVIE!" That would have probably been wise.

8 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

That's true, I mean ultimately movies are a luxury and not everyone can afford to go see every movie. It doesn't make you a bad person and it's not a political duty or something to see a movie of any kind. 

I will say as one of the notorious haters of awards movies here (hate most of them), I don't say a movie is good or great just because it promotes some agenda or another or because I find it important. I just really enjoyed Hidden Figures, that's all. I actually thought it may be boring and didn't have that much interest in seeing it, but I'm glad I gave it a chance because I really enjoyed it!

All of this.

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, LateReg said:

I think it was good that Damon missed out on starring in the movie like he planned to back in the day. Casey Affleck is much better at being the hollowed-out sad sack than Damon would have been.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

I'm glad at least Casey's character learned from his mistakes and stopped drinking and getting in bar fig... err sorry never mind. I forgot there wasn't any real character development in the movie. :P 

There's quite a bit of character development, it's just not the service level, easy to portray development.  It's realistic.  Some things don't change, Lee can never be at peace in Manchester (or in Boston for that matter).  But you see in a few of the boat scenes, and his moments with Hedges' character that he was able to slowly find bits of happiness with his nephew.  The grief, guilt, remorse, etc. from that sort of event, it's not something a person is really going to overcome over the course of a movie.  At least not when the film is firmly grounded in reality.

Casey Affleck also has character development in an atypical way of seeing where he was before the tragedy, seeing how it affected him, and seeing how (subtly) his emotional state had changed over that time.  Just because a movie doesn't spell out the character development for you, doesn't mean it's not there.  In fact, good character development and character arcs should seem like natural progressions, and not obviously bang them over your head.  The characterization in Manchester is one of the strongest aspects of the movie, as it manages to craft real people who don't feel like characters at all.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, terrestrial said:

I am aware. But those kind of runs we will probably never see again (length in cinema....)

Which illustrates my point.

1 minute ago, baumer said:

Which illustrates my point.

I think your kind/style of short sentences is a bit too difficult to understand in the intended way to me, rather often I seem to pick the wrong version. Not meant as the fault being on your side, its my English that is lacking.