DAJK

Weekend Thread...Friday numbers (Deadline) HF: 6M| BBM: 5M| PD: 4.2| LLL: 3.97 (PG 18) - NOT THE PIRACY THREAD (OR THE POLITICS THREAD)

I'm really hoping that Rogue One overachieves during the 3-day weekend and somehow manages to hit $500M domestic on Sunday, rather than Monday. I mean, it doesn't really matter. It would just be neat to see it tie Avatar for quickest to $500M domestic (32 days).

It's a slow weekend, otherwise, for everything not named Hidden Figures or La La Land. I guess that was to be expected, though, since all the other offerings look pretty bad. Compared to everything else, The Bye Bye Man is actually looking pretty good. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, TimmyRiggins said:

Hopefully Live By Night does better overseas. I guess the general audience really doesn't give much of a f*** about old school gangster movies. Hoping for the inevitable longer cut on BD/UHD

Russia results are not encouraging. Half of Collateral Beauty opening day

Just now, dudalb said:

It gets even better;Back in November Paramount announced it was expecting to take a 100 Million plus write off on the film......

I know about that, but at this rate they might lose even more.:rofl:

26 minutes ago, TimmyRiggins said:

Hopefully Live By Night does better overseas. I guess the general audience really doesn't give much of a f*** about old school gangster movies. Hoping for the inevitable longer cut on BD/UHD

I am a fan of old school Gangster movies, but everything I have read or seen indicates that Live By Night is a lousy movie. Off course if you believe that Ben Affleck is a God who can Do No Wrong.....

I think the bad critical reception killed this movies chances. A period film needs good reviews;Live By Night did not get them.

2 minutes ago, cookie said:

I know about that, but at this rate they might lose even more.:rofl:

Agreed, but still, for a studio to announce two months in advance they have a huge turkey on their hands is something I have never seen before. Behind close doors I am sure studios often write off movies months in advance,(to avoid throwing more money down the rathole with marketing a film that has little chance of succeeding no matter what) but to say so in public........that is unusual.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, dudalb said:

It gets even better;Back in November Paramount announced it was expecting to take a 100 Million plus write off on the film......

Why did Paramount dump this is January? They should have put it in July/August atleast it would have had a chance to make more with summer weekdays. 

Does Deadline hate math?! If Rogue One made $4M Friday (still feeling it'll be more like $3.5-3.6), it's not making $17M for the weekend. Historically Monday is near Friday so what is that 4-4.5-4.5-4?! Lol!! Yeah ok it'll increase 12% on Saturday not the usual 50-100%. Riiiight.

If Rogue One makes $4M Friday its clearing $20M this weekend for sure (4 day).

19 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I am a fan of old school Gangster movies, but everything I have read or seen indicates that Live By Night is a lousy movie. Off course if you believe that Ben Affleck is a God who can Do No Wrong.....

I think the bad critical reception killed this movies chances. A period film needs good reviews;Live By Night did not get them.

I don't look at RT anymore but 48 on Meta seems fine to me, a lot of mixed reviews. The main complaint that comes back is that the film is too short and tries to do too much by stuffing a lot of subplots that would need more time onscreen. Also read good stuff from people I trust on Twitter. Why don't we watch the film ourselves though, that's the only right way to do it. 

• Like 1