grim22

Black Adam | October 21, 2022 | New Line | Don't worry, it's a hit. Dwayne Johnson says so!

19 minutes ago, El Gato said:

When will we finally get another big DCEU hit?! It’s been way too long! 

Shazam was a modest hit due to its low budget, Birds of Prey flopped, TSS flopped and now Black Adam is a flop. 

Im not counting WW84 and TSS for obvious reasons, but if I were WB I’d stop green lighting lesser known characters, even if the budget is lower, until the universe is back on track and able to support said characters like the MCU. 

Still excited for Blue Beetle but Black Adam’s current performance has me nervous! 

Feels like there was a movie released earlier this year which made money and became one of WB's biggest movies domestically.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Disbelief 1

Just now, grim22 said:

Feels like there was a movie released earlier this year which made money and became one of WB's biggest movies domestically.

I assume they’re speaking about movies connected to the “dcu” but I don’t see why that matters but that’s just me. 

26 minutes ago, El Gato said:

When will we finally get another big DCEU hit?! It’s been way too long! 

4 minutes ago, cax16 said:
6 minutes ago, grim22 said:

I assume they’re speaking about movies connected to the “dcu” but I don’t see why that matters but that’s just me. 

I think that's a safe presumption.

Unless grim is hinting at something! :o

(i kid, i kid)

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

Marvel achieved it after 10 years of buildup. One company doing it doesn’t mean the other can do it. 

I think it would have been very possible... I'm talking if the whole thing had been set up differently: 5-10 year buildup, globally accepted versions of the Big 3/5 -- then I have two words for you: James Cameron directs Justice League.  $2billion easy.  Even George Miller's attempt would have likely outgrossed the 2017 movie.  But this kind of monumental blockbuster for this property will never happen now...or ever again.  Any future Justice League movie will be tainted by always being mentioned in reference to Warner Bros. previous debacle. 

And it's too bad. 

Edited by Macleod

25 minutes ago, Macleod said:

I think it would have been very possible... I'm talking if the whole thing had been set up differently: 5-10 year buildup, globally accepted versions of the Big 3/5 -- then I have two words for you: James Cameron directs Justice League.  $2billion easy.  Even George Miller's attempt would have likely outgrossed the 2017 movie.  But this kind of monumental blockbuster for this property will never happen now...or ever again.  Any future Justice League movie will be tainted by always being mentioned in reference to Warner Bros. previous debacle. 

And it's too bad. 

Would it? It kind of seemed like it would’ve been a bit of a mess. 

What is funny is if MOS ($128m opening), BvS ($166m opening), and SS ($133m opening) had been better films...WB would have done it in 3 films. Opening weekends show the hype was there. I mean, if both MOS and BvS are good, BVS is a $200m opener. SS is probably $175m opening etc. Aquabro and Wonder Woman do even better than they did. And Justice League is like a huge $225m opener.  

By comparison, DC's phase 1 floor was just so much higher than Marvel's phase 1, but they totally squandered it. 

Edited by excel1
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, grim22 said:

I’m talking about the DCU films not the standalone ones. The Batman doing decent numbers does nothing for the shares cinematic universe because that character won’t be interacting with the others… same with Joker 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, excel1 said:

What is funny is if MOS ($128m opening), BvS ($166m opening), and SS ($133m opening) had been better films...WB would have done it in 3 films. Opening weekends show the hype was there. I mean, if both MOS and BvS are good, BVS is a $200m opener. SS is probably $175m opening etc. Aquabro and Wonder Woman do even better than they did. And Justice League is like a huge $225m opener.  

By comparison, DC's phase 1 floor was just so much higher than Marvel's phase 1, but they totally squandered it. 

Isn't a big part of that, that Marvel didn't have their "biggest" names? Namely Spidey and the X-Men. They basically built their film franchise on their Hal, Barry, etc.

11 hours ago, Macleod said:

Sure, a fanbase is there, but it's fair to say that Superman's "drawing power" now has to be consistently measured against his fractured feature film history (and yes, box office results relative to what was projected).  Even just in the past 20 years, two Superman reboots, each with wildly different complicated issues.  Perceptions of how a character is presented cloud audience perceptions about "likability" and future iterations.  But of course what matters in the end is simply how good the movies are -- and they haven't been -- at least not on a globally-universal level with the crowds they need to be.  Man of Steel (according to former Warner Bros. co-head Jeff Robinov) was projected to gross $1Billion.  BvS, had it been better quality/different tone, should have grossed $1.5 billion.  Justice League should have been a no-brainer for $2 billion.  Instead they all fumbled (with Justice League arguably fumbling *twice* in two different edits) and AQUAMAN and JOKER, of all things, gross $1 billion and become DC's most reliable/least-controversial star players!  Hilarious...  

I know, I know...not the DCU thread.  Will be interesting where and how BLACK ADAM shows up next...but I doubt it will be a direct sequel.  I would support mid-budget level spin-offs for Doctor Fate and Hawkman, but I think those are unlikely at the present stage, considering Zaslav seems to want to concentrate on the Big 3/5.  

The thing is I agree with this, and I think we can all agree the DCEU has underperformed due to a big streak of poorly received titles and a lack of long-term planning, but the will to paint it all as a black and white epic fail just feels too fanboyish for me. By the way some people talk about it you'd think Zaslav would be on his way to sell the rights lol.

2 hours ago, JustLurking said:

The thing is I agree with this, and I think we can all agree the DCEU has underperformed due to a big streak of poorly received titles and a lack of long-term planning, but the will to paint it all as a black and white epic fail just feels too fanboyish for me. By the way some people talk about it you'd think Zaslav would be on his way to sell the rights lol.

A franchise doesnt need to have all its movies to flop in order to fail. Its judged by its batting average. Most of the dceu mpvies are panned/mixed reviews and have flopped/underperformed. Thats a fact.

How many trilogies has dc managed to make in the past 20 years? Only one. Why is that? Why dont most of their openers don't produce sequels?

Edited by Jeight

On 11/7/2022 at 5:01 AM, WittyUsername said:

Marvel achieved it after 10 years of buildup. One company doing it doesn’t mean the other can do it. 

Indeed, it's a lightning-in-the-bottle event, plus with the right management, Feige is like the chosen one, he also had the aid of Bob Iger at the time when Iger sided with him and sidelined Perlmutter. Not to mention the other factors like the market growth rate, other rivals failed to capture the attention of young people. The odds were in Marvel's favor at the time when they just started to build the franchise. The general audience has already picked their favorite children of the superhero genre, I think now in their mind there are only Marvel/Spiderman and ...Batman (and those who are related to him). DC as a brand doesn't mean much to common folks.

Edited by honeycookiez

To be fair, I think the most important thing that helped the Marvel franchise succeed is the very fact that they already lost their A-list properties (Spiderman, Xmen, Fantastic Four) to other studios, which is why they had to work from the ground and created the kind of characters that modern audience wanted to see and could easily connect with. I bet that Marvel would be drunk on their high horse and make the same mistakes as DC/WB if they had their "A-list champions" at first.

• Like 1

In some positive news, this movie had a pretty good hold over the past weekend. At this rate, it might finish with over $400 million WW. I realize that’s not exactly great, but without China and Russia as part of the equation, it could be worse. They’ll just need to avoid overspending on movies like this in the future. 

Edited by WittyUsername
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, ChipDerby said:

I would really love to know the ACTUAL budget for the film. Or if this "rumored" $200 mil number is the production from when it began in 2007? until now.

I posted it on OW - it was $195M for the total production.  I'll have to find my link, but it should still be in the original weekend thread.