grim22

Minions: The Rise of Gru | July 1, 2022 | Illumination

21 minutes ago, Grebacio said:

Starts at Rotten Tomatoes with 75% All Critics (8 reviews, 5.8 avg Score), 80% Top Critics (5 reviews, 6 avg score)

Can the movie at least stay fresh?? Last movie was rotten but hugely successful as it was during the peak of Minion-mania. Now this need more solid review to fight fatigue. 

This number is incredible - there were almost no adults...

"However, Rise of Gru did attract a massive under-25 demographic at 89%. Even more impressive is how Universal made a brand that was unhip, hip again for the 13-17 crowd, who showed up at 34%. Alas, the power of TikTok. Scroll down for more detail."

https://deadline.com/2022/07/minions-rise-of-gru-box-office-1235055270/

6 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

This number is incredible - there were almost no adults...

"However, Rise of Gru did attract a massive under-25 demographic at 89%. Even more impressive is how Universal made a brand that was unhip, hip again for the 13-17 crowd, who showed up at 34%. Alas, the power of TikTok. Scroll down for more detail."

https://deadline.com/2022/07/minions-rise-of-gru-box-office-1235055270/

Yet, only 10 pages for 100m+ openers that helmed by youngster. It is proven, BOT members are old....

So, took the 7 folks (family and boyfriend) to Minions tonight.

Holy Christ, the teen dress up and arrival trend is not abating.  70% of my theater was dressed up teens and they were everywhere - in the lobby, the overstuffed bathrooms, coming out of other screenings, etc.  Someone asked me on the weekend thread how this can do, and I ask, how much can a movie that no one hates and makes you happy do - and then you get Top Gun Maverick.  But the follow on should be how much can that same movie make when folks 35+ won't watch it (even though they'd probably like it a lot, too).  I have no idea, but both my Cinemarks won't set their weekend yet, and I have a feeling it's b/c they may want to hold more Minions vs adding more Thor, but we'll see...if you ask me for a number today, I'll say over Thor 4 DOM, since they both are gonna play for the same season...

But on to the reviews - the boys liked it more than the girls, but everyone liked it.  For me, the best parts of the movie was having enough for the Minions to play off of and ABSOLUTELY embracing EVERYTHING fun about the era they set this in - it's like Minions and Lightyear made night and day choices, and here, it was totally the right call.  And this movie was short and sweet.  Not every joke landed, not every plot seemed like a perfect fit, but you leave heart warmed and happy, so win.  Here's the grades...

Me - B

Spouse - B+ (see boys loving this more - he LOVED the chosen villain)

College Age Girl - B-

Teen Girl - B

Teen Boyfriend - B

Tween Boy - A-

Youngest Boy - B+

Thus, 7 people and all satisfied.  Close to the Top Gun reviews, just with different grades depending on the gender and age:)...

EDIT TO ADD: And b/c there were so many complaints about the trend this weekend, I'll say all the teens at my screening were perfect, and while the bathrooms might not have been as clean, I don't attribute that to the teens, but the lack of staffing for the 1st Tuesday since Covid that was mobbed...

Edited by TwoMisfits

19 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

Minions sold  605K tickets in one day in france (5M dollars). This is the best first day ever for a Universal movie and the 17th best first day of all time. 

Coming for like 20M+ first weekend. This is insane. 

Week Forecast is 1.8mio admissions.

15M opening week.