CaptainJackSparrow

AD Astra | Sep 20 2019 | Sci Fi | Best movie of the year with a B- cinemascore? | Brad Pitt

2 minutes ago, DMan7 said:

All this talk in here and not a single trailer released for this thing?

I was wondering about that myself. usually you have trailers for your big Holidey releases iin theaters by September;nothing from Fox.

Everything points to Fox knowing it has a turkey on it's hands; the sudden abandonment of the limited Holiday release, which means Fox knows it had no chance in hell of getting any major award nominations, then moving the whole thing to a date against fairly heavy competition.

What pulling this.along with it's other big December relase "ALita" means that Fox has pretty much pulled out of the 2018 Holiday season as far as major relasese go;(The Deadpool 2 rerelease in not a major release);that is almost unheard of for a major studio not to have a big new release for the Holidays.

It is almost like Fox is closing up shop early, not even waiting for the Disney deal to become final.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

...the movie just got delayed.

But jfor one of i's big Christmas releases Fox should have had a trailer in theaters by now.

Sorry but everything points to Fox knowing it has a turkey on it's hands. Notice hey have thrown in the towel on any aware possiblitires...which they were aimng for with that limited Dec. Release to quality for the awards.

22 minutes ago, Neucentro said:

Indeed.

This is a more probable reason for the release date change.

Just really surprised the Fox has just given up on the 2018 Christmas Season.  That is unheard of for a major studio . And I so not consider the Deadpool 2 rerelease to be anywhere near a major holiday release.

42 minutes ago, dudalb said:

But jfor one of i's big Christmas releases Fox should have had a trailer in theaters by now.

Sorry but everything points to Fox knowing it has a turkey on it's hands. Notice hey have thrown in the towel on any aware possiblitires...which they were aimng for with that limited Dec. Release to quality for the awards.

It just got delayed. This means that it is no longer a big Christmas release.

7 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Just really surprised the Fox has just given up on the 2018 Christmas Season.  That is unheard of for a major studio . And I so not consider the Deadpool 2 rerelease to be anywhere near a major holiday release.

First since Universal 2011 Christmas season ?

Fox's last two 2018 releases are "Bohemian Rhapsody"( Nov 2) and   ="Widows"(Nov 16th) , after that zilch except for the "Deadpool 2" release. 

But,yeah, seems to the first time since 2011 a Major Studio  has not had at least on major new release in the Christmas season.

Or should I say, a Major studio soon to be a minor division of another studio....

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, ChipMunky said:

Honestly shocked this didn't move to the week after Alita.

I thought that would be the move that Fox would have made;that they did the opposite indicates  the film is having real problems.

That Fox has pretty much taken what they thought could be a Award contender out of the competiion  and put it in a slot where is will probably be forgotten by awards time next year is not a good sign.

AMused by how some people here seem unable to take off the rose colored glasses. For a film to be pulled from a prime spot is never a good sign.

Particularly when doing that means you have basically given up on the potentially most lucrative opening dates in the year.

https://thefilmstage.com/features/james-gray-on-ad-astra-cannes-woes-harvey-weinstein-and-the-only-way-cinema-can-be-reinvented/

When do you think it’ll be finished? Maybe Cannes?

I don’t know about that. They want it to be done by the release date, May 22nd. They want it earlier than that and I am really scared about that because originally they wanted January/late December release and I thought—and I was right—that there was no way we were gonna make that. You know usually when you see a science fiction movie there are a number of shots that don’t look very good. I did not want to be up against a release date and have stuff looking really bad. I’m hoping we can make May.

lol it's gonna get delayed again, isn't it?

• ...wtf 1