FlashMaster659

Mar 3-5 Weekend - Official Estimates - Logan 85.3m, Get Out 26.1m, Shack 16.1m, LEGO Bat 16.5, BIF 4.9m

12 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

We'd never have gotten Logan if it were so.

Ditto for Deadpool.

Some people don't understand the benefits of the X-Men being with Fox. I get that we all wanna see Wolverine w/the Avengers, but Fox is taking risks w/their franchise that Disney or WB wouldn't ever dare to try w/the MCU or DCEU. Well, WB almost did it w/Suicide Squad, but "almost" and "doing it" aren't the same.

If Fox continues this direction - which they might, w/Deadpool 2, X-Force and horror-esque New Mutants - they'll do totally fine. Now the Fantastic Four, on the other hand...

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 9

8 hours ago, BenedictL11 said:

Anybody want to take a guess how much Get Out's 2nd weekend is underestimated by?

I'd say probably around $1.2m.

Could be even bigger than that, as going up by $1.2 million would still be a notably bigger Sunday drop than what it managed last weekend, during opening weekend and against the Oscars. We'll see. 

32 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

We'd never have gotten Logan if it were so.

Probably. Anyways, I am not talking of quality but popularity.

21 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Ditto for Deadpool.

Some people don't understand the benefits of the X-Men being with Fox. I get that we all wanna see Wolverine w/the Avengers, but Fox is taking risks w/their franchise that Disney or WB wouldn't ever dare to try w/the MCU or DCEU. Well, WB almost did it w/Suicide Squad, but "almost" and "doing it" aren't the same.

If Fox continues this direction - which they might, w/Deadpool 2, X-Force and horror-esque New Mutants - they'll do totally fine. Now the Fantastic Four, on the other hand...

I loved most of the XMen universe movies and it's fine to see each studio with a particular SH franchise. A matter of tastes, but Deadpool is one of the most overrated SH movie ever. It's not that risky/original, and Disney also did a risky move with Guardians of the Galaxy.

• Like 1

I am confused as to how Deadpool wasnt risky. Is that why the movie wasn't Green lit for who knows how long, got a scrappy budget (for a super hero movie) and most folks on here predicted it to open to like $40M or so? The guy runs around in a red suit for the sole purpose of annoying the shit out of others and getting what he wants. There's a reason why Wolverine never got an R rating no matter how much Hugh asked. The studio who released these films considered them a risk. But eventually they went with the risk. In terms of going out the box....Fox is doing it. There are no ifs and or buts about it. Deadpool when it was green lit and then released was risky. The same thing goes for Logan. And the beauty of it all is that Deadpool and Logan are two completely different movies with two completely different purposes. And Fox....FOX....managed to create two R rated super hero movies in the span of a year that were good and extremely successful. Imagine that. 

I will give the folks at WB this....they're at least trying to be different. I mean in an ideal world a film like Logan is what they probably wanted to achieve but without the R rating aka a rehash of the Dark Knight. But for whatever reason it's just not clicking however they've got the audience for it all hence the box office success anyways. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, stripe said:

I loved most of the XMen universe movies and it's fine to see each studio with a particular SH franchise. A matter of tastes, but Deadpool is one of the most overrated SH movie ever. It's not that risky/original, and Disney also did a risky move with Guardians of the Galaxy.

Not questioning your opinion of it at all, nor that Disney doesn't take risks w/the MCU. Of course they do.

But the point is that the kind of risks that Fox is taking will never be seen in the MCU. You'll never get an R-rated bloody curse-filled violence festival from them, that's an assurance. Besides, it's true that there have been many R-rated superhero movies (most of them about either B/C-list at best or more obscure characters... sorta like Deadpool before this movie), but none of them had the mainstream distribution, marketing and spotlight that Deadpool got.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Not questioning your opinion of it at all, nor that Disney doesn't take risks w/the MCU. Of course they do.

But the point is that the kind of risks that Fox is taking will never be seen in the MCU. You'll never get an R-rated bloody curse-filled violence festival from them, that's an assurance. Besides, it's true that there have been many R-rated superhero movies (most of them about either B/C-list at best or more obscure characters... sorta like Deadpool before this movie), but none of them had the mainstream distribution, marketing and spotlight that Deadpool got.

It's always weird to hear Deadpool referred to as obscure. I know to the GA he is/was, but its near impossible to avoid him in comics. (Like Harley Quinn).

I'm glad Fox may go down this R route, as long as they keep making enjoyable movies. I also don't think MCU is less for not having R flicks filled with blood and curses. It's a nice balance. Now if only I could get a good Justice League movie I'd be happy.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

$24m

$8.7m

Get Out was once again underestimated by $2m+!!! Im so happy it had a super awesome hold!! It has a strong chance at $20m this weekend!!!!

Edited by BenedictL11

Logan's OW is impressive but I'm more impressed by GO's second weekend. Like it held THAT good AND it was going against another R-rated film that also happens to be a franchise film. 

Hot damn. 

• Like 1

With Get Out doing $28 million+ for its 2nd weekend, it could be at $120 million DOM by March 12th :o

It's on its way to $175-200 million DOM. I don't see Kong, Power Rangers or Ghost in the Shell taking the wind out of its sails. Other than B&TB, I wouldn't be shocked if it has sub-35% drops until Fate of the Furious. With spring break-fueled weekdays that would be enough for $180-190 million DOM.

• Like 5

Logan only fell 23% on Sunday. That word of mouth is gonna help it a lot.

I'm really pleased with original films these first few months. Hidden Figures, La La Land (doing great through the start of the year), Split, and now Get Out have all been big successes. HF and GO are proving to have some amazing legs.

• Like 3