DAJK

Weekend Estimates: Kong 61M, Logan 37.8M, Get Out 21M, Shack 10M, Lego Batman 7.8M

2 hours ago, AABATTERY said:

If I had to pick one, I'd say The Mummy for June and Valerian is def gonna flop in July.

1 hour ago, robertman2 said:

Valerian isn't going to flop. It's gonna bomb and bomb HARD

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

Valerian will be a catastrophic bomb.

ya know, fuck all of you :sadben: 

Also AA, just for this comment, I'm not watching Wilderpeople :).

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TimmyRiggins said:

I mean, there's only so much you can do with Logan pulling high 80's,  and BATB probably hitting 150's with crazy presales, WB should have opened it at another time. 

I dont think they could have forseen this. It was obviously going to be crowded, but 4-6 months ago I would have expected about 50-60 from Logan and 100-ish from BatB. I would have thought Kong hurt Logan more than the other way around... which in a way might be playing out a little still. But overall, I would not have put Kong in 3rd place among the three, and certainly not by such a big margin.

3 minutes ago, PPZVGOS said:

Really? Nothing personal, but I am just not too eager to see this lame remake make $400M in NA and over a Billion worldwide. Even though I like to see movies doing well, I'm a bit tired of Disney's gimmickry. 

Good for you. Doesn't change the fact it's about to roll through the box office like:

Image result for inception train gif

• Like 14

20 minutes ago, Bishop54 said:

$185M...big difference lol. This is a underwhelming opening considering the budget. It's going to die once BatB comes calling too. Tell your peeps at TK to start worrying about Kong vs Godzilla.

You do know they announced the writers room for GvsKong, right? The MonsterVerse hasn't slowed down at all(except waiting for Edwards etc), despite you being so against it for whatever reason.

I agree on a 185 budget   it needs every penny domestically. However, overseas will easily make it a global success

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, PPZVGOS said:

Really? Nothing personal, but I am just not too eager to see this lame remake make $400M in NA and over a Billion worldwide. Even though I like to see movies doing well, I'm a bit tired of Disney's gimmickry. 

Oh, so you want/can expect them to have more & more failures like Alice Through the Looking Glass? Nah.... ?

Some Disney films do huge numbers because they had/can have great reception. Zootopia, The Jungle Book & Finding Dory for example. Those films had things that made them large box office hits.

And to expect Beauty and the Beast to massively underperform or fail because of apathy or wishful thinking from some people......is bonkers!

19 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

It's no debate: BATB is winning next week.

tumblr_mnb87rsKgB1s5or7ko1_500.gif

Well, yeah, the presales rival Rogue One. It's kind of an obvious winner.

23 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Kong is gonna do 500M WW. It is a hit.

Is it getting a China release? Because it will clean the hell up there.

3 minutes ago, goldenstate5 said:

Well, yeah, the presales rival Rogue One. It's kind of an obvious winner.

Is it getting a China release? Because it will clean the hell up there.

Some users here think it'll make 30m+ opening day in China based on tracking. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, XO21 said:

You don't have to be a troll from the imdb boards to realize the numbers are really bad for a $180m production :wintf:

Guess who's acting like a imdb troll though

Someone with 80 posts trying to teach us their wisdom about movie budgets?

• Like 6

Late to the party much?

Ehh, either way, assuming DHD is right (and by that, I mean, something nobody's ever said), Kong is opening above most's expectations, and around mine (I called 50M+ myself). That pleases me. Now, does this mean it's out of the woods? Hell no. It'll end up at around 130M DOM, which ain't too great on a 195M production budget. However, I imagine that OS will have a remarkable performance, and it'll boost its numbers big time. Basically The Legend Of Tarzan on steroids (and possibly may end up on the green side).

Logan at around 35M 2nd weekend?... ehh. I mean, it's not AWFUL, better than The Wolverine's drop, and not shocking given how Kong and Logan's audiences overlapped, but far from spectacular to say the least. The X-Men frontloadedness is still a thing. Still, Logan is 200M DOM bound, and will probably beat The Wolverine WW as well, so there's that.

Get Out w/yet another insane hold. On its 3rd weekend and still at a 25% drop (and DHD always lowballs, so it's bound to be smaller), despite Logan and Kong being out there. If it continues to hold as strongly as this, I wouldn't put 200M out of the game. And if that happens, that would be a contender for most impressive box office feat of this entire decade.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, the128boy said:

I actually feel like 125 isn't an unreasonable expectation, even with the massive interest. Where do you check presale info? I just check movietickets trending, but its way hard to translate those numbers into anything solid imo.

Check the Buzz and Tracking thread

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Someone with 80 posts trying to teach us their wisdom about movie budgets?

No idea that post would get someone so butthurt. 

"Someone with 80 posts"

Embarassing:rofl:

Edited by XO21
  • Like 3

BATB isn't doing $400M. I do think it will open big and maybe edge past TJB because of that but it ain't getting that far. 

TJB had like 100% on RT at the same point and BATB had like 68%. It might end up rotten, and I have a feeling the public might agree when they finally see it.