franfar

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 | May 5, 2023 | The 9th most profitable film of 2023

1 hour ago, thajdikt said:

With them already screening the movie today I can´t fathom that they are not screening this at cinemacon as @Porthos suggested they should do.

Yeah, the main problem I have with the fan screenings is it's still a little too late as it'll come right along with social media and review buzz.  Ideally, Marvel should have done those in the middle of the week, say timed to CinemaCon.  As it is, it's just dying on the vine right now for lack of interest/buzz.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

Speaking of Shang-Chi, I think one problem with the Multiverse Saga has been that it’s way too reliant on sequels. The last movie we got that wasn’t a sequel was Eternals. It’s like they’re uncomfortable about branching out with other characters outside of Disney+. Shang-Chi isn’t my favorite, but it’s been one of the better received MCU installments of the Multiverse Saga, and it didn’t have fan service and nostalgia to fall back on like NWH did. 

Well the problem is that they have so many characters now that we are having to wait 4 or more years for sequels which is killing interest.  They should’ve had Shang Chi appear in some one else’s sequel. At rate we are going, it will be a 4 year gap between his movie and his next appearance which is horrible. Dr. Strange’s next sequel is looking at a 5 year gap or more from the last film. 

• Like 2

https://www.reddit.com/r/boxoffice/comments/12vlil2/guardians_of_the_galaxy_3_reviews_critics_reveal/jhc0c55/?context=3

Someone on r/boxoffice claims to have seen it:

"I’ve seen it. It’s dark. Very dark."

"I’m not a diehard Marvel fan. I work in the industry and was able to attend the Paris premiere. I’ve casually watched most of the MCU movies though. Compared to what they’ve been putting out lately I’d rate it one of the much better ones. But I also have the controversial opinions that I thought No Way Home, Wakanda Forever and Multiverse of Madness were each complete bores, but I enjoyed Love & Thunder.

I was expecting something light like the last two GG but that’s not what it is. I think people will like it? But don’t go into it expecting that feel good comedy tone of the first one. It’s a dark space opera."

Edited by TheDude391
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, TheDude391 said:

https://www.reddit.com/r/boxoffice/comments/12vlil2/guardians_of_the_galaxy_3_reviews_critics_reveal/jhc0c55/?context=3

"I’m not a diehard Marvel fan. I work in the industry and was able to attend the Paris premiere. I’ve casually watched most of the MCU movies though. Compared to what they’ve been putting out lately I’d rate it one of the much better ones. But I also have the controversial opinions that I thought No Way Home, Wakanda Forever and Multiverse of Madness were each complete bores, but I enjoyed Love & Thunder.

I was expecting something light like the last two GG but that’s not what it is. I think people will like it? But don’t go into it expecting that feel good comedy tone of the first one. It’s a dark space opera."

IF this is true...ummm...this isn't what Marvel has been selling in its marketing campaign. 

Again, IF this is true...it should make for some interesting audience reactions - maybe this is why they are doing the free screenings.  Get fans used to a tone not seen so far in the trilogy and not seen in the marketing...so, they don't get expectations going into the film out of whack...

The Guardians movies are my favourite MCU films, so it's great seeing these positive reactions - with the usual caveat that social media reactions don't generally mean a whole lot. Nonetheless, looking forward to this. The trailers are sitting in the right spot for me.

Peace,

Mike

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, TheDude391 said:

great news if true. People are getting tired of the non stop goofiness of some of these films. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

I mean, it's actually exactly what the trailers, especially Trailer 2, are selling. Piques my interest as a fan but maybe not great for box office if super heavy. Dark compared to stuff like Thor 4 and Ant-man 3 isn't really that hard to be though.

I remember when people said the ending of Infinity War would hurt the film with audiences. Obviously not. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, John Marston said:

I remember when people said the ending of Infinity War would hurt the film with audiences. Obviously not. 

People said the same thing with Endgame regarding Iron man and Natasha dying aswell. People had a full blown panic when that plot point got out that people will hate it