grim22

Dolittle | Jan 17 2020 | Universal | 16% RT | Winner of the Kids Choice Award!

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Eh, we've seen time and time again that all the starpower (and all the trailer views) in the world won't save a movie when it doesn't look particularly appealing.

Don't get wrong, I don't expect a great movie (or great reviews). Universal releasing a blockbuster family movie in January says it all. But it still looks like it will underperform my low expectations at the box office. Let's wait and see.

5 hours ago, MrGlass2 said:

It's weird that it seems to be selling so few tickets according to the Tracking thread, the trailer had a lot of views plus there is RDJ in his first post-MCU role.

What weird about people seeing a trailer,deciding the film does not look good, and decidieng not to spend 12 bucks on it?

• Haha 1

Just saw the early projections for this. Not good at all. Even if it comes in on the top of the projection scale....32 Million OW..it still  means big bomb for a film this expensive. I think the only question is how much will this film lose.

11 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Seems like there were press screenings yesterday. Had a film critic for a metacritic/RT publication mark it as watched on letterboxd. 

Yeah, it’s got one fresh review on RT now from some guy I never heard of who absolutely loved it. So maybe it won’t be a total waste of time.

It looks really bad, but unfortunately - as @dudalb has noted before - what's bringing it down even more is the date. This looks like a holiday movie to which kids and families might have been more forgiving. Or, if not a holiday movie maybe just a better time of year in general. It feels like at this point - mid January - it might be an easy pass for a lot of folks. If it looked like a better movie it would be a totally different story.

I could be way off though. I'm pretty sure Bad Boys is easily winning the weekend though, barring an insane hold for 1917.

Read some letterboxd reviews of this and it actually doesn't sound so bad. Sounds pretty generic but maybe reviews won't be as bad as expected? Seems like the budget was actually well spent because the production design, the costumes, and most of the CGI is actually really good. Pretty dumb that Universal is dumping this movie when this could just be harmless fun instead of a Cats like disaster.

Also Nanjiani doesn't say "no one told me there would be a dragon" in the film lol.

Edited by lorddemaxus

6 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Read some letterboxd reviews of this and it actually doesn't sound so bad. Sounds pretty generic but maybe reviews won't be as bad as expected? Seems like the budget was actually well spent because the production design, the costumes, and most of the CGI is actually really good. Pretty dumb that Universal is dumping this movie when this could just be harmless fun instead of a Cats like disaster.

Also Nanjiani doesn't say "no one told me there would be a dragon" in the film lol.

If you spend 175 Million on a movie, it had better be a lot better then "not so bad".

And if this film opens in the 25/30 million range, you will have some people acting like that is a great triumph.

Not for a 175 Million film it's not.

Whether or not a opening is good or not for a film is tied directly into it's budget.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, dudalb said:

And if this film opens in the 25/30 million range, you will have some people acting like that is a great triumph.

I feel that going over 30 would feel a great triump to some considering how negative the mood was about this for a while.

Just have to remind ourself that Tomorrowland made a 33m 3 days - 42.68 4 days memorial weekend start and was considered quite the disaster.