kayumanggi

A QUIET PLACE | 04.06.18 | Paramount | supernatural horror film

12 minutes ago, Claire of Themyscira said:

Huge walkups for it last night at my theater.

I kept selling tickets, and we had groups coming and coming.

It's definitely going to impress, doing more than even we anticipated.

And we believed it was going to do well, so if it passes that...breakout maybe?

Someone potentially suggested actually waiting to watch by yourself at home because you can't expect absolute silence watching a movie with a crowd that can potentially ruin that experience.

Needless to say, people are going out to smart horror.

Edited by Jay Beezy

11 hours ago, Deja23 said:

I think you should take the chance. My crowd had young kids and was fairly quiet through out. 

well that doesn't change anything :P  but yeah odds are I will still watch this in theaters.  

8 hours ago, filmlover said:

Yeah, I'm really excited to see this but also skeptical about seeing it with a packed audience. Might end up checking it out at one of the deader theaters in town.

I may do that.  Just pick a deader theater at a quiet time.

I think this movie will do well as I always did and sounds like the WOM will be really good for it too

This was fantastic. An awesome 90 minute thrill ride that feels inspired by classics like Jurassic Park with excellent performances (especially Emily Blunt and John Krasinski), real stakes and amazing sound design. It's a film that is strongly "show, don't tell" and relies a lot on visual story telling. Only Annihilation beats it this year for me. Platinum Dunes finally produced another good film that is actually far better than the trailers.

A PSA though: If you are going to see a movie called A Quiet Place, you should probably take some advice from the characters on screen and stay fucking quiet. I knew this film was going to be a nightmare to see with a crowd in 2018 (as a PG-13 attraction). And of course, Latin color commentary decided to sit a seat away from me. And in a movie that is 90% silent, his whispering or flat out talking nearly took me out of it multiple times. Like just because the characters aren't talking, doesn't mean you need to tell everyone else around you what you are seeing on screen every two minutes. Yes, we can all see that is a big house dude. Yes, we can all see that Emily Blunt is in the kitchen. I'm sure your girlfriend can too and doesn't need you to tell her. Think to yourself, instead of out fucking loud (especially during a film like this). I was seriously getting so annoyed man. I thought going to a Thursday night showing would have avoided all the teens but a lot of people in today's audiences still have the tendency to be super inconsiderate. Thankfully, outside of that one guy (who I had to be sitting very close to), the rest of the theater was mostly respectful and I didn't see a bunch of lit up screens or hear a lot of other talking.

Also beware food eaters. This is not the film to bring popcorn or noisy bags too. It will be heard across the entire theater. Seriously, every single crinkle. Recommend grabbing something beforehand or finish whatever you have during the trailers because once this starts, it's immediately silent and you will annoy the hell out of the rest of the audience.

I was already seeing tons of theater reports of rude audiences all over Twitter and Youtube last night. Your enjoyment of this film may rely on something you can't control and if you see it with inconsiderate shitheads, you will be taken right out of the immersion and the world that's built.

Good luck to those going to see this, this weekend and hope for an audience that actually stays quiet.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

7 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

This was fantastic. An awesome 90 minute thrill ride that feels inspired by classics like Jurassic Park with excellent performances (especially Emily Blunt and John Krasinski), real stakes and amazing sound design. It's a film that is strongly "show, don't tell" and relies a lot on visual story telling. Only Annihilation beats it this year for me. Platinum Dunes finally produced another good film that is actually far better than the trailers.

A PSA though: If you are going to see a movie called A Quiet Place, you should probably take some advice from the characters on screen and stay fucking quiet. I knew this film was going to be a nightmare to see with a crowd in 2018 (as a PG-13 attraction). And of course, Latin color commentary decided to sit a seat away from me. And in a movie that is 90% silent, his whispering or flat out talking nearly took me out of it multiple times. Like just because the characters aren't talking, doesn't mean you need to tell everyone else around you what you are seeing on screen every two minutes. Yes, we can all see that is a big house dude. Yes, we can all see that Emily Blunt is in the kitchen. I'm sure your girlfriend can too and doesn't need you to tell her. Think to yourself, instead of out fucking loud (especially during a film like this). I was seriously getting so annoyed man. I thought going to a Thursday night showing would have avoided all the teens but a lot of people in today's audiences still have the tendency to be super inconsiderate. Thankfully, outside of that one guy (who I had to be sitting very close to), the rest of the theater was mostly respectful and I didn't see a bunch of lit up screens or hear a lot of other talking.

Also beware food eaters. This is not the film to bring popcorn or noisy bags too. It will be heard across the entire theater. Seriously, every single crinkle. Recommend grabbing something beforehand or finish whatever you have during the trailers because once this starts, it's immediately silent and you will annoy the hell out of the rest of the audience.

I was already seeing tons of theater reports of rude audiences all over Twitter and Youtube last night. Your enjoyment of this film may rely on something you can't control and if you see it with inconsiderate shitheads, you will be taken right out of the immersion and the world that's built.

Good luck to those going to see this, this weekend and hope for an audience that actually stays quiet.

I'm really fucking nervous about seeing this. I know I'll flip immediately if someone isn't being quiet :kitschjob: 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, 75Live said:

Then I may have to skip this in the theaters. It Follows was ruined for me due to that and I had to watch it at home and while I liked it much better, it was still messed up since I knew what was coming 

I still may take a chance on this though 

Oh this one relies on it WAY more than It Follows. From the opening logos it is immediately silent with very little score and talking. Most of the dialogue is sign language. Sometimes it will go from being very loud for a few minutes to complete silence.

If you chance it, do not go when teens can go and go when not a lot of others are there. I bet there are going to be a ton of bad theater reports tonight.

I was dreading seeing this in theaters (if it ended up being good) right when I saw the trailer because I know how audiences can be. Once I found out it is a largely silent movie, I was even more worried.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, aabattery said:

I think people are overblowing how quiet your audience needs to be for this.

No they really aren't. You could hear every single person eating popcorn in the theater or making any noise and it's extremely distracting to what's going on because if you've seen it (which it sounds like you have), you know there is hardly any sound in many areas. Once that atmosphere is broken, it's hard to get back.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I'm really fucking nervous about seeing this. I know I'll flip immediately if someone isn't being quiet :kitschjob: 

Again good luck. Even at Double Toasted, Korey was commenting how the audience was at a certain theater. Commenting that they would never survive in this world.

Want to see theater reports for this, just search A Quiet Place theater on Twitter or go to one of the major Youtube reviews comments. You'll start to see all the pissed off people commenting not on the film (it's generally been praised) but the audience they saw it with.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

Again good luck. Even at Double Toasted, Korey was commenting how the audience was at a certain theater. Commenting that they would never survive in this world.

Want to see theater reports for this, just search A Quiet Place theater on Twitter or go to one of the major Youtube reviews comments. You'll start to see all the pissed off people commenting not on the film (it's generally been praised) but the audience they saw it with.

Yeah, I listened to their review, and Goodwin was saying that even Alamo Drafthouse is advising people not to get food during the movie.

• Like 2