Eevin

A Really Boring Weekend Thread | Weekend Estimates: F8 38.7M | Boss Baby 12.8M | Beauty and the Beast 10M | everything else bombing terribly

5 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Will be interesting if Mulan stays put or moves. 

April's become more interesting with The New Mutants now added. 

I very much doubt Disney moving any of their tent-poles, except maybe in the case of Avatar and if they wanted it for Star Wars maybe not even then.

Just now, TalismanRing said:

I very much doubt Disney moving any of their tent-poles, except maybe in the case of Avatar and if they wanted it for Star Wars maybe not even then.

I wouldn't be surprised if Dark Phoenix moves to Memorial Day 2019. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, davincicode1 said:

look how they treated "Mama"...no expansions, theater boosts nor dual releases etc.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=weekend&id=mama.htm

If Universal would do anything in their power to cut Mama leg short or any other movie they would simply remove it from theater, why would they ever do something like that. Not sure how special that Mama treatment is, pretty similar to the purge:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=weekend&id=purge.htm

Not that they have all the power on what theaters do, but I'm pretty sure they are optimizing profit the best they can, but with Get out having a Amazon Video/iTunes deal release may 9, it will end no matter what pretty soon.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, davincicode1 said:

look how they treated "Mama"...no expansions, theater boosts nor dual releases etc.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=weekend&id=mama.htm

That's the worst comparison I've heard in my life.  Mama had decent legs for a horror film (due to good WoM presumably) but there was zero reason it should have done a dual release/re-expansion.  It was a far cry from the smash hit of Get Out, and despite generally good reviews, it still wasn't as well received as GO was.  They're gonna keep GO in theaters for at least a month more, and will probably still be running through dollar theaters until June.  There's also no need for Get Out to get any certain benchmarks considering it's already a massive success.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Free Fire is cult status bound, I think. But yeah, A24's carelessness for box office really did it very few favors, considering this should've gotten a properly marketed wide release.

That would have been a bit careless for them to do that, say a small Liongates 20 million domestic release type with a movie like that.

A different distributor did is UK release, and the movie didn't work there at all either (and it was a very natural market for it), it opened low and had a terrible 85% second weekend drop, easy to see distributor not having faith in other market that open after that.

Cutting their loss like they did was not a bad option.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

That's the worst comparison I've heard in my life.  Mama had decent legs for a horror film (due to good WoM presumably) but there was zero reason it should have done a dual release/re-expansion.  It was a far cry from the smash hit of Get Out, and despite generally good reviews, it still wasn't as well received as GO was.  They're gonna keep GO in theaters for at least a month more, and will probably still be running through dollar theaters until June.  There's also no need for Get Out to get any certain benchmarks considering it's already a massive success.

I am not trying to dispute your claims, but a movie doesn't really need to have a great WoM in order to warrant theater boosts or to remain in theaters unnecessarily long.

Halloween is a great example of movie that overstayed its welcome (mind you, that movie remained in theaters much longer than "Mama" and "Purge" despite not making even HALF their gross). It just depends on studios and their priorities.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=weekend&id=halloween209.htm

Just now, davincicode1 said:

I am not trying to dispute your claims, but a movie doesn't really need to have a great WoM in order to warrant theater boosts or to remain in theaters unnecessarily long.

Halloween is a great example of movie that overstayed its welcome (mind you, that movie remained in theaters much longer than "Mama" and "Purge" despite not making even HALF their gross). It just depends on studios and their priorities.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=weekend&id=halloween209.htm

lol what'd you expect.  The movie is literally called Halloween.  The film's theatrical run was about to end before Halloween weekend came up (and did end a few weeks later), but then they re-expanded it to capitalize on the holiday.  Get Out is not going to stay in theaters until October.

3 hours ago, davincicode1 said:

it's slowly catching up but I feel like Universal will do anything in their power to cut its legs short.

Image result for confused face

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, davincicode1 said:

Another 100%+ friday increase for "Get Out" which is positive, but will it be enough to overtake Lego's overall gross? it's slowly catching up but I feel like Universal will do anything in their power to cut its legs short.

RUTyPT2.gif

If Universal was really "cutting its legs short", it wouldn't have come close to the 5.1x multiplier it's had so far (unheard of for any non-holiday major studio release in recent memory - even Zootopia and Bad Moms did over/under 4.5x).

Edited by Eevin
  • Like 3

I think what @davincicode1 is saying that Universal wants to cut the legs short for Get Out because the entire studio secretly wants to keep the black man down.  They were covertly behind placing liquor stores in ghettos in the 80's.  They were responsible for funding the defence for the 4 officers who beat Rodney King.  I also have it on good authority that Universal owned the ships used to bring slaves over from Africa.  Their agenda is clear.  They'd rather the black man be kept subjugated instead of make money off of Get Out.

:sadben:

• Like 24