Eevin

A Really Boring Weekend Thread | Weekend Estimates: F8 38.7M | Boss Baby 12.8M | Beauty and the Beast 10M | everything else bombing terribly

7 hours ago, Wrath said:

Setting aside for a moment that its stupid to think a studio would try to cut short the run of one of its own successful movies for racial reasons, why would Mama's run have any bearing on this idea? The stars are Chastain and Coster-Waldau who are two of the least black actors out there, the director is Argentinian and thus Hispanic, but he doesn't particularly look like a minority, and the villain is a hard-to-recognize ghost-mom sort of thing.

Honestly, does this movie even have an african-american character in it? It seems like it'd be the poster child for *lack* of racial diversity rather than an example of an overtly african-american-themed film and thus a candidate for racially-based kneecapping.

The choice of examples, combined with bits like "... a movie doesn't really need to have a great WoM in order to warrant theater boosts or to remain in theaters unnecessarily long. " (bolding mine) and abusive posting make me certain this is trolling. I agree with narniadis. This is clearly trolling and a ban is warranted.

I never insisted that this case was in any way, shape or form race-related; it's just more about how Universal handles horror movie releases in general and prohibiting them from reaching their full potential on BO because it's not convenient (promoting or economy-wise) for UNIVERSAL at that exact moment. You guys are once again making an assumption way impulsively to assert an agenda.

You know what's ban warranted?  on one hand encourage someone to "stop bringing race into every conversation" (through private messages) and then provoke them into doing EXACTLY that when they attempt to divert the conversation from that.

16 hours ago, Barnack said:

That would have been a bit careless for them to do that, say a small Liongates 20 million domestic release type with a movie like that.

A different distributor did is UK release, and the movie didn't work there at all either (and it was a very natural market for it), it opened low and had a terrible 85% second weekend drop, easy to see distributor not having faith in other market that open after that.

Cutting their loss like they did was not a bad option.

Movies failing in some areas doesn't mean they will in others. They could've at least tried to make FF an appealing event for some audience (maybe the younger audience due to the irrerevent shootout appeal of the film?).

But alas.

• Like 1

So if F8 does 38 mill thats a pretty good drop. Based on how horrible the weekday numbers work I really thought it was going to fall 70%.

We dont have to enemies @davincicode1

Maybe if you feel like it you can check out this thread.

I promise you when I get up to 2017, which is not going to be for quite a while obviously, but when I do Get Out will definitely make an appearance on my list.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, davincicode1 said:

I never insisted that this case was in any way, shape or form race-related; it's just more about how Universal handles horror movie releases in general and prohibiting them from reaching their full potential on BO because it's not convenient (promoting or economy-wise) for UNIVERSAL at that exact moment. You guys are once again making an assumption way impulsively to assert an agenda.

You know what's ban warranted?  on one hand encourage someone to "stop bringing race into every conversation" (through private messages) and then provoke them into doing EXACTLY that when they attempt to divert the conversation from that.

You have brought up before in the past that you thought Universal didn't want a film with a black director/main actor succeeding.  That's why everyone brought it up: Because of your past posts.

• Like 6

The wife and I are getting away for a few days this coming week - without the kids - means that I am finally going to catch up on some films. She was looking at showtimes this week for the closest IMAX to our Condo lol - I think she is more excited than me.

Combo of living almost an hour from a theater and having 2 kids under 5 - you don't go often. Last film we saw together was Hidden Figures in January, although she took the 4 year old to see Boss Baby last week.

Hoping to see Lost City of Z but I doubt it's playing in the rural backwoods lol

• Like 3

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

That's a fucking pitiful number for Free Fire. It's possible that 100 tickets weren't even sold at some theaters.

Isn't A24 one of the few studios that doesn't have two week contracts? I imagine a bunch of theaters will be dropping it next weekend.

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Isn't A24 one of the few studios that doesn't have two week contracts? I imagine a bunch of theaters will be dropping it next weekend.

No, they have two week contracts most of the time. The Witch retained all of its theaters in its second weekend. There are exceptions like when Green Room got a late expansion with one showing at many theaters.

Edited by WrathOfHan