kayumanggi

KILLERS OF THE FLOWER MOON | 10.20.2023 | Paramount | current gross: $67,826,648

Still think it's pretty awesome how Scorsese could've easily written this movie more like a thriller by changing when we are given some of the information (which is how I heard the book plays out) but instead, the core of the movie basically plays out like a tragic romance melodrama.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 2

It felt monumental. I've been hyped for this movie for almost a decade without having even read the book and it just blew me away. For everyone involved is one of the best movies they 'll ever get to make imo. The way it unfolds is masterful and heartbreaking. I 've only knew the broad details of the story and avoided reading about it until the movie comes out. Obviously a more mystery thriller approach would be way more commercially appealing, probably shorter and probably still a great movie. But I'm glad they went the other way, the result is incredible.

The runtime didn't bother me either, but it's funny that despite this being my most anticipated movie in years, I still had to reschedule twice and finally saw it a week later. I guess the 3hr mark is a very strong barrier in my mind. It's fine when an epic scope movie is 2.45-3 hours long, but if it is 3h15m my mind goes "wow this movie is almost 4 hours long".

• Like 3

Yeah, I'm dying to see this - I'm very much the target audience for this kind of film - but I just can't budget the 3.5 hours (plus travel time) needed for it. I suspect I'm not the only one.

Hopefully this weekend!

Edited by Celedhring

Domestically, The Lyric, a theater in Fort Collins, Colo., showed the historical drama with an intermission until Oct. 26. However, they did away with the intermission after getting in trouble with Paramount, the film’s distributor, and Apple Original Films, its producer. The companies have been contacting theaters that have violated their contract by splitting up the film and telling them to show “Killers of the Flower Moon” as intended, according to an individual with knowledge of the situation.

“If Scorsese didn’t intend for there to be an intermission, I think that should be at least the primary way people can see it,” says Shawn Robbins, chief analyst at Boxoffice Pro. “That being said, it was a long movie. And I think if there is enough demand out there, and especially if it means a difference in helping someone make the decision to go and buy a ticket, rather than not go see the movie, then maybe there’s an economical and practical argument for at least a limited option.”

It's against the contracts but no other form of art imposes a "requirement" for fans to consume it in one sitting. A long book, no one expects people to read it in one day or even a weekend. Maybe an album, but not everyone listens to music that way. And once this movie is available at home, people will watch it however they want.

Haven't some non-US theaters added random intermissions to Hollywood movies for years, as matter of course? It's probably harder to enforce overseas.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

It's against the contracts but no other form of art imposes a "requirement" for fans to consume it in one sitting. A long book, no one expects people to read it in one day or even a weekend. Maybe an album, but not everyone listens to music that way. And once this movie is available at home, people will watch it however they want.

Haven't some non-US theaters added random intermissions to Hollywood movies for years, as matter of course? It's probably harder to enforce overseas.

I think an intermission would improve the experience. Not sure why it’s a violation to show a movie this way. 

• Like 1

As someone who loved this movie so much to the point I think KOTFM is better than Oppenheimer (another 3 hour drama movie), yeah, I really think we should bring back Intermissions for really long movies. Not only makes for a better experience for your bladder, but it also increase the popcorn sales at the movie theaters (where the real money is for theater chains).

Edited by Boxx93

36 minutes ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

I think an intermission would improve the experience. Not sure why it’s a violation to show a movie this way. 

Filmmakers can be purists about how they want their movies to be watched and think a random break hurts their vision/audience immersion of the storytelling.

20 minutes ago, Boxx93 said:

As someone who loved this movie so much to the point I think KOTFM is better than Oppenheimer (another 3 hour drama movie), yeah, I really think we should bring back Intermissions for really long movies. Not only makes for a better experience for your bladder, but it also increase the popcorn sales at the movie theaters (where the real money is for theater chains).

Paramount probably doesn't want to make the KotFM theatrical experience even longer because it can mean less total showtimes. There are trailers before and cleanup after, and many theaters won't have the extended hours they do in the summer or the holidays.

For example, at my local AMC, Oppenheimer had 4 IMAX showtimes a day, every day, when it debuted, while KotFM only has 3 IMAX shows on the weekends and 2 on Monday-Thursday. Paramount is working with limited operating hours outside the biggest markets and a 4.5 hour turnaround time is already pretty brutal for maximizing money.

5 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Filmmakers can be purists about how they want their movies to be watched and think a random break hurts their vision/audience immersion of the storytelling.

Paramount probably doesn't want to make the KotFM theatrical experience even longer because it can mean less total showtimes. There are trailers before and cleanup after, and many theaters won't have the extended hours they do in the summer or the holidays.

For example, at my local AMC, Oppenheimer had 4 IMAX showtimes a day, every day, when it debuted, while KotFM only has 3 IMAX shows on the weekends and 2 on Monday-Thursday. Paramount is working with limited operating hours outside the biggest markets and a 4.5 hour turnaround time is already pretty brutal for maximizing money.

People who are properly hydrated will most likely break the immersion by using the restroom anyway so the purist directors should keep that in mind. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

People who are properly hydrated will most likely break the immersion by using the restroom anyway so the purist directors should keep that in mind. 

Very true, but some directors kind of exist in a bubble where everyone gets to watch movies in the most optimal way. That is their reality and they can forget it isn't the case for everyone.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ZeroHour said:

I remember when The Irishman hit Netflix and some people on film twitter were appalled at people watching it across multiple sittings. Like the worst crime in the world is watching a long film over more than one night. 

It was so bloated and draggy I never would have finished it in one go.   They're lucky I came back after Pesci called DeNiro "kid".

20 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

I guess it’s not a problem for me because I usually make sure to go before I see a movie, and I stay away from the concessions in general. 

I do as well but oddly not a plus for theater owners who make most of their profit on concessions. 

• Like 1

If you've got to go piss then get up and go take a piss. I had to twice when I watched this movie, it's fine. I really don't see what the big deal is or why people act like that's what's stopping them from seeing the movie. Yes, you're going to miss part of the movie, that's how it's always worked.

Edited by MOVIEGUY
  • Like 2
  • Knock It Off 1