kayumanggi

KILLERS OF THE FLOWER MOON | 10.20.2023 | Paramount | current gross: $67,826,648

Inevitably this movie will be compared to Oppenheimer. Overall, I find Flower Moon's plot to be more accessible and straightforward as compared to Oppenheimer which can cause some confusion to people not familiar with the history. 

Unlike Goodfellas, Aviator or Wolf of Wall street, Scorsese choose to go less "naughty" or vibrant in pacing and editing this time round. Overall the movie flow more like Irishman. It is well earned 3 hours 26 min but I do wish some sequences can go faster and "cleaner". 

I would rank Flower Moon at #8 in Scorsese' filmography. 

1. Taxi Driver

2. Silence

3. Goodfellas

4. The Aviator

5. The Wolf of Wall Street

6. The Irishman

7. Shutter Island

8. the departed 

9. Killer of the Flower Moon

10. Kundun

11.Cape Fear

12. The Colour of Money

13. Age of Innocence   

14. Hugo

15. Gang of New York

16. Alice doesn't live there anymore. 

Edited by titanic2187
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

So, is it normal nowadays for rotten tomatoes to have no audience reviews even after preview night?  I guess we've got the ones here - it's gonna range from decent but boring to brilliant.  

Been that way for a couple months now. I think Nun 2 and Greek Wedding 3 didn’t even have their audience scores up until Saturday. Not sure why this is a thing now. Maybe it’s server issues? But yeah, it’s very annoying.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Eric Mouse said:

Been that way for a couple months now. I think Nun 2 and Greek Wedding 3 didn’t even have their audience scores up until Saturday. Not sure why this is a thing now. Maybe it’s server issues? But yeah, it’s very annoying.

Could it be they felt some pressure from studios that felt bad audience scores there were hampering the OW of their movies? I doubt it myself, but it's interesting to speculate. Why would they have server issues now when they haven't had them before?

• Like 1

Just got out of my screening

Eh, I thought it was alright. Too long, murders are kind of glossed over and the horror of it all isn’t really drilled in as well as it should be as compared to something like Schindlers list. There’s no mystery cause you know whose doing the killings, so there’s no real build up or tension, which causes it to not feel engaging and drag a bit.

And the ending is kind of weak and abrupt, like Apple told Marty he has to wrap it up cause he was 4 minutes away from 3hr 30 minutes.

Solid 3.5/5 imo.

Edited by Valencia
  • Like 1

I think it's great and up there with Silence for best in Scorsese's "recent" filmography. I don't think the mystery was ever the point. The horror of the whole thing is well delivered through the main characters and it really shook me at several points.

It's rather late for me and I don't want to go down in detail about this right now but yeah, I thought it was really really good.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

How long can Apple keep it's app off Android devices? Because till then it's a giant loss leader for them 

Apple TV has been on Android for some time

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.apple.atve.androidtv.appletv

If you are talking specifically mobile, much like Chromebook's and non-Mac PC they have an option for people to watch in browser: 

https://support.apple.com/en-nz/guide/tvplus/apdc0cb7ad64/web

Lack of reach is not a problem for Apple but outside of Ted Lasso (and possibly the MLS Messi games) they just haven't had a massive must watch movie/show unlike many of their competitors. However they seem fine spending money as marketing play for now, though they have been more discerning than the first couple of years with many more recent cancellations. 

On 10/19/2023 at 9:11 AM, titanic2187 said:

Inevitably this movie will be compared to Oppenheimer. Overall, I find Flower Moon's plot to be more accessible and straightforward as compared to Oppenheimer which can cause some confusion to people not familiar with the history. 

Unlike Goodfellas, Aviator or Wolf of Wall street, Scorsese choose to go less "naughty" or vibrant in pacing and editing this time round. Overall the movie flow more like Irishman. It is well earned 3 hours 26 min but I do wish some sequences can go faster and "cleaner". 

I would rank Flower Moon at #8 in Scorsese' filmography. 

1. Taxi Driver

2. Silence

3. Goodfellas

4. The Aviator

5. The Wolf of Wall Street

6. The Irishman

7. Shutter Island

8. Killer of the Flower Moon

9. Kundun

10. Cape Fear

11. The Colour of Money

12. Age of Innocence