kayumanggi

KILLERS OF THE FLOWER MOON | 10.20.2023 | Paramount | current gross: $67,826,648

i really hoped this would have opened to over 30... as long as it holds on and hits 100m domestic

His top 10 I'd go:

1. Raging Bull

2. Goodfellas

3. Taxi Driver

4. The Age of Innocence

5. The Wolf of Wall Street

6. Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore

7. The King of Comedy

8. Killers of the Flower Moon

9. After Hours

10. The Last Temptation of Christ

59 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

i really hoped this would have opened to over 30... as long as it holds on and hits 100m domestic

His top 10 I'd go:

1. Raging Bull

2. Goodfellas

3. Taxi Driver

4. The Age of Innocence

5. The Wolf of Wall Street

6. Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore

7. The King of Comedy

8. Killers of the Flower Moon

9. After Hours

10. The Last Temptation of Christ

Given the rather dire state of movie theaters right now, the idea of a three and a half hour Martin Scorsese movie with an uncomfortable subject matter opening to over $20 million might as well be taken as a win. 

• Like 3

My favourite actor in the movie was Ty Mitchell, the dude with the glass eye and the moustache. haven't seen any reviews mention him but he was great. just wanted to shout out that guy, liked his performance more than the headliners.

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

Just saw it. It was a very good. Not sure if I can call it great. This is a movie I have to think about for awhile.  Will say if it comes  down to this and Oppenheimer for BP I will go with Oppie 

For a while now i've had a feeling this will get Irishman'd. lots of nominations but no wins. still feel it's gonna swing that way after seeing it.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

For a while now i've had a feeling this will get Irishman'd. lots of nominations but no wins. still feel it's gonna swing that way after seeing it.

Yep I can see that. Leo aint beating Cillian Marty aint beating Chris and Rodrigo aint beating Hoyt.  They all did great  just a little shy of Oppie. 

I liked this overall, but sizable sections of it felt static and low energy, with a "so this happened, then this happened, then this happened, and finally that happened" feel. Certain parts of it really pick up and get riveting, but it at times it feels overly drawn out and relies on the actors to keep you involved.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

I liked this overall, but sizable sections of it felt static and low energy, with a "so this happened, then this happened, then this happened, and finally that happened" feel. Certain parts of it really pick up and get riveting, but it at times it feels overly drawn out and relies on the actors to keep you involved.

Yeah I kind of agree with you there. 

10 hours ago, Boxx93 said:

Lily Gladstone should be a locked win for Best Actress. I just cant see another performance being better than that this year.

Her screen time is kind of limited for a lead. I am not surprised Oscar members pull a trick and nominate her in supporting category anyway. 

1 minute ago, Spidey Freak said:

I'm a bit fuzzy on the rules but I don't think they can do that if the official submission is for Lead?

No, the studio can only campaign in lead or supporting but members still can choose the category they deem fit. Winslet campaigned in supporting actress but surprisingly (it was mega surprise) got and won best leading actress. 

stanfield campaign for lead in Judas and the black messiah but Oscar still went ahead and nominate him in supporting actor. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

Her screen time is kind of limited for a lead. I am not surprised Oscar members pull a trick and nominate her in supporting category anyway. 

Spoiler

That is one of the things that brings the movie down slightly for me. I understand that is the true life story. But her lying in bed being slowly poisened to death while the movie focuses on truly horrible people try to cover up their crimes. The movie misses her being a major part presence. 

Edited by emoviefan

45 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

They're gonna submit it as supporting.

The trades have been reporting that Gladstone will be campaigned for lead actress. The optics really aren't great for DiCaprio to be the only lead. Looking on social media, opinions on Gladstone's role seem pretty split. I would say I've seen other Best Actress nominees with similar screen time, but the story could have been told in a way that centered Mollie more than it did. Against this year’s other likely nominees, she might be at a disadvantage vs women who are featured more.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Like 1

So far, the only real threat who has gained traction on the festival circuit is Emma Stone for Poor Things. I think the studio will push Gladstone for Lead as they would want to harp on the fact that she's the first NA actress to have a lead role in a big budget film, and it would give her a stronger awards season narrative than Stone (who is already a previous winner).

• Like 1