Alli

Weekend thread: GOTG2 63 m | Snatched 17.5 mi | King Arthur 14.7 m

Just now, TwoMisfits said:

So, was STX's until Bad Moms...(my last summer sleeper:)...

STX's film output since then hasn't exactly produced hits either...

Edited by Jonwo

2 minutes ago, The Panda said:

I think people are misjudging how well the Star can play with the religious crowd and how well it can cross-over to the not as religious as well.

That's the OS run buggered then! 

2 minutes ago, The Panda said:

I think people are misjudging how well the Star can play with the religious crowd and how well it can cross-over to the not as religious as well.

It's even being co produced by Sony's Christian film label: Affirm Pictures. Even Walden Media and Jim Henson is helping. I can see it playing to the religious crowd.

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 2

Yeah, I remember saying Boss Baby looked like a hit that could do Trolls numbers.

I'll wait until we get a trailer and more metrics.  But The Star has a lot going for it.  A good release date, festive theme, religious appeal (but not in a way that'll turn off non-religious), talking animals, high profile/fan base celebrities, etc.

150m+ looks like a shoe-in.

• Like 2

Just now, The Panda said:

Yeah, I remember saying Boss Baby looked like a hit that could do Trolls numbers.

I'll wait until we get a trailer and more metrics.  But The Star has a lot going for it.  A good release date, festive theme, religious appeal (but not in a way that'll turn off non-religious), talking animals, high profile/fan base celebrities, etc.

150m+ looks like a shoe-in.

In fact only Me, you, @narniadis, and @FantasticBeasts thought $150M would happen for BB. Everyone was thinking Peabody numbers, some said sub $100M. 

• Like 2

Can we stop to realize that this thread went from weekend performances of KA and Snatched, to Guardians 2 potential, to Deadpool 2's potential, to CBMs, then to The Star box office potential? I love this forum.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, EmpireCity said:

I would be shocked at that.  The novelty of the character is gone and a bunch of smarmy self referential jokes aren't going to cut it on this one.  They are going to have to up the stakes and make something that is fresh and not repetitive cussing action.  

Really like the first one, but would be very surprised if it even matches the first box office total.  

Well, like I said, I'm going loonie on deadpool.

You are making too much sense and interesting points here.  I'm not listening to it.  Go full loonie or no loonie.

• Like 4

You know why DP will open to close to 200 mill?  Because no one is expecting it to.  The first one came out of nowhere.  It took 11 years to get made and it only got greenlit when someone "leaked" the footage.  Everything about DP was an after thought from Fox and it became their highest grossing comic book film of all time.  Everything says that DP2 shouldn't increase all that much.

But it will.  It will defy the box office once again.  500 mill is a possibility.  

Never go full loonie?  Fuck that.  Always go full loonie when you love something.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, baumer said:

You know why DP will open to close to 200 mill?  Because no one is expecting it to.  The first one came out of nowhere.  It took 11 years to get made and it only got greenlit when someone "leaked" the footage.  Everything about DP was an after thought from Fox and it became their highest grossing comic book film of all time.  Everything says that DP2 shouldn't increase all that much.

But it will.  It will defy the box office once again.  500 mill is a possibility.  

Never go full loonie?  Fuck that.  Always go full loonie when you love something.

It might go sub-250. 

Domestic. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tele Came Back said:

It might go sub-250. 

Domestic. 

I'd take that bet.  10 to 1 odds.  Deadpool will open closer to 250 than finishing with less than it.

• Like 1