grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

1 minute ago, TalismanRing said:

Or maybe it's the night a lot of  women decide to go to the theater alone or with girlfriends because they could give a fuck about basketball.  It's the perfect movie for that.

Uh, about 40 percent of the audience for NBA games is women. And the type of women who get together girl groups to go see Wonder Woman on a work night and also don't care at all about basketball is prettttty thin by my book. Groups of working professional women getting together on a girl date to go see a big alternative to the basketball usually isn't a Thursday night event.

6 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I know this argument doesn't hold water on these boards (even though I think it's an undeniable truth) but the first game of the Finals starts at nine and overlaps with all showings of this movie, and that will be the highest rated non-Game 7 in modern basketball history. It's a historic game with as many stars and storylines as any Finals game in ages. It'll get 20 million plus viewers. I know people that would have seen WW tonight that are skipping it to watch the game, including yours truly. So yea I know people like to argue sports don't matter but when 20 million plus people who would otherwise be free stay home/go out to watch a huge game, that matters. If even 200,000 of them would have seen Wonder Woman instead, that's an extra couple million.

That would explain the wide open showings of this at my theater. These aren't huge auditoriums or anything so I don't think the theater added these in the past hour. There are literally 2 seats taken out of all 3 showings. The latest 2 showings are empty. I thought I would have to buy a seat to get in the middle like I always want but it doesn't seem like there's a rush. Even the 10:35 showing has a row where not a single seat has been sold closer to the back. Maybe walkups will be stronger though.

I don't expect the previews to speak for the OW of this movie.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Uh, about 40 percent of the audience for NBA games is women. And the type of women who get together girl groups to go see Wonder Woman on a work night and also don't care at all about basketball is prettttty thin by my book. Groups of working professional women getting together on a girl date to go see a big alternative to the basketball usually isn't a Thursday night event.

With a 40/60 gap for basketball that's still more women than men to be interested in doing something else.  It's Wonder Woman - it's an event for many women - work or not (and with 7pm shows that's not exactly late) and colleges are out as are many high schools.

Edited by TalismanRing

44 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I know this argument doesn't hold water on these boards (even though I think it's an undeniable truth) but the first game of the Finals starts at nine and overlaps with all showings of this movie, and that will be the highest rated non-Game 7 in modern basketball history. It's a historic game with as many stars and storylines as any Finals game in ages. It'll get 20 million plus viewers. I know people that would have seen WW tonight that are skipping it to watch the game, including yours truly. So yea I know people like to argue sports don't matter but when 20 million plus people who would otherwise be free stay home/go out to watch a huge game, that matters. If even 200,000 of them would have seen Wonder Woman instead, that's an extra couple million.

Makes sense. We have a lot more options besides movies these days

• Like 2

Final WW Predictions:

Pre $12.5M  
Fri $28.0M $40.5M
Sat $32.7M  
Sun $24.1M  

OW $97.3M  
2nd $41.1M  
3rd $20.7M  
4th $13.1M  

DOM $290M  
INT $390M  
WW

$680M

10 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The Mummy is estimated to open in 4,000 theaters next weekend according to BOM.

The lowest opening for a film in 4,000+ theaters is Cloudy 2 with $34M. Wonder if we'll see that record get broken with The Mummy.

Just now, Biggestgeekever said:

Final WW Predictions:

Pre $12.5M  
Fri $28.0M $40.5M
Sat $32.7M  
Sun $24.1M  

OW $97.3M  
2nd $41.1M  
3rd $20.7M  
4th $13.1M  

DOM $290M  
INT $390M  
WW

$680M

The lowest opening for a film in 4,000+ theaters is Cloudy 2 with $34M. Wonder if we'll see that record get broken with The Mummy.

It all depends on the reviews IMO given that hype/buzz is on the soft side as is. If they're okay, I think it could do a respectable opening in Wonder Woman's shadow ala Robin Hood opening after Iron Man 2 to alright numbers. But if they're really bad, it's just gonna sink.

Just took a glance at a nearby AMC's seating, and the IMAX showing for 10:40 (around 3 hrs from now) looks about 1/3 full. Room is pretty big; over 330 seats. That's the only screening that has reserved seating, though.

At a nearby Cinemark, the Cinemark XD showing at 10:15 has 245 seats and looks around half full. At 8 and 9:30, there are RealD 3D showings of around 100 seats each, and the earlier one is about full (except for the front crappy rows), while the later one is around 1/3 full.

The normal Digital showings stretch from 7:45 to 10:45 PM. The auditoriums vary in size. First three showings (8:30, 8:45, 9:00) are around 100 seats and are all almost full, as is the 10:00 showing of around 60 seats. Next one at 9:15 is around 67 seats and is around half full. Showing at 10:30 has 100 seats and is half full, and final showing for tonight (10:45) has over 250 seats and is around half full.

Good showings all around.

3 minutes ago, Biggestgeekever said:

Final WW Predictions:

Pre $12.5M  
Fri $28.0M $40.5M
Sat $32.7M  
Sun $24.1M  

OW $97.3M  
2nd $41.1M  
3rd $20.7M  
4th $13.1M  

DOM $290M  
INT $390M  
WW

$680M

I'll be shocked if WW OD will be 40M only.

20 minutes ago, Ohana said:

I'll be shocked if WW OD will be 40M only.

I can't shake the feeling expectations have just gotten completely out of control since reviews dropped.

It's always fun to watch a movie way overperform, and despite my reservations, this film is a step forward for the DCEU. So I would love to be wrong!

• Like 5