grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

Yikes. If Mummy does that bad then those 60m predicts for WW may actually happen. I mean even just by default, the summer money has to go to something non-animated before July. Maybe Transformers will actually do surprisingly well, though I still doubt it does much better than Pirates 5. 

On the bright side, this is great news for Spidey, Apes, and Dunkirk. All three might breakout big if WW has been the only non-kids movie keeping summer afloat for weeks. 

Edited by MovieMan89

12 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Yikes. If Mummy does that bad then those 60m predicts for WW may actually happen. I mean even just by default, the summer money has to go to something non-animated before July. Maybe Transformers will actually do surprisingly well, though I still doubt it does much better than Pirates 5. 

On the bright side, this is great news for Spidey, Apes, and Dunkirk. All three might breakout big if WW has been the only non-kids movie keeping summer afloat for weeks. 

And Valerian.

• Like 5

How my theater looks tomorrow night:

The Mummy: 18/78

ICAN and Megan have sold nothing for tomorrow. Looking into Friday, The Mummy has sold 56 seats for all showings (49 2D/7 3D), Megan has sold 8 seats, and ICAN has sold 4 seats. It'd be awesome if I'm the only one in my showing of ICAN :jeb!: 

Edited by WrathOfHan

9 hours ago, Napoleon said:

This is crazy, there's no way The Mommy does that. There's an over $100M audience for this movie out there. It has Tom Cruise, it has a good marketing push, there's no way it does less than 100M. Worst case scenario it will do The Legend of Tarzan numbers.

No Way? Really? 

We'll see.

9 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

King Arthur says cheerio

King Arthur and disappointment don't really go together, cause I don't think many people were expecting a big performance from that in the 1st place.

But Alien: Covenant does say cheerio to that, though.

Yeah, WB had clearly written King Arthur off a while back given the multiple delays.

Audiences are not here for product that either isn't very appealing or, in the case of the sequels following movies that weren't well-received, were unwanted this summer. We'll see if the animated sequels following movies with tepid receptions (Cars 3, Despicable Me 3) are immune to this.

23 hours ago, TheMovieman said:

The Mummy tickets sold Thursday:

2D

7:45pm - 2

10:00pm - 5

11:15pm - 0

3D

7:00pm - 1

10:25pm - 2

So all told, 5 showings, 10 tickets sold.

It Comes At Night

7:00pm - 4

9:30pm - 0

10:35pm - 0

11:20pm - 0

For comparison, the 7:10pm (yes, on Thursday) showing of Wonder Woman has 29 tickets sold.

The Mummy
2D

7:45pm - 8

10:00pm - 8

11:15pm - 0

3D

7:00pm - 12

10:25pm - 6

Total Tickets Sold: 34; Wonder Woman 7:10pm - 54

It Comes At Night

7:00pm - 4

9:30pm - 4

10:35pm - 0

11:20pm - 0

Edited by TheMovieman

The Mummy is selling horribly at all of the reserved seating theaters around me with most shows hardly selling 10 tickets for tonight (even the iPic theater hasn't come close to selling out despite everything usually selling out there). At this point I won't be surprised if it flops completely ala Fantastic Four 2015.

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The Mummy is selling horribly at all of the reserved seating theaters around me with most shows hardly selling 10 tickets for tonight (even the iPic theater hasn't come close to selling out despite everything usually selling out there). At this point I won't be surprised if it flops completely ala Fantastic Four 2015.

Fantastic Four opened to $25M. Are we even sure that The Mummy is gonna do that :thinking:

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

Yeah, WB had clearly written King Arthur off a while back given the multiple delays.

Audiences are not here for product that either isn't very appealing or, in the case of the sequels following movies that weren't well-received, were unwanted this summer. We'll see if the animated sequels following movies with tepid receptions (Cars 3, Despicable Me 3) are immune to this.

I thought DM2 had a good reception?

10 minutes ago, filmlover said:

While there are obvious facts to be concerned, the Mummy looks to me more backloaded and walkups friendly than a well known superhero franchise.

• Like 6