grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

Note on Emoji: Marcus Cinemas (the main theater chain in Wisconsin) is giving it Thursday for most of it theaters, some even giving it their PLF (Ultrascreen). However AMC Mayfair with IMAX has no showtimes for it.

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, filmlover said:

And to think Sony will be back at it with the Barbie movie next summer. May God have mercy on Anne Hathaway.

I'm trying to understand who on Anne Hathaway's team thought it was a good idea for her to sign up for that film. Like Anne is an Oscar winning actress. Surely her choices are not limited to the freaking Barbie movie. 

18 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

1st local has set its schedule for this Friday and added 1 screen for Atomic Blonde and 1 split screen for Emoji and dropped NO movies (so WW and Baby Driver get to continue with a full small screen for another week).  Funny enough, Saturday is not yet for sale, so I think the theater wants to see how everything presells another few days before sticking to the following calls...

To make room for the 2 new movies, Spidey (which had 2 screens) gave up its smallest screen and has kept the largest theater screen, dropping from 9 to 5 showings/day.  Also, Apes gave up its second screen, but the one it gave up was its larger screen, so it now is only shown 5 times on the theater's smallest screens.  Valerian gave up its larger screen to also only get a smallest screen.  And the 2 new movies each get one of the larger screens (but not the largest, which Spidey keeps again)...

2nd local is up and they also dropped NO movies (so WW, BD, and Big Sick live another day).  In a change from the 1st local, this theater dropped Dunkirk's extra morning showings, and 2 screens for Apes (from 12 showings to 4), and Girl's Trips extra night showings,  and added a full screen for Atomic Blonde, a split 2d/3d for Emoji, and a full screen for Ghost Story.

EDIT: Wish Upon did leave, losing its single showing/day...if that counts:)...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

Just now, Krissykins said:

Meh, $20M would be a bit disappointing for Atomic Blonde.

I know it only cost $30m, but it's had quite a lot of online hype since the first reviews hit a few months ago. 

Following a glut of action movies (and having arguably the least going for it) didn't help, but the movie's apparently more of a Cold War thriller than a "Watch Charlize Kick Ass" flick anyway.

11 hours ago, That Atomic Guy said:

Flatliners and The Star are both very low budget and Only the Brave was a Sony acquisition from Lionsgate and wasn't produced under their umbrella, so they'll probably be fine.

Yeah they're but they're barely making a profit on their film slate. I dont know how much longer they can go on. This isnt a Universal situation which also keeps budgets under control, can market their films well and are getting huge returns. 

26 minutes ago, babz06 said:

Yeah they're but they're barely making a profit on their film slate. I dont know how much longer they can go on. This isnt a Universal situation which also keeps budgets under control, can market their films well and are getting huge returns. 

To be fair, Universal had a notoriously bad year in 1998 where every single movie they released aside from Patch Adams bombed (their yearly total was less than $400M) and they ended up recovering just fine. Sony will be alright in the long run. They're still trying to recover from the aftermath of the hack, they were actually doing fine every year until that happened.

21 minutes ago, A Panda of Ice and Fire said:

I'm honestly tempted to see the Emoji movie just so I can see how bad it is.

Because I babysit, my uncle recently asked me to take my little cousins to see it. July 29th will be a fun day.

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, Spaghetti of 1000 Planets said:

After some more investigation, it looks like most of my nearby large format screens are either DUNKIRK or ATOMIC BLONDE this weekend.

For theaters near me with one PLF it's either Dunkirk.  For the ones with 2-3 it's a blend of Emoji, Blonde, and Dunkirk, strangely one has the combo of Girls Trip, Emoji and Blonde.

• Like 1