grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

6 minutes ago, filmnerdjamie said:

For the umpteenth time now... audiences can smell a cheap cash-grab when they see it. They liked Daddy's Home two years ago but nobody in the world asked for a sequel outside of Paramount accountants. Been placing bets since this summer (when that teaser dropped) over how long 'till Gibson single-handily gets blamed for Daddy's Home 2 crashing and burning? 

Despite the fact that it was yet another sequel to a well-liked film nobody requested and ignoring the fact both Wahlberg and Ferrell have headlined several duds recently. But no... it's all Gibson's fault. Ugh.

See, it was NOT well-liked...that's why Daddy's Home 2 is Nut Job Never Again...Daddy's Home, like original Nut Job, made more money than it probably thought it ever could make on horrid critical reviews and very subpar audience ones...

1 minute ago, TwoMisfits said:

See, it was NOT well-liked...that's why Daddy's Home 2 is Nut Job Never Again...Daddy's Home, like original Nut Job, made more money than it probably thought it ever could make on horrid critical reviews and very subpar audience ones...

I think the worst-case for Daddy2 is a Neighbors2 like drop to 1/3rd the dom of Daddy1 and doing 50m+ or so.

BOM says the budget is 69m. The first one did 92m OS. If this one can do around 70m both dom and OS it will be fine. Should do well on rentals too I guess.

Unless the prod budget is much higher than 69m, I understand why the studio went ahead with the sequel. The first did 242m ww after all. If this one drops by 100m ww it still won't be unprofitable.

19 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

No.  Audiences liked Daddy's Home.

19 minutes ago, Rumpot said:

Not many fans around here but I thought it looked funny enough and it got laughs whenever the preview came up for me over the past few weeks

I never find him (will Ferell) or his character funny. Seems like Audience is growing tired as well by the looks of thing.

1 hour ago, filmnerdjamie said:

For the umpteenth time now... audiences can smell a cheap cash-grab when they see it. They liked Daddy's Home two years ago but nobody in the world asked for a sequel outside of Paramount accountants. Been placing bets since this summer (when that teaser dropped) over how long 'till Gibson single-handily gets blamed for Daddy's Home 2 crashing and burning? 

Despite the fact that it was yet another sequel to a well-liked film nobody requested and ignoring the fact both Wahlberg and Ferrell have headlined several duds recently. But no... it's all Gibson's fault. Ugh.

I know most of DH's nosediving is the typical sophmore comedy blues but Gibson probably isn't helping.

Not only is Gibson notorious for being painfully politically incorrect, the trailers kind of force you to empathize with homophobia (eww two men are kissing, right in front an alpha male!). That stuff plays well for the red meat crowd but not enough to compensate for losing the millenials and progressives.

People don't want to root for the lovable bigot during the Trump era. It's no longer cute.

Edit: That's just my opinion. I know this is a sensitive subject though.

Edited by grey ghost

18 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

http://deadline.com/2017/11/searchlight-three-billboards-frances-mcdormand-woody-harrelson-thelma-specialty-box-office-1202205036/

Doesn't seem to be the case anymore. It goes to around 400 theaters on Thanksgiving, and goes to 600-800 theaters on December 1.

• Sad 1

34 minutes ago, B D Joe said:

No.  Audiences liked Daddy's Home.

Uh...says who?  Audience is 49% on rotten tomatoes.  And anecdotally, I watched it...rotten tomatoes wasn't lying.  Very mediocre and not that funny...I wouldn't watch a 2nd one, even though the concept and actors got me in for the 1st...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

I know most of DH's nosediving is the typical sophmore comedy blues but Gibson probably isn't helping.

Not only is Gibson notorious for being painfully politically incorrect, the trailers kind of force you to empathize with homophobia (eww two men are kissing, right in front an alpha male!). That stuff plays well for the red meat crowd but not enough to compensate for losing the millenials and progressives.

People don't want to root for the lovable bigot during the Trump era. It's no longer cute.

Edit: That's just my opinion. I know this is a sensitive subject though.

I don't think that Gibson scene would play well with anyone...progressives would be insulted by Gibson's character, evangelicals would be insulted by the kissing itself (and wouldn't want their kids seeing it), and everyone else says "ugh, great, another forced-in "petting" activity to get a laugh..."

The casting of Gibson was a bad idea. His name brings nothing but groans these days. Doesn't help the movie one bit, but this was a doomed failure to start. The original isn't funny and I doubt this one was much better. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CoolEric258 said:

http://deadline.com/2017/11/searchlight-three-billboards-frances-mcdormand-woody-harrelson-thelma-specialty-box-office-1202205036/

Doesn't seem to be the case anymore. It goes to around 400 theaters on Thanksgiving, and goes to 600-800 theaters on December 1.

GOD FUCKING DAMMIT. FUCK YOU FOX SEARCHLIGHT.

Edit: nvm this is actually hitting a theater I like during that period:ohmygod: 

Edited by WrathOfHan

1 hour ago, TwoMisfits said:

Uh...says who?  Audience is 49% on rotten tomatoes.  And anecdotally, I watched it...rotten tomatoes wasn't lying.  Very mediocre and not that funny...I wouldn't watch a 2nd one, even though the concept and actors got me in for the 1st...

Families aren't the ones voting on Rotten Tomatoes.  It's teenage male loners.

Huge leap for Daddy's Home 2. It's first showing begins in 30 minutes. I'll probably do an update right after the 5pm showing just because the 6:30pm and 7:00pm showings are more significant. 

MOE sold 32 tickets and I am hoping can pick up steam (no pun intended). It still has 2.5 hours before its first showing.

Expect a final updated around 7pm Central time. 

Daddy's Home 2 96 580 16.6%
Murder on the Orient Express 115 312 36.9%
  • Like 2