grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

6 minutes ago, ReyReyBattery said:

I can't find any specific numbers for the weekend :(

Guess people were a little preoccupied that weekend. Abandoned the poor old buzz thread. Someone might have posted them in the TFA weekend thread but I'm not having any dice finding them with the forums search engine and I can't really be bothered going through 324 pages to see if they show up in there :lol:

Thanks for looking! I was mainly curious to see how it was compared to OD, to see if that could gleam any insight into what kind Saturday hold TLJ is looking at.

• Like 1

For historical purposes:

TLJ selling approx 460 sets of tickets per minute (12:49 PST). I say approx because Fandango Pulse kept resetting backwards and only has a buffer of a couple of minutes.

MT: 

TLJ: 78.5

Ferdinand: 5.5

Coco: 3.2

Wonder: 1.7

Shape of Water: 1.3

Pulse:

TLJ

TLJ 3D

Ferdinand

Coco

TLJ IMAX 3D

• Like 3

3 hours ago, filmlover said:

Neither Jumanji or The Greatest Showman appear to be doing Tuesday night previews.

I was under the impression that there were no previews this week - competing with SW for screens on cheap Tuesday sounded like stupidity to me.

1 hour ago, narniadis said:

I was under the impression that there were no previews this week - competing with SW for screens on cheap Tuesday sounded like stupidity to me.

I was under the impression he was killed before that. Did the Council ever authorize the creation of a clone army?

7 minutes ago, The Last AndyLL said:

Is there anywhere we can get number of screens a movie is in?  PTA is kind of meaningless these days when theaters range from 24 screens like mine to just a couple of screens.

BOM sometimes has them, but the frequency is incredibly random.

9 minutes ago, The Last AndyLL said:

Is there anywhere we can get number of screens a movie is in?  PTA is kind of meaningless these days when theaters range from 24 screens like mine to just a couple of screens.

None that I know of.  BOM did that for a while but stopped around early 2016 except for like one random film a week.  The only one being currently tracked is The Star.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 1

iSpot update:

Christmas openers and their airings (rounded up to the nearest hundredth unless it's right next to the middle):

Jumanji: 3,400 

PP3: 2,800

Showman: 2,600

Father Figures: 1,800

Darkest Hour: 1,600

Downsizing: 1,350

Money: 1,350

Shape of Water: 1,000

Molly's Game: 600

Phantom Thread hasn't aired any ads on TV

Insidious has just under 400 airings. Given Blumhouse and Universal relied heavily on online marketing for their big hits this year, ads won't paint the whole picture for this one.

The Post already has over 450 ad airings, which is an excellent sign. This isn't a typical limited release that relies on WOM more than marketing.

Paddington has over 200 airings, which is also very strong. The most recent airing was on Jersey Shore, for some reason :lol: 

Proud Mary (18), The Commuter (27), and 12 Strong (16) just started their ad campaigns.

Edited by WrathOfHan

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

iSpot update:

Christmas openers and their airings (rounded up to the nearest hundredth unless it's towards the middle like Downsizing):

Jumanji: 3,400 

PP3: 2,800

Showman: 2,600

Father Figures: 1,800

Darkest Hour: 1,600

Downsizing: 1,350

Money: 1,350

Shape of Water: 1,000

Molly's Game: 600

Phantom Thread hasn't aired any ads on TV

Insidious has just under 400 airings. Given Blumhouse and Universal relied heavily on online marketing for their big hits this year, ads won't paint the whole picture for this one.

The Post already has over 450 ad airings, which is an excellent sign. This isn't a typical limited release that relies on WOM more than marketing.

Paddington has over 200 airings, which is also very strong. The most recent airing was on Jersey Shore, for some reason :lol: 

Proud Mary (18), The Commuter (27), and 12 Strong (16) just started their ad campaigns.

The Post is opening in 9 theaters this weekend (I guess it's also opening in DC in addition to NY/LA, which makes sense given what the film's about).

Pulse:

1. SW

2. SW 3D

3. SW IMAX 3D

4. SW IMAX

5. Ferdinand

5 minutes of watching:

7 PP3

6 Darkest Hour

5 Jumanji

4 The Post

3 Showman

3 Downsizing

2 Molly's Game

2 SOW

It's hard to say how many of Darkest Hour's sales were from theaters it's current playing in, but that's encouraging nonetheless.

I wonder how many people are aware Jumanji and Showman open on Wednesday; they should be selling a bit more, no?

That is INSANE for The Post :ohmygod: Could it cross a 100k PTA in 9 theaters?

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Pulse:

1. SW

2. SW 3D

3. SW IMAX 3D

4. SW IMAX

5. Ferdinand

5 minutes of watching:

7 PP3

6 Darkest Hour

5 Jumanji

4 The Post

3 Showman

3 Downsizing

2 Molly's Game

2 SOW

It's hard to say how many of Darkest Hour's sales were from theaters it's current playing in, but that's encouraging nonetheless.

I wonder how many people are aware Jumanji and Showman open on Wednesday; they should be selling a bit more, no?

That is INSANE for The Post :ohmygod: Could it cross a 100k PTA in 9 theaters?

Most likely. It's the only other movie that could actually challenge Call Me by Your Name's opening average for the biggest of the year.

Molly's Game is opening in 200+ theaters next week too btw.

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Molly's Game is opening in 200+ theaters next week too btw.

I saw an ad banner on RT the other day that said "In Select Theaters Nationwide", so I was thinking it'd be closer to 400-500 theaters. Interesting strategy regardless, so hopefully it pays off.

4 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I saw an ad banner on RT the other day that said "In Select Theaters Nationwide", so I was thinking it'd be closer to 400-500 theaters. Interesting strategy regardless, so hopefully it pays off.

They're hitting all the metropolitan/specialty crowd areas where it'll obviously do well in all likelihood.

Gonna be a busy holiday season for theaters in this area. Darkest Hour, Call Me by Your Name, and Molly's Game will all be opening at a slew of theaters around here.