grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

Theater Update:

Paddington 4 2252 0.18%
Proud Mary 12 1845 0.65%
The Commuter 0 2318  
Fifty Shades 211 1921 10.98%
Black Panther 196 2176 9.01%

Paddington, Proud Mary, The Commuter, and Black Panther are based off of their 4-Day weekends. Paddington and Proud Mary have the above-average auditoriums, but for some masochistic reason The Commuter is getting the largest auditorium this weekend. Also, there's no Post.

Just now, CoolEric258 said:

Theater Update:

Paddington 4 2252 0.18%
Proud Mary 12 1845 0.65%
The Commuter 0 2318  

Paddington, Proud Mary, The Commuter, and Black Panther are based off of their 4-Day weekends. Paddington and Proud Mary have the above-average auditoriums, but for some masochistic reason The Commuter is getting the largest auditorium this weekend. Also, there's no Post.

The Post is getting the biggest auditorium here, seems like the wisest choice.

So, no update from my local 12s yet, but I do know the new movies they are booking - gonna be big hits to less-performing holdovers with these kinda amounts of openers...

1st local (Cinemark) is adding Paddington, The Commuter, The Post, A-Prince In Exile (Tues), and Jai Simha...

2nd local (Regal) is adding Paddington, I Tonya, The Commuter, and The Post...

They could be adding even more, but these all have Thursday presales (or sales for APIE)...

1st local (Cinemark) is set...here's the lineup...

NEW

Paddington (1)

Proud Mary (added late - 1)

The Commuter (1)

The Post (1)

A - Prince in Exile (1)

Returning

Insidious (1)

Darkest Hour (1)

PP3 (1)

Jumanji (1)

The Greatest Showman (1)

TLJ (1 - it stays, at least this week!)

Coco (1 - UPPED from split screen last two weeks)

GONE

Every old foreign film, Molly's Game (only lasted 1 week), Ferdinand (loses to Coco, even though Coco has been at my cheapo since before Xmas - this must be a MoviePass seller, which my cheapo does not take...either that, or the families coming are buying more popcorn:), Downsizing 

And the other foreign film I thought was coming just gets a Thursday outing for now...weird...

On 1/2/2018 at 6:34 PM, WrathOfHan said:

Coco and Thor: Ragnarok are gone.

Darkest Hour: 4 (Biggest)

Insidious: The Last Key: 4 (Average)

Molly's Game: 4 (2nd Biggest)

Star Wars: The Last Jedi: 6 (Down 4; 3 2D/3 3D; Average)

All the Money in the World: 4 (Flat; Average)

Downsizing: 4 (Flat; Smallest)

Ferdinand: 4 (Flat; 3rd Smallest)

The Greatest Showman: 4 (Flat; Average)

Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle: 4 (Down 5; 2 2D/3 3D; Average)

Pitch Perfect 3: 4 (Flat; 2nd Smallest)

Wonder: 3 (Flat; 4th Smallest)

Father Figures: 1 (Down 1; 4th Smallest)

During the weekend, Jumanji has the biggest auditorium and two extra screens (average and fourth smallest with Downsizing and TLJ) while one TLJ screen is the 2nd biggest auditorium; DH and MG are downgraded to average auditoriums.

Auditorium sizes for reference (all seats are recliners if you're wondering why they're small):  

Hide contents

Biggest: 124 seats

2nd Biggest: 113 seats

Average: 78 seats (6 auditoriums are this size)

4th Smallest: 69 seats

3rd Smallest: 67 seats

2nd Smallest: 63 seats

Smallest: 60 seats

Downsizing, Father Figures, and Wonder are gone.

The Commuter: 4 (Average)

Paddington 2: 4 (3rd Smallest)

The Post: 4 (Biggest)

Proud Mary: 4 (Average)

Darkest Hour: 4 (Flat; 2nd Biggest)

The Greatest Showman: 4 (Flat; Average)

Insidious: The Last Key: 4 (Flat; 2nd Smallest)

Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle: 4 (Flat; 2 2D/2 3D; Average)

Molly's Game: 4 (Flat; Average)

Pitch Perfect 3: 4 (Flat; Smallest)

Star Wars: The Last Jedi: 3 (Down 3; 2 2D/1 3D; Average)

All the Money in the World: 2 (Down 2; 4th Smallest)

Ferdinand: 2 (Down 2; 4th Smallest)

During the weekend, Paddington has the 2nd biggest auditorium.

Auditorium sizes for reference (all seats are recliners if you're wondering why they're small):  

Spoiler

Biggest: 124 seats

2nd Biggest: 113 seats

Average: 78 seats (6 auditoriums are this size)

4th Smallest: 69 seats

3rd Smallest: 67 seats

2nd Smallest: 63 seats

Smallest: 60 seats

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, CoolEric258 said:

Theater Update:

Paddington 4 2252 0.18%
Proud Mary 12 1845 0.65%
The Commuter 0 2318  

Evening Update:

Paddington 39 2252 1.73%
Proud Mary 107 1845 5.80%
The Commuter 7 2318 0.30%
Fifty Shades 221 1921 11.50%
Black Panther 351 2176 16.13%

Proud Mary saw a dramatic increase, with most of it coming from its Friday show. Maybe it's because of my area, but this could be in for a breakout. Cookie Monster, her POWAH! And of course, Black Panther saw a big growth.

• Like 4

2nd local (Regal) is up...here's the set...

NEW

Paddington (1)

I Tonya (1)

Proud Mary (1)

Commuter (1)

The Post (1)

Returning

Insidious (1)

Molly's Game (1)

PP3 (1)

The Shape of Water (1)

Jumanji (1)

The Greatest Showman (1)

TLJ (1 - 4 total showings, but it survives for the week!)

GONE

Darkest Hour (another surprise to me, but something has to go), Father Figures (NOT a surprise:), Ferdinand (this one looks to be getting killed this weekend - no MoviePass viewers, no go:), Coco (dumping both kids movies and only booking Paddington for family weekend)

MT.com end of day...no Friday opening movies cracking it yet, but I expect some tomorrow...

28% Agnathavasi - Prince in Exile

13% Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle

8.2% Insidious: The Last Key

7.3% Star Wars: The Last Jedi

7.2% Greatest Showman, The

Edited by TwoMisfits

53 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

It's fucking insane to think that Hostiles is going to have a TC 30% bigger (3,000) than a WB movie (2,300 for 12 Strong) next weekend. It's even in almost 1k theaters more than Den of Thieves!

maybe the 3000 is a typo, I just honestly can't see it happening

2 hours ago, CoolEric258 said:

Evening Update:

Paddington 39 2252 1.73%
Proud Mary 107 1845 5.80%
The Commuter 7 2318 0.30%
Fifty Shades 221 1921 11.50%
Black Panther 351 2176 16.13%

Proud Mary saw a dramatic increase, with most of it coming from its Friday show. Maybe it's because of my area, but this could be in for a breakout. Cookie Monster, her POWAH! And of course, Black Panther saw a big growth.

Image result for i'm the bomb gif

• Like 1

Hostiles is going to be an epic bomb.  

I, Tonya is hitting around 500 theaters this weekend I would guess.  Given it got like 5 BAFTA Nominations and won Best Supporting Actress at the Golden Globes, I think it gets at least 3 Oscar nominations.  

They are at $5.66m right now, likely around $6.5m before the weekend expansion.  Likely $11m after the 4 day.  

Another expansion wide next week, then Oscar noms and a very empty schedule with the Olympics and I see this getting to $30m+

• Like 5

1 minute ago, EmpireCity said:

I, Tonya is hitting around 500 theaters this weekend I would guess.  Given it got like 5 BAFTA Nominations and won Best Supporting Actress at the Golden Globes, I think it gets at least 3 Oscar nominations.  

They are at $5.66m right now, likely around $6.5m before the weekend expansion.  Likely $11m after the 4 day.  

Another expansion wide next week, then Oscar noms and a very empty schedule with the Olympics and I see this getting to $30m+

I think it's coming for at least 5 Oscar noms now (Picture, Actress, Supporting Actress, Screenplay, Costume Design), which should boost grosses. I'm happy Neon has already made a big impact in their first year as a studio.

6 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

I can see it breaking 1.5k theaters over Super Bowl weekend or January 26. Those two weeks only have one movie coming out, and the chances of it being a BP nominee are getting better by the day.